Kobold Seriously Undervalued

JohnCapital

Slayer
Society
Freelancer
John Teacher Capital
Some of you said:
Kobold? That cold armor? Undervalued? Dude, ever since Feffs got adjusted I don't hunt them any more so Kobold is useless.

I've heard things like this again and again. Feffs suck, and now so does kobold.

And yet, I find myself using this armor almost more than any other in my collection. I am convinced most folks simply don't realize the great overall protection it offers.

Stats
  • Impact: 13
  • Cut: 3
  • Cold: 12
  • Burn: 8

Of the 4 main impact/cut armors:
  • Pixie
  • Gnome
  • Kobold
  • Rascal

Kobold ranks 3rd in most protection. Only 8 points separate the entire collection, so they're all very close. If you can hunt it in gnome or rascal, you can hunt it in kobold.

Someone else said:
But so what? If you have gnome, why switch to kobold?

Quite simply long hunts. Kobold has a very high TT value. More than twice that of Rascal.

If you ever go hunting in pixie, for example, you notice your protection wearing thin very quickly.

This high TT value is what makes Gremlin so great for CP and other hunting. They last for long, long hunts before needing to be repaired.

Others of you said:
OK, so kobold has high TT. That's not enough.

Look at kobold's other protection: Burn.

Bot hunting tip: Toss 6As on kobold and you have drone invincibility at cheap, cheap, cheap cost.

maybe you said:
Oh really?

I'm not talking warrior/troopers. I'm talking Jason drones.

Fact: Some players camp the drones in gremlin/rascal+6A and win out over vigi wearers because of their lower decay.

4 less burn on kobold = even less decay, and I still take only 1-3 dmg. ;)

For drones, molisks, argos, calamusoid, ambu, umbras, berries, equus, estophyls, etc. etc. I only wear kobold + the appropriate plates. My pixie, gnome and rascal all sit in my closet now untouched as simply parts of my collection.

The best part is you can loot a full set for yourself easy.

Rascal: Crafted. Must pay markup on every part
Gnome: Some parts only come from beacon missions
Pixie: Honestly too small
Kobold: hunt combibo, berries, snarksnot & cornundacauda and you can loot your entire set.

investors said:
If anyone can loot a full set that easy, they won't pay high markup for mine.

You are completely right. Kobold is not a collectors armor that will rise in ped value. Its ease of acquiring and high ingame qty will keep prices low almost forever.

Kobold is simply one of the most undervalued armors in a true hunters collection. Get yours. Use it. You'll be glad you did.

Disclaimer: Yes I own kobold. I also have no intention of selling it until the day I leave Entropia.

That's an interesting read.

Great set of armour, I completely agree. People often undervalue the so called noob armours.

The question to ask yourself is if it provides enough protection for the mob who is the noob? the guy wearing it and hunting cheaply? or is it the guy who has greater protection (and often higher MU) and is paying extra for the priviledge of looking 'cooler'?

Easy choice for me :) +rep to OP for bringing the point up.

Thanks for that! :)

Interesting post :) I think, however, that before long all armour will be L so Kobold (unlimited) could be a reasonable investment as well as being useful armour.

ok you convinced me,

actually i always thought it was good armour though not really used it to its full capabilities that you've pointed out.

Cold, burn, impact odd combination but for the right mob with right plates it can cetainly be an asset. So I agree it's undervalued i have all parts except feet (i think).

you forgot about the cheap cold protection!

great to hunt feffs :wtg:

I must agree on the value of kobald... for the longest time, I had simply kobald and shogun. Kobald with 5a plates was a great combo for me when i hunted at Twins. When I got my gremlin, my kobald remained a steadfast part of my small armor collection. I still use it often, and, as you stated, the repair costs remain quite low, compared to that of vigi or gremlin.

+Rep for great post!

Cold, burn, impact odd combination but for the right mob with right plates it can cetainly be an asset.

The right mob? :laugh:

With 2As, 5A and 6As, here's an incomplete list of what you can hunt in kobold: (And yes I hunt almost all these using kobold)

• Aetherex
  • Ambulimax
  • Argonaut
  • Attacker
  • Berycled
  • Calamusoid
  • Caudatergus
  • Combibo
  • Cornundacauda
  • Cornundos
  • Daikiba
  • Drone
  • Equus
  • Estophyl
  • Exarosaur
  • Faucervix
  • Feffoid (yes some folks still hunt these)
  • Foul
  • Longu
  • Maffoid
  • Mermoth
  • Miner Bot
  • Molisk
  • Morsusilex
  • Mourner
  • Mulmun
  • Snarg
  • Snarksnot
  • Thorifoid
  • Thorio
  • Tripudion

Add 5B or 6bs and the list gets even bigger. :D

Kobold is nice, thats why I have a set :silly2:

Yep, Kobold is good stuff :)

kobold is one of those sets i get hunt with love run low on ped sell. just to get another set a month later, but i love it because you can do this for TT value

i agree :p

i discovered it by a mistake

soc mate wanted to borrow the kobold so i repaired it, gave to her
but she didn't come to use it, so i thought i use the tt up on something and store it again

i was quite surprised of it being actually good for the stuff i hunt :laugh:

i still gonna do some more tests on how it works, but so far i am surprised that it works so well :)

i must be silly or somethink , cuz me being a miner im not so big on armor , but i must agree I LOVE MY KOBOLD {for real now i have the feet}

p.s. wot is it with the feet? where thay all gone?{someone hording them i think}

p.p.s. +rep for reminding me :)

I have`nt used my kobold set in quite a while. I hunted feff most all of 2007 and during that time assembled a set of ghost. So now when I decide on feff I usually already have the ghost on. And I pretty much use the ghost for most hunting in general despite the decay difference. For the bots it`s my paladin and 6a. Another understated armor if it were`nt for the rarity of the thigh guards. But yes I always found kobold to be a great armor for a reasonable price. When I decided to get a set I was able to go into auction and get every piece needed super cheap even with doing a few buyouts.

Pixie/5A or nekkid 4tw, paramedic skills before armour decay :wise:

Good post I think I'll be taking the old Kobold out and dusting it off. I never really gave it a good run before. Thanks for pointing out the good value of it.

it's awesome for mining too. what do i mean?

simple: when mining a large area, you usualy cross into a few differant critters habitats. plus the possibility of a spaceship.

kobold has a nice spread of defense over the most common damage types. (cut/impact for your biting slashing mobs, burn for those bots guarding ships, cold cause feff's do still exist people, and they like to guard some of my fave mining spots in all honesty)

Kobold used to look cool before the Graphic update VU--Especially on females. The shoulder plates looked pretty sexy.

After the graphic update, I simply TT'ed my kobold because now it looks like a dirty settler. I tried selling and auctioning--Couldn't even get TT+10.

Pixie/5A or nekkid 4tw, paramedic skills before armour decay :wise:
depends how you look at it

say you have a T1 fap, and you heal up to 7.7-10.3 HP for 0.9 pec

say at best around 10 for 0.9 pec

shogun decay for 10 protection is 0.657

so fapping is 36% more expensive, with one of the more eco faps ingame (i leave mod etc out here)

for bigger faps however, and when you wear less armor you will need bigger faps, the equation starts to go towards twice the cost for fap than armor protection.
depending on eco of fap, maybe even more

now the question is, do you rather want paramedic skill, so you can use better faps (i kinda stopped watched at faps above lvl 30, i am happy if i can get to that at all :p)

or instead you change your point of view on armor
if armor is just half the decay per hit, you could of course take 2 mobs on you to pay roughly the same decay as with fap

if you think that further, you double your evade gain with 2 times the mobs than usual

and if you think that over a longer period of time, you will manage with that kind of tactic less and less hits, such decreasing your armor and fap cost more and more (theoretically, if it is still twice the cost, you could as well get another mob now)

but fap skills you see over a longer period of time too, there are some faps that are simply not available enough, so from lvl 20-lvl30 is kinda SK50 L area, but those are hard and not cheap to get

the point of it
people always say that armor doesn't give skills, which is true (especially after i did my little test i think so too :p)
and that faps do, which is obvious

but if you bring the cost per protection into play, you might take 2 or more mobs on you, increasing your evade gains, which is (imo) a way more interesting thing to have than paramedic skills

paramedic skills won't help you cutting down armor and fap cost (except you sell them)
evade should

In my early days i sold my ghost in the favor for a kobol. I stod well with my friend who used ghost.

It's a decent armor; however, unless I need the cold protection, I find myself using Shogun more often.

I love my kobold, shogun, and gnome.

Stats
  • Impact: 13
  • Cut: 3
  • Cold: 12
  • Burn: 8

Of the 4 main impact/cut armors:
  • Pixie
  • Gnome
  • Kobold
  • Rascal

Kobold ranks 3rd in most protection. Only 8 points separate the entire collection, so they're all very close. If you can hunt it in gnome or rascal, you can hunt it in kobold.

Hate to pull you up on this JC, but for Impact + Cut it's 2nd only to Rascal with 1 pt more than Gnome ;)

Hate to pull you up on this JC, but for Impact + Cut it's 2nd only to Rascal with 1 pt more than Gnome ;)

Sorry, Redfrog. I was saying it was the 3rd best, not 3rd worst. Yes it ranks just behind rascal. I see my wording was easy to misunderstand. My apologies.

Main disadvantage with kobold, which it shares with shogun, is a relatively high TT for an armor of that class.

For someone who don't get bothered by the regen of feffs, it's a good feff armor (unless you have ghost). I got kobold as an armor for (small) thorifoids, the 12 dmg might not seem much, but when I started huntign them at ~110 HP, it was a difference between 50+50 dmg hit and 62+62 dmg hit.

I sold my (first) set when I got ghost, I later got a new set though (which I now use with 5d plates).

What probably makes it a hard decision to buy is its relatively high TT value for an armor with (generally) lesser protection than Rascal, and that its protection against feffs might mean lesser now since feffs got "adjusted".

It has some advantages though; it has very low markup, and it's possible to get a full set with matching footguards. Low protection can be good if you don't hunt too big - if your're a miner, and you from time to time get stalked by mobs like small exos and cornacaudas it can be an ok armor so that you don't have abort the finder to start fapping at the same time as you're not "overprotected".

Main disadvantage with kobold, which it shares with shogun, is a relatively high TT for an armor of that class.

High TT can be an advantage too, since it doesn't lose protection as fast. But yeah, its TT could put off some people I guess.

:rolleyes:if u realy think u do not see much kolbald or knight

GO RASCAL ARMOR WITH PL8 that is a good armor for impact but do not get (L) GET THE normal stuff

Back