Colouring skills in new VU. WTF

NorthernTitan

Provider
So, does anyone out there know the best way to skill in the new VU. I just blew through 400 orange paint that I had stored up previous to the new VU, and got a whopping 2 lvls in colouring and 1 lvl of colour matching, very painful, expecially considering I started with only 26 for colouring and 11 for colour matching. So anyone who figures out just how the hell we're supposed to skill colouring please share, as I'm sure I'm not the only one who's having issues skilling it right now.

So, does anyone out there know the best way to skill in the new VU. I just blew through 400 orange paint that I had stored up previous to the new VU, and got a whopping 2 lvls in colouring and 1 lvl of colour matching, very painful, expecially considering I started with only 26 for colouring and 11 for colour matching. So anyone who figures out just how the hell we're supposed to skill colouring please share, as I'm sure I'm not the only one who's having issues skilling it right now.

Well, you can use up to 1000 cans now, so just keep trying. You do get some PEDs back when coloring.

Yeah, that is nice to get some of the value back, however, what about the skills. I used 100 paint on 1 and got 1 lvl of colourer. Do you get more if you use 1000?

I had a quick try on the day of the VU to see what had changed.

I am a total noob at colouring, I had 3 Colour Matching and 4 Colouring.

I did 20 clicks of 1 orange paint each on a basic pattern shirt. This took ages, probably about 10 minutes (as they haven't improved the interface in these changes, which is what I was expecting).

I got 1 skill gain - in Colouring, I think, though it may have been on Colour Matching. Whatever it was, I am still on 3 Colour Matching and 4 Colouring.

Won't be doing that again in a hurry.

PS Recoda, what do you mean about getting PEDs back? Am I missing something here, should I have got some tailoring residue or something? I got nothing at all, but perhaps that's because of using 1 can.

what do you mean about getting PEDs back?

Every time you use paint, a certain amount is transferred to the item, a certain amount is lost. If something is left over, but too little for a can, you will receive the value of it in PEC or PED, just like residue and remnants etc in crafting.

Every time you use paint, a certain amount is transferred to the item, a certain amount is lost. If something is left over, but too little for a can, you will receive the value of it in PEC or PED, just like residue and remnants etc in crafting.

OK, I see. Sort of. Is this new or is this part of the old system too? As I mentioned above, I am very much a colouring noob, but I have never had any return from colouring other than a badly-coloured shirt. Possibly this is just due to me using 1 can at a time only.

THis is new, its nice that you get some value from the paint put into the clothes, however, there's got to be a better way to skill, otherwise it will be the new most expensive trade in my oppinion, and people who already had a bunch of skills are set right up now.

THis is new, its nice that you get some value from the paint put into the clothes, however, there's got to be a better way to skill, otherwise it will be the new most expensive trade in my oppinion, and people who already had a bunch of skills are set right up now.

I also found this. did not look so much on my skill gain.

But one thing that I wounder. If you colour something, is it better to color and then repair? Do you follow my thought. If it's fully repaired you get the amount fro the paint back in PECs, but if you colour a damaged one you bring that in to the shirt. Maybe no big difference?

If you have a full repaired shirt. Color, now you have increased markup cause of the color. And also got the pecs back. (so u save some pecs?)

Or if if you color a damaged shirt, no pecs back and same markup cause of colored and better looking. Still got the same looks.

My coloring experiences with new VU

It does not really matter if you repair the item before coloring or not, the returned tt value of the paint goes onto the item - or if 100% allready or if reaching 100% in that process you get the tt value in ped+pec , the value stays the same

It does also seem that the sucess of coloring is not influenced by item condition. color something really broken, repair it and it looks fine. same result if you repair first and color later (it is just better to see the result and for the preview if item is repaired)

I tried some color skilling the very first day and burned some k of paintcans that I had collected.. just very very few skill gains :(

I even tried one shot with 1k can in one field - no skill gain at all :mad:

So while that returning the tt value of paint is good, and that you can preview all colors is good too - try paints that are higher than your level and you will see even with the 1k cans your success rate is very short and red...

The highly amount of paint needed is a real showstopper here if the prices dont drop dramatically.. that on the other hand is very bad for everybody who had some stocks of paints in storage

For the colors I "mastered" (over SIB) I need 80 for an acceptable success rate, 150 to be sure. It goes up to ~400 for an acceptable success rate on Violet Cream where I have SIB atm

For the speed of skilling - it is even slower as the splitting of the cans need more time now and I have to spend more time to collect the massive amount of paint cans needed.

I just enjoy that I can use most of the new colors and can now use 11colors instead of 6 I could do before VU ;)

HHI

Color kitten has tested a few things and found something interesting

I took a look in my shop and decided I need to fix up some of the clothes to be able to sell them. So I think hmmm rather than just put peds in them I will practice coloring on them because that fixes them too and I need to do skilling anyhow ^.^

Well after a few tries I think hmmmmm higher tt value paint = more skill usually. I notice that 7/8ths of the TT value of the paint is applied to the clothes TT value sooooo

I grab brown. Its looting in buckets. Its cheep.

One field blue 150 cans to get a good success rate. One field that I did not really want colored anyhow I put in 100 brown and brown is past my current skill level so bad success rate. But more TT value toward skill gains right?

Well in 20 mins I gained 1/4 of a rank.. a full RANK not a skill points in coloring O.O

Thats the fastest skill gain I ever had!

Sooo cheep markup paint in large batches just to raise TT of clothes for sale really gave me great skill gains

Hope this help everyone

Hugs and kisses

Kitten

well thats nice :) You obviously had some colouring lvl's prior to the new VU however, 250 Orange paints still has an aweful success rate for me. The new colourer is screwed in this VU, it would take an eon to get even to Rank 10, and with the markups, well yeah.... (Just doesn't seem too feesable). The older more skilled colourers seems to have it absolutely made now though, will take a new person forever and a day and a gazzilion PED to even come close to catching up. Wish I used the paint I had in storage for skilling prior to the new VU (was saving up for a good skilling run) now its not worth anything skills wise. So if anyone has a suggestion on how a noob colourer can gain some skills, please please please share.

I'm still a noob colorer ut with 10 cans of brown I got skill gains.
Good idea to practice on low TT gear.
One thing that happened was that I got something called "Basic pigment enhacer" looks like it can enhance the result of the color you add.
1 can = 0.01 PED so it might need a lot of doese to enhance the color result.

The realy strange thing and maybe anoying for you that have good skills. I put a work pattern pants in the colorer, put in one can of light blue. Got the warning message that this was below my skills. Pressed color button and then i actually did color the pants with that color. (no skill gain though)

Just 1 can!

Last edited:
So IMO it looks like coloring service is no longer worth it.

I have experimented with just 1 can.

I still have noob skills, can only do orange, yellow and blue.

I used 1 can each try and used colors that i don't have skills for. And often at second or third atempt it worked. :)

it's about finding a happy medium or how many paint cans to use. I'm pretty sure you can gain skill even if you arn't sucessfull...

My recommendation would be to use the least amount of the lowesst lvl paint possible when coloring...

i haven't tried anything yet, so don't take this as gospel, but in general, return was always based on tt/click. i have always liked to think that the same goes for the skillgains. more spent, more exp gained.

So IMO it looks like coloring service is no longer worth it.

I have experimented with just 1 can.

I still have noob skills, can only do orange, yellow and blue.

I used 1 can each try and used colors that i don't have skills for. And often at second or third atempt it worked. :)

I'm still very interested of your thoughts regarding this.
Just a minute ago I thought gren shoestrings on my reilly boots would match the other clothes. So I bleached, colored with 1 green can. Took me three attempts to succeed. So 3 cans of green used and three bleaches. With a color I don't have skills enough to use. Something is wrong IMO. But not complaining though :) I start to look OK, not my old me, but OK.

Hmmm, that seems odd that you would have a 1/3 chance at painting any colour, that would muck things up pretty well wouldn't it. But all the same, anyone figure out a half-assed efficient way of skilling with the new colouring system?

I am doing some tests atm and I can surely say skilling with 1 can clicks - forget about this! From 100clicks I got NO coloring skill, not one single point.

The success rate .. ye but try more than one field ..
It also seemed that Green (or all new paints) have higher success rate than old colors. With 100clicks 1 can per field I got NO success on all 3 fields, some on 1 field and rarely on 2 fields.

Will post when my tests are done :cool:

My experience with the new VU:
please note I have to do further testing to verify my results but feel free to test
You get more experience by using more paint per field than less for the same number of total paint, ie, I used a total of 1600x3 cans, in run A is used 100x8 cans in 2 field, in run B 200x4 cans in 2 field in run C was 400x4 cans in one field. Results: not allot of skill gains, but the results were different. In run B i got the most skills even though I used the same amount of cans. I got approximately 50% more skills than in run A.
The interesting comparison is run B and C however and the difference in Color matching compared to Colorer skill points. I gained approximately twice as many "color matching" skills in B than in C But 20% less "colorer"
As i said above I need to do more testing to verify my results

My experience with the new VU:
please note I have to do further testing to verify my results but feel free to test
You get more experience by using more paint per field than less for the same number of total paint, ie, I used a total of 1600x3 cans, in run A is used 100x8 cans in 2 field, in run B 200x4 cans in 2 field in run C was 400x4 cans in one field. Results: not allot of skill gains, but the results were different. In run B i got the most skills even though I used the same amount of cans. I got approximately 50% more skills than in run A.
The interesting comparison is run B and C however and the difference in Color matching compared to Colorer skill points. I gained approximately twice as many "color matching" skills in B than in C But 20% less "colorer"
As i said above I need to do more testing to verify my results

Thats excelent to share good data. I try to do bare min 50 click runs prefer 100 click runs to get a better data average so I will be doing some results soon when I have a chance.

As a note I colored a Hat today with 250ish paint per field of purple / green / yellow and got a raise in both coloring and color matching and not a small one it was a really good 1.6 skill points in each. Its for sure more paint more skill we need to figure out where the cost to gain tappers off so we don't waste to much peds. I hope we all get some good data soon for figure this out.

Of course its different depend on your skills so its going to be a constant learn for all

huggles to all

Cool Color Kitten >^.^<

I am doing some tests atm and I can surely say skilling with 1 can clicks - forget about this! From 100clicks I got NO coloring skill, not one single point.

The success rate .. ye but try more than one field ..
It also seemed that Green (or all new paints) have higher success rate than old colors. With 100clicks 1 can per field I got NO success on all 3 fields, some on 1 field and rarely on 2 fields.

Will post when my tests are done :cool:

Can't you just color one field at a time?

Im curius
I did a small run on violet cream (was going to do 40ped but stopped at 10ped), as I hunt feffs allot and get a nice amount of it.
I get the warning message but ignore it and didnt get any skills what so ever. Could it be that because I havent maxed it out yet that I dont get any skills or I get a small amount of skills based on the amount I should of gotten? ie ive got skill progress 12% on it and it gives me 12% of the skills I should get.

Not if she want the Hat to have all 3 colours.

I've only done a few clicks a long time ago. :)

What I meant was, can you color one field in one attempt, another field in the next attempt, etc.?

What I meant was, can you color one field in one attempt, another field in the next attempt, etc.?

You could but you have to bleach it each time and that would remove the previously applied field.

Nope its all at once.

and about the skilling I used a color past my skills and got plenty of skills when I use up enough TT of it

definately not like the old days, where 1K of orange paint could buy you quite a few lvl's. Now orange paint seems to be pretty useless for skilling, and well mostly just in general. Its a much nicer orange now, but still, who wants orange clothes. Anyone know if the type or lvl of clothing being coloured has any effect on colouring skills gained?

K, here's a question. Say you bleach and then repaint Limited chothings, does the paint value still get transferred to the (L) item. Like an alternative way of repairing them?

Back