Stamina - Skill decay - activity bonus.

Status
Umm Stay off the Crack!!! you should stay in game more and off the forum, maybe higher level Mobs can keep your mind busy from ideas to make people mad.
on another note, this virtual world is supposed to be better than Real life , how can it be better if it has the same or worse physics or physical laws than IRL, hmm?
i can see article, "Virtual World become worse than Real Life" millions flock back out of the Matrix :eek::laugh::laugh::laugh:

but you probably wanted all this critiscism when you made this thread.I got 1 thing to say DON"T GIVE MA MORE IDEAS TO COST US THE DESIRE TO STAY IN THEIR PRODUCT, the money factor might cloud over their reasoning factor and suddenly they have a Huge Run on their bank to withdraw. wonder what that would do to them or their operating budget?

Recommendation for you : STAY IN GAME , Never come out, you can;t think well IRL ;)

Isn't it the idea behind proportion skills decay is to allow new account open today having the chance to reach uber players whom account open 5 years ago? And don't tell noob they have the ability to chip-in! that not a valid arguement.

I'm not for or against. Just trying to understand...

If possible include your skills level when posting reply. Just curious noob/uber is for or against skills decay.

I understand the pros and cons some have posted (I haven't read all though ;)) and to be honest I also had that idea about skill decay a while ago. Yes, it will hurt everybody and since BlackHawk's intitial idea was to make a percentage it would hurt the ubers more than others.

Since that idea I couldn't come up with something else. I don't know other RPGs so I don't have anything to compare EU with.

In the end we're looking at ubers becoming more and more unreachable if you don't want to empty your wallet and chip all those skills. It's nice for noobs to see what you can (or actually could) do but that glance doesn't last too long and noobs notice that that's something they probably will never become. That's a bit sad.

On the other hand it's somewhat unfair to take away skills. Though that would add some realism. If you reconstruct an ancient clock for the first time you make mistakes but you learn with it. The second time around it gets easier and the more often you work on those clocks the easier it will be. If you do something else and hold another clock in your hands after a few months things won't go as smooth as with the last clock you did.

Well, it's not an easy topic...

Awful idea.

What I like about EU is that I can spend money instead of time to become skilled at something. I want it to stay that way.

If activity were to be rewarded, then this would be just another MMO for kids with too much time on their hands.

I'm simply speechless over this thread..........

Guess theres a guy needs urgently a break from his monitor and get a life. It may be unknown, but theres alot of adult peoples, married and maybee kid's. Entropia isn't a life but if you want believe it, MA will thank you and greeting at your dollars.

Out

I understand the pros and cons some have posted (I haven't read all though ;)) and to be honest I also had that idea about skill decay a while ago. Yes, it will hurt everybody and since BlackHawk's intitial idea was to make a percentage it would hurt the ubers more than others.
Wrong. Most ubers play more than enough to prevent any skill decay, and always have the funds to do so.

In the end we're looking at ubers becoming more and more unreachable if you don't want to empty your wallet and chip all those skills.
What other way should there be? How do you think they got there?

BlackHawks proposal is elitist. It targets those who do not play regularly. That excludes ubers almost by definition.

Hehe ok lets try to leave Blackhawk alone now, his great :handjob: idea got flamed enough :smash: I say!
lets see if this thread can slip towards the OooOOOoooO forum soon before MA will think the same as Blackhawk :rolleyes:

Isn't it the idea behind proportion skills decay is to allow new account open today having the chance to reach uber players whom account open 5 years ago? And don't tell noob they have the ability to chip-in! that not a valid arguement.

I'm not for or against. Just trying to understand...

If possible include your skills level when posting reply. Just curious noob/uber is for or against skills decay.

Ok play EU for 5 years and see where your avatar will be. Many of the high skilled avatars that I saw when I first started are either way ahead of me now or they have sold out and moved on. Does that stop me from trying to build my avatar up through either time or a well placed chip or two :ahh:? nope I will continue on.

As it stands now I see new avies skilling and playing at a level that took me years reach in way less time (you can thank MA for that). No matter what it will either take time and money or just money to reach higher levels thats just EU.

Past exploits aside, if you want to skill to high levels than work for it. Once you have grinded through thousands upon thousands upon thousands of mobs and bombs and crafting clicks see if skill decay makes sense.

WTF?? A new profession? MA Forum Tool? Ladies and gents this just shows you that smoking crack can ruin your mind. Of all the threads on all the forums I have ever read this has got to be THE most idiotic idea I have ever seen.
Dropped on the head indeed.More like severly beat in the head repeatedly.
This HAS to be an EFD troll.

Very rare - rep

Since that idea I couldn't come up with something else. I don't know other RPGs so I don't have anything to compare EU with.

In the end we're looking at ubers becoming more and more unreachable if you don't want to empty your wallet and chip all those skills. It's nice for noobs to see what you can (or actually could) do but that glance doesn't last too long and noobs notice that that's something they probably will never become. That's a bit sad.

On the other hand it's somewhat unfair to take away skills. Though that would add some realism. If you reconstruct an ancient clock for the first time you make mistakes but you learn with it. The second time around it gets easier and the more often you work on those clocks the easier it will be. If you do something else and hold another clock in your hands after a few months things won't go as smooth as with the last clock you did.

Well, it's not an easy topic...

Bloody hell, they're breeding :eek:

Neuter them, quick :wise:

Can imagine it would have some effect on the skill market, as your investment decays..., like L items.

Human stupidity and greed is unlimited.... :rolleyes:

Wrong. Most ubers play more than enough to prevent any skill decay, and always have the funds to do so.

What other way should there be? How do you think they got there?

BlackHawks proposal is elitist. It targets those who do not play regularly. That excludes ubers almost by definition.

Not reaaaally tho.
Specially if the decay makes it so that if you're not active in that profession then that profession will decay. Look at Starman for example. He seems to do different professions like tailoring and hunting, at length.. not sure if I word myself well here. He hunts for a long period, and then he tailors for a long period, yea? While he's active, he would still lose skills in the skill he doesnt maintain. And its like that for alot of the 'ubers', they have skills in alot of professions.

I point to Stoikow's post earlier on, I think he described it pretty well :)

Would be nice with some sort of reward for being active. But this is a very bad way to do it. As some people have already said in this thread one of the great things about Entropia is that you can play as much or as little as you want and pay for what you play. And that you can do any profession you want and become infinetly skilled in any or all professions. Be a miner for a few weeks, hunt for a year, craft for a few months and go back to mining or taming or whatever. Having to downgrade your equipment or chip up every time you pick up mining again would be disheartening for many players.
If you have 20k rifle you would in your example lose 390 levels per month, which I would guess is almost 500peds tt value, in one skill, every month.
So eventually a hardcore hunter would have to hunt 15 hours per day just to maintain his hunting skill.
I'm very active in the game but should be punished because I don't do everything every week?

I can't see a single good thing about this suggestion, rewarding people for activity would be nice, but this is the wrong way to do it. First of all because it punishes active people more than it rewards them (in the case of the 20k rifle uber hunter f.e). Most other games of this type have class systems which makes you unable to practice more than one or a few professions. But I think most Entropia players would prefer this universe to keep the current system where you can be a jack of all trades and take a break every now and then without it costing them hundreds of dollars. And for ubers (with two dozen skills at 10-20k) thousands of dollars per month.

i would say this is the main reason standing behind BlackHawk's idea (if i'm not very wrong understanding him):

...But if you think deeper, you see that the effect on the community will be positive after such a change. People would be motivated to play. At all levels...

and we all have to admit that - pushing people to play - would be a good thing, with positive effect for everybody...

BUT:

i wont even bother to analyse and evaluate IF and/or HOW, this "Skill decay" method would motivate ppl to play... because, although improving the "activity" in EU may be a very good goal, IT IS NOT OUR RESPONSIBILITY...!!! (almost) any 'activity' in EU costs money... and we (well... most of us...) are paying those money to 'participate' in this virtual universe, RCE, game... or whatever EU is named; consequently, someone (MA) earns good money to provide the environment, including the features to attract/encourage ppl to play...

again: a better level of 'activity' would be indeed a very good thing to happen... (in the end, more 'activity' --> more money spent ingame --> bigger lootpool --> and last but not least better prizes for 'deserving' ones... errr... i should have said 'for everybody', isn't it?)... but, more 'activity' should be an induced option rather then an enforced one... put some more FUN (whatever that FUN would mean) into the environment and that would encourage ppl - especially new ppl - to have 'activity'... respectively to spend money here

any solid documented analysis, (and even an educated guess) would show that milking further the current active playerbase already had its CAP and it is no longer an valid option... in order to increase the "global economy value" (depending on who reads this, it may be "lootpool" or "income"), we all (and especially the 'harvesters') should better think about some ways to add 2-3k more participants into the universe rather then trying to force the existing 2-3ks to spend more...

and finally, since the "Skill decay" would be nothing else but a new tax on current active playerbase (a tax for non-activity... lol)... i really doubt on it's real "benefits"...

Whats next?Higher depo costs cause the guys making money in here dont need to worry about that.
Then we can follow up with fee's to charge for having ped in the game.Anything on your ped card gets a 5% tax per 24 hours average and you will have to invest in the banks.
Where do these Ideas come from??:rolleyes: See the avatar but you dont have to BE the avater.

instead of losing skills,why not just lose money off your ped card or if thats at zero, have your items decay through inactivity. Or if your inactive for a long time lose your items completely, wait a second that sounds familiar.:rolleyes:

this is the worst idea ever in the history of the world not just games. As it would be completely unfair - say I invest a lot of money on gaining skills then i fall ill and cannot play the game. A year or so later i recover and start playing again - i would have lost all or most of my skills.

Someone suggested old avatars that no longer are activbe should have their accounts deleted - in another post i read. This idea is as useless as that one. Again say in the above case someone falls ill (and anyone can fall ill in real life). Once they are better they will find their account deleted - how rubbish is that !

Ijust the thought this may be implemented makes me want to think i should never have started playing this. If it is implemented many players including myself would quit the game and not many would be willing to start to play.

Once again an utterly useless idea - The Worst Idea i have ever heard .

i dont understand why its helpfull to penalise ppl who dont play much

if someone isnt active then ma should find a way to encourage that player to come back.... fining him and taking his skills away isnt going to make them think "oh cool game i'll go and play again"

in fact this would drive ppl away, and eu need ppl joining... not the other way around

we all know plenty of ppl who have quit and then come back... a move like this would encourage ppl who are thinking of taking a break to sell out to avoid skill decay... and then there is a much smaller chance of them coming back

so its actualy a move that imo could kill the game off.... would be good for AW fans tho :) lol

This would make me quit.
Worst idea I ever heared.

I play when I want and how I want and should not be penalized for not playing, not crafting, not mining for a long period etc ...

Why not just the traditional rounding errors:
when the user has reached 999.9 he then goes back to zero ;)

i would say this is the main reason standing behind BlackHawk's idea (if i'm not very wrong understanding him):

and we all have to admit that - pushing people to play - would be a good thing, with positive effect for everybody...

BUT:

i wont even bother to analyse and evaluate IF and/or HOW, this "Skill decay" method would motivate ppl to play... because, although improving the "activity" in EU may be a very good goal, IT IS NOT OUR RESPONSIBILITY...!!! (almost) any 'activity' in EU costs money... and we (well... most of us...) are paying those money to 'participate' in this virtual universe, RCE, game... or whatever EU is named; consequently, someone (MA) earns good money to provide the environment, including the features to attract/encourage ppl to play...

again: a better level of 'activity' would be indeed a very good thing to happen... (in the end, more 'activity' --> more money spent ingame --> bigger lootpool --> and last but not least better prizes for 'deserving' ones... errr... i should have said 'for everybody', isn't it?)... but, more 'activity' should be an induced option rather then an enforced one... put some more FUN (whatever that FUN would mean) into the environment and that would encourage ppl - especially new ppl - to have 'activity'... respectively to spend money here

any solid documented analysis, (and even an educated guess) would show that milking further the current active playerbase already had its CAP and it is no longer an valid option... in order to increase the "global economy value" (depending on who reads this, it may be "lootpool" or "income"), we all (and especially the 'harvesters') should better think about some ways to add 2-3k more participants into the universe rather then trying to force the existing 2-3ks to spend more...

and finally, since the "Skill decay" would be nothing else but a new tax on current active playerbase (a tax for non-activity... lol)... i really doubt on it's real "benefits"...

Great post +rep.

If the initial intent of the OP was to motivate people I can think of many many other ways MA could motivate people. I mean really MA and any one who has spent time in PE/EU can think back to instances where participation was through the roof. Events, special item drops, Version Updates, new implementation of professions or branching out a profession like texturing. All of those lead to more activity and more participation. Certain nerfs or added taxes IMO lead to a down turn in activity. Tailoring and rare clothes prices took a nose dive after the equip tax and while texturing and more colors makes it a bit more interesting I still don't see many people taking off their armor or changing clothes very often.

I am more willing to tell my friends and try to get them to participate if I looted a great item or a big TT value loot. Knowing something like that is possible will perk their interest. Telling them if they don't play for a week thier hard earned skills will eventually deteriorate well..................they won't even bother trying EU.

this thread sucks. MA has a tendacy to listen to the terrible costly ideas of some posters, but not the intelligent game play suggestion of others. even if one bad idea is posted and twenty great ideas are posted, we always get the bad idea implemented. this thread sucks.

one of the biggest things about entropia (for me) is that when i stop playing for a month or two, or even just slow down, i don't suffer. if i was playing a pay-per-month i would be losing out if i wasn't active 24/7. in entropia i choose my involvement level.

oh, and for people under 100 in professoin rate, imo, skills DO count. at least they still do for me. also, i doubt seriously that i gain more than 5% of my skill monthly anyway. i would be loosing so much so fast, god i wish you'd have kept your keyboard closed and not posted this stupid, stupid thread.

I was thinking of the fact that skills in EU have a problem. They go up and up and up and the process never stops. Then MA to counter this fact, will implement different skill nerfes that make all people happy. On the other hand, skills no longer reflect the activity in game, but they reflect how much one is decided to invest in skills. Attributes are not a good indication of a character involvement in a profession, because in different moment of time was easier or harder to get them.

We all have one skill that is not implemented and I think MA still has no clue what to do with it, but they have it because most other games out there have this and it sounds good on the board of skills. So I was thinking a change could help the community. And that is introducing the skill decay.

I know this subject was discussed in passed and I know I will get few more -rep's for that... but I still think is a good idea and it will make it better for all of us.

Skill decay implementation

We know that each skill contribute in many different professions in order to make our avatar to perform in different situations. Also, is clear that the skill increas is proportional in a way with how much the contribution is in the profession you perform. Knowing that, a fair way of implementing the decay is to choose the amount of loss should be applied in one skill based on its value and contribution in overall professions.
The decay should be applied each month, based on the day of birth of our avatar. Each month, the avatar will lose in each skill 5%*minimum_contribution_factor to our professions.

This would mean, that for example, if you have 1000 commando, you will have after decay 1000-1000*0.05*0.03=998.5
That is because commando contribute with 3% in hit professions.
If you have 10k LWT, because it contributes with 4% to Laser Weapon Engineer profession, you will have 10k-10k*0.05*0.04=9980

Stamina will reduce the decay on skills. At level 1 the decay is maximum, at level 100, the decay is reduced by 20%.

Attributes, including stamina, will decay just like any other skill.

Benefits of that are that active players are encouraged to stay active, while inactive people will have to make a choice about how inactive they can afford to be.

Why should players with less time on their hands suffer consequences for having a real life? And what would make them keep playing? Good idea if you want a game for yourself and the other allday players, but who is going to deposit for the profits? MA?

I reckon BlackHawk was just feeling the community has been a bit at odds with each other recently, so came up with this way to bring us all together on an issue. :D

Status
Back