Stamina - Skill decay - activity bonus.

Status
A change in the skill system to reduce skills growing forever is indeed preferable. But not in the way desrcibed here. Losing value is a bad thing and will make many people angry.

The way I would propose it, is to make stamina kinda like your condition. When you play a lot, your stamina is high, and you gain skills fast. When you play little, your stamina is low and you gain no skills. It should be a very variable factor though, meaning you should be able to get to top condition within a week, but also lose it in a week again. Although the exact timeframes should be finetuned using userdata, which I dont have access to. Additionally, it can also be made in such a way that when you have more skills, you need a better condition to gain skills too. So a noob would always gain skills, and ubers will have to work for it allot harder.

Alternatively, there could be a "condition" bar for every individual skill. Meaning that when you start crafting again after a period of hunting only, it will take some time to get in condition before you gain skills again.

Number of players also only go up and up... But maybe skilldecay can be the solution to this "problem" for MA
Sort of a final solution for entropia, very bad idea...

IRL my skills just go up and up forever... that wont stop until i either die, really die, or get alzheimer's! So why would my avatar get alzheimer's...!?

But yes, I'd like to see Stamina do something, maybe improve regeneration speed.

Improve regen, or add a sprint ability in which case you would have an energy bar which would reload and the higher your stamina the faster it reloads and the slower it drains.

I dont really its good :silly2:
I already see myself in a mess to skill up and to skill down while it goes up:scratch2: No ty :D

very very very bad idea

You will scare allot of casual players away who dont play 24/7 like you.
So after logging in a week then see them self at the same position as they were 1 month ago mayb.. what the point? where is the win sitiation?
If something like that would be implented im out.

I do not get it.. there is so much about entropia being expensive or TOO expensive, and you are calling for more expenses.
:scratch2:
You might want to think your proposal over, and this time make sure you involve the current playerbase and future playerbase, how it eally effects the game, and finally you..

You probably want to ask 711 to delete this post:laugh:

rather than decay,

how about a new skill called psychotic
it effects most professions and is determined by the average number of hours played per week over the previous 2 weeks, max of 10 hrs/pts allowed per day. so the range would be 0-70 pts.

would reward players who consistantly play but taking a 2 month break wouldnt kill ya cause you could regain your pts within just 2 weeks of playing again

???

buck

I do not get it.. there is so much about entropia being expensive or TOO expensive, and you are calling for more expenses.
:scratch2:
You might want to think your proposal over, and this time make sure you involve the current playerbase and future playerbase, how it eally effects the game, and finally you..

You probably want to ask 711 to delete this post:laugh:

I will not ask to delete it since I still think is a good idea. I knew most people will be against it and think I am crazy. But if you think deeper, you see that the effect on the community will be positive after such a change. People would be motivated to play. At all levels.

Skilling up stamina will decrease your skill decay, and at higher levels of stamina, the decay becomes irrelevant. But in order to reach such level, you need to be active.

Skills are worthless in EU. They have no value unless they are used or discarded in a chip. They have more an emotional value, rather than an economic value. As long as they are not chipped out, they only have a potential value. We alll know that a uber can ruin any skill market for a long time if he chooses to. So the potential value is relative.

Since skills have no real value if they are not used, decay on skills has not economic effect on players, if it is applied in the same way for all players.

Stamina can be made to bring decay to 0 if level 200 is reached. And since all activities would increase stamina, it is the fastest growing attribute, so an active player would bring it up without much effort.

Then again, an inactive player... why would he need skills?

People would be motivated to play. At all levels.

The motivation isn't the problem, my economy is :scratch2:

Since skills have no real value if they are not used, decay on skills has not economic effect on players, if it is applied in the same way for all players.

They might not have a real value until they are sold, BUT they can be sold, that means they have to be worth something.

Skill decay? I don't really like the idea, because that would make us pay a small ammount of skills instead of money every month and that would become a monthly fee. EU is a free to play game for those that don't want to deposit and it should stay that way..

-Tobi

Thx for your idea, it raised adrenalin levels in my blood. It pumped up my blood pressure. It almost killed me coz of anger. Please give us another great idea of yours. Maybe it will put me out of my missery and ill get to a place where people use brain for thinking not a*s.

Interesting thought, although I'm not sure why skills would simply decay as time passed by. Perhaps a decay through dis-use would be realistic. If I had built up my handgun skill for instance and then stopped shooting handguns for a couple months, it would make sense that my skill might diminish (just like it increased when I used it). Imagine what this would mean for someone who stopped playing over the summer though... all that hard work would start to disappear.

I'm not sure I'm for something like this, but I like ideas that make you think!

This is preety mine view too.
But i also believe that players should be able freeze their accounts(via web control layout), in case they will decide take a break if this would be implemented.

you are a weird guy, thats all i have to say.

A weird guy.

Hmmm, I quite like the fact I can take a break and come back the same later. Especially for some of the professions that I only occasionally skill in, it'd be very frustrating to watch it all eke away slowly when I'm not doing it. And for the people who bought their skills and don't play that much, this means they have to keep buying more skills to stay level.

No, don't like it.

But yes, I'd like to see Stamina do something, maybe improve regeneration speed.

ive been thinking the same use for it.. INCREASE PLAYERS REGEN TOO.. LIKE U DID TO MOBS

I will not ask to delete it since I still think is a good idea. I knew most people will be against it and think I am crazy. But if you think deeper, you see that the effect on the community will be positive after such a change. People would be motivated to play. At all levels.

I don't think people would be motivated to play. I think we'd see the biggest mass walkout in EU's history tbh.

Not sure why you feel its necessary tbh. Because you think everyone will one day by lvl 100 in their main profession? Not going to happen. People with mod merc sure. Rest of people, only the really dedicated skillers are going to get there.

Or because you think there's too much skill volume in EU? Well, so skills will decline in value a bit over time perhaps. Don't see why that's any worse/better than them slowly decaying away.

Skills are worthless in EU. They have no value unless they are used or discarded in a chip. They have more an emotional value, rather than an economic value. As long as they are not chipped out, they only have a potential value. We alll know that a uber can ruin any skill market for a long time if he chooses to. So the potential value is relative.

Well I dunno, skills give me more HP, better evade, I can kill stuff I couldn't kill 6 months ago. I can use weapons I couldn't use six months ago. etc.

Whether you call that economic value or not is up to you. But certainly it means I can do stuff I wouldn't otherwise be able to do, and do other stuff more economically.

I was thinking of the fact that skills in EU have a problem.
<snip rest of drivel>
You are offering a solution to a problem that does not exist. Moreover, your solution sucks.

First off, decay is bad enough for stuff you use. Now you think decay should be implemented for things you don't use?
Skills are won through hard investments, either thru play or thru chipping. It would be an obscene travesty to let these investments decay because a player would be inactive for a month.
And I find it obscene to even suggest it.

Second, MA has already demonstrated their view on this 'problem': They introduce items that require higher and higher professional levels. This is an intelligent way to deal with ever increasing skill levels, rather than just take away something a player already paid a lot of money for.

Thirdly, many players would be affected that don't have the funds to play on a (now mandatory) regular basis. In other words, the less well-off. I can't help but suspect you are not one of those.

Lastly, your 'solution' only 'works' for those who don't play regularly. All active players would keep increasing their skills at the normal rate. In your scenario, what do you about them?

EU is free to play. In your scenario, it no longer will be, because a player will be REQUIRED to log in and play, just to keep his current investments at the same level.
It would seriously fuck this virtual world up.

Sheez. :handjob:

This is not true. Skilling always continues to have a point for at least one of two reasons:

1. Once you have reached the skill level you are comfortable with maintaining, you can sell extra skills to finance your play.
2. Even when weapons are maxed, extra skills continue to increase some stats of the weapon passed their maximum potential (meaning, over 100%). Just ask VVV.
And don't forget items already exist that require more than prof level 100.

nice idea ... and why not adding a 5% decay on all items that stay unused in storage??? :eek:

Naaah seriously ... EU is free and should stay like that! adding such a decay will probably cause many players to put all skills on chip in order to don't loose their time (and money) investment!!!
It took me a loooong time to reached my current handgun level and suddenly, i'll see all my skills gone little by little !!!

I think that one of EU big advantages is that due to being free, you can play just when you want, when you can!
EU allow everyone to play at their own rythm ... skills slowly but economically, chip all in once if you got money and are hurry to hunt biggest mob etc ...
... having a fee would kill that!!!

I've never want to play to another well known mmorpg because i don't want to be obliged to play due to paying each month ... for sure i'll stop EU if such features arrive!

...Skill decay implementation...

I'm speechless...I've heard dumb ideas (including this one) before and it has to be the worst.

How about we do a trial run and you give me an ESI full of your skills every time you take a day off?

I think that'll cure you of this streak of madness rather quickly.

:eek:

Skill decay was already implemented ages ago. It's called chipping out. It's good for players to earn something for their commitment/activity and it's good for MA, because the process involves significant decay and it reduces the total amount of skills in the game, which decreases the problem of skill saturation. What's also good is that the process is voluntary and rewarding. People want to do it, because they get paid by doing it.

What you propose is automated "chipping out" where both players and MA would just lose the money that comes directly from chipping now. Together with the devastating demotivational effect of knowing that what you worked for is constantly losing value. Sorry, but I want it to be my decision if I want to "lose" skills and I want that to be profitable - just as it is now, by chipping out.

Proper way to deal with those who feel they have no use for their skills anymore is for MA to create new challenges: new, tougher mobs, better weapons, tools, etc.

But, if you really want your skills to decrease by 5% each month, then chip out 5% each month.

People would be motivated to play. At all levels.

My motivation is not a problem...the size of my bank account is...and since skilling is already VERY expensive (and very looooooong) I would be gratefull for you to stop trying to find ways to make it become even pricier/long...

You should take a brake now...you musta'v played this game for too long :wise:

LOL this MUST be a joke, noone can be this tarded:yay: skilldecay ROFL man you make me laugh.. WTF is wrong with you? didnt your mother love you as a child? abused by the buss driver who picked you up with the short buss???

FFS tell me that this was a joke.. lol

For some one who plays so heavily you should keep it up and spend less time posting crazy ideas like this on EF.

Actually wanting further decay and devaluing skills people have worked so hard to earn or paid so much to buy is just bizarre to me.

MA are quite good enough at screwing their playerbase thank you very much, they don't need help with new ideas and how to do this they have plenty of their own already.

You opinion suits you very much more than 99% of the remaining playerbase and I think you should keep crazy ideas like this in your own mind. Or perhaps you should take a break, too much shooting with that MM of yours is sending you a wee bit bonkers.

After a certain level, when all weapons are maxed, your faps are maxed, mobs don't hit you, you can craft any BP with max CoS etc, skilling IS pointless.

No one has maxed all weapons and tools, so luckily your scenario does not exist. Also "mobs don't hit you" doesn't exist either, as Mindark use a "getting closer to" system so the mobs will always hit you less, but never reach zero (which is not really zero either).

But if you think deeper, you see that the effect on the community will be positive after such a change. People would be motivated to play. At all levels.

Skilling up stamina will decrease your skill decay, and at higher levels of stamina, the decay becomes irrelevant. But in order to reach such level, you need to be active.

How this would motivate anyone is very strange to me. A new guy will hardly notice the change. "Reskilling" 10-20 points in rifle is nothing when you're only at 1-2k - so it might not put him off, but I can't see it motivating him either. Reskilling 10-20 points when you're at 10-20k, however, is a very different thing. "Motivate" is the wrong word here, "force" is more fit. I would even argue that a very high skilled player will reach a "wall" where they can no longer skill enough to keep the skills they gain during the month - in effect creating a skill barrier or a skill cap - something Mindark has said from day one that will not be in Entropia.

I can't see why everything has to be about making money, creating worth. I like my skills and don't chip on a regular basis to cover my losses. Most online games are about making progress - skills is the only real indicator of that, in Entropia (being that we don't have all these quests and stuff that you find in other games). If you buy your way forward, that's not real progress to me (roughly speaking), because I'm not here to be a professional. What's wrong with the emotional value? :confused:

I think its stupid....

Dreaming is nice:yay:

Why not also suggest that Mindark will collect my decayed skills and save it, when I have 100 ped decay they sent it back to me :yay:

Dont understand why some people allways want to loose more money, instead of gained them :confused:

Rapido

NO!

What this would do is make the game even more addictive for those who would still play after such a change. Because then you wouldnt hunt or mine or whatever just to skill up, but also to not skill down. What are you supposed to do? Skill 24 hours a day before you go on vacation a while so you will be the same level as before the skilling, when you come back? Im sorry, but this is stupid.

Its not motivation. Its addiction.
And the fact that this is a RCE makes it even more scary imo. You have to do a certain action to not lose any money in skills. The action forces you to spend money to skill up. If its profitable or not, thats uncertain. But I think most of you know which way it usually goes.

Most of the people in entropia is adults. They have work to do, families to attend to, and everything that comes with it. You're not supposed to be 'motivated' to not spend time with them because you 'have to' maintain your level in entropia.
That would effectivly stop the weekend-players from bothering about EU. (And no, weekend players doesnt have to be noobs.)

Im sorry, I know its only an idea, but this acctually got me a little pissed off.

NO!

What this would do is make the game even more addictive for those who would still play after such a change. Because then you wouldnt hunt or mine or whatever just to skill up, but also to not skill down. What are you supposed to do? Skill 24 hours a day before you go on vacation a while so you will be the same level as before the skilling, when you come back? Im sorry, but this is stupid.

And the fact that this is a RCE makes it even more scary imo. You have to do a certain action to not lose any money in skills. The action forces you to spend money to skill up. If its profitable or not, thats uncertain. But I think most of you know which way it usually goes.

Most of the people in entropia is adults. They have work to do, families to attend to, and everything that comes with it. You're not supposed to be 'motivated' to not spend time with them because you 'have to' maintain your level in entropia.
That would effectivly stop the weekend-players from bothering about EU. (And no, weekend players doesnt have to be noobs.)

Im sorry, I know its only an idea, but this acctually got me a little pissed off.

well i understand blacks point of view in this coz he already plays 24/7.. this is his life.. he has no friends so this would be good thing to him coz he wouldnt decay on skills

NO!
And the fact that this is a RCE makes it even more scary imo. You have to do a certain action to not lose any money in skills. The action forces you to spend money to skill up.

Yeah, me too. And so did a lot of others.

I'd +rep ya if I could. :D

Proper way to deal with those who feel they have no use for their skills anymore is for MA to create new challenges: new, tougher mobs, better weapons, tools, etc.

Skill decay is a bad idea.

Now that I look back on it the skill compression VU sort of sucked but I think it just bought MA time to expand EU at a slower pace. There will be plenty of weapons and equipment that need high skills. It will be mostly (L) stuff but we already see it today. Nyxy post pretty much sums up what I think.

If MA implemented your idea it would literally kill the skill chip market over night. Why by a nice chip if it will just decay over time? :rolleyes: The skill chip market generates a lot of decay from the tools used to the 10% skill reduction. I don't think MA would trade that for time/activity based skill decay.

People already find the skill compression a bit of a hinderance to get to high levels to utilize some of the better equipment. Why in the world would they want to add more of a barrier to people trying to get to higher levels?

Skill decay would stagnate a big portion of the EU economy IMO. EU is frustrating enough at times it would be even more so if I went on a two week vacation and returned to find my skills reduced.

I measure progress via making new ranks in skills, new professional levels, and unlocking new skills. Just playing to maintain a certain level means progress would be even slower than it is with the skill compression.

While I would love to dedicate my entire day to EU I cannot and if something like this was implemented and it either stagnated my progression or even reversed my avatars course I would be looking at finding a new MMO.

This may sound harsh but instead of coming up with ideas that basically penalize people who cannot play 10-16 hours a day why not be happy knowing you are skilling much faster than others and opening up your avatar to new possibilities. It will take others who participate ~4 hours a day four times as long to match one 16 hour day.

There is always something new around the corner and there will always be reasons to continue skilling. Nothing is ever truely maxed out in EU.

Skill decay is a bad idea.
Well doh. :laugh:

...if something like this was implemented and it either stagnated my progression or even reversed my avatars course I would be looking at finding a new MMO.
I would leave EU, that's for sure.

This may sound harsh but instead of coming up with ideas that basically penalize people who cannot play 10-16 hours a day why not be happy knowing you are skilling much faster than others and opening up your avatar to new possibilities.
Very good observation. It's not enough to be in a privileged situation, he has to dump on those less fortunate as well.

I'd +rep ya if I could. :D

Status
Back