FYI: Veneer FAQ

JohnCapital

Slayer
Society
Freelancer
John Teacher Capital
Q: What is veneer?
A: Veneer are the refined versions of the boards (bigwig, stinktree, midastree & firn)

Q: Refined? Ok, so should I refine all my boards?
A: ABSOFREAKINLUTELY NOT!!!

Q: Why not?
A: While you can craft with veneer, most blueprints involving wood requires boards. Since you can't "unrefine", it's best to leave them as boards until you are sure which is needed.

Q: OK, when I do refine them, which refiner will I need?
A: You'll need the energy refiner. The same one used for oil, force nexus, etc.

Q: Which boards can be refined?
A: All boards can be refined. Long, short, reg. boards all refine to the same veneer.

All these
stink-1.jpg
stink-2.jpg
stink-3.jpg

|
|
v
Can be refined into this
stink-ven.jpg

Q: What's the refine ratio? How many will I get?
A: All boards refine to an equal number of their TT value. For example, a Long Midastree Board (0.38 each) will make 38 midastree veneer (0.01 each) but a Short Midastree Board (0.04 each) makes only 4 midastree veneer (again 0.01 each)

Q: So I should refine the most expensive boards?
A: When refining, I'd worry more about the markup. It's much better to refine a Stinktree Board (which makes 31 veneer) then a Short Stinktree Board, simply because the short board can sell for over 300%, while the veneer could never get that kind of markup.

Q: Where are they located in the auction?
A: You'll find veneer under Components -> Wood Components. However be aware you can't place any buy ouy orders for veneer at this time. (Thanks to Serica for reminding me about these questions.)

Q: So what can I craft with the Veneer?
A: At the moment, only textures

Veneer
stink-ven.jpg

+
Wood Extractor
wood-extract.jpg

=
Texture
stink-tex.jpg

Q: That's all they make?
A: While some folks have use as a flooring decor in their apartments, at this time, no, veneer isn't used in crafting anything else.

Q: Do I at least get lower weight?
A: Yes, refining does lower the weight. Veneer weighs 0.001 kg, so, for example, a Long Bigwig Board, weighing 1.25 kg each can be reduced to 166 veneer, weighing only 0.166 kg. The exact weight savings is based on board weight vs. board TT, but refining does always lower weight.

Q: But don't I lose my markup?
A: True. Veneer has almost zero markup

Q: So why should I bother refining my boards at all?
A: You're welcome.

Last edited:
Nice Veneer tutorial...

Not much to say on Veneers, but I think you covered it all :thumbup:

Now, about your thin veneer of respectability...

;)

"You must spread some Reputation around blah, blah, blah..."

You answered all my questions, and some others I didn't even know I had. A very helpful thread.

Thanks.

:beerchug:

Miles

Nice Veneerial introduction. :D

I want to reiterate... check the markup on boards before refining. The ones with higher markup are used often.Those of us who use some of them unrefined would appreciate them being left whole.

John - a little more info perhaps ...

1. Veneers are found in auction under Components | Wood Components.
(Not under Materials | Timbers as perhaps might be expected)

2. Orders CANNOT be placed on Auction for Veneers.

I suspect that these two points might explain why the markup is so low on the Veneers compared to the Boards - no one can find them, and even when they can, cant place an order...

Thanks John,
I had no idea about veneers. It's a surprise to learn something new.
+rep

good post there, always fun to learn something new, + rep :wtg:

S V :cool:

All you ever wanted to know, and didn't want to know about veneers. :laugh:

Finally a usefull post. Been a while since I have seen something like this. There have been a lot of interesting posts but not many that provide in game help.

Always happy to bring yet another batch of completely useless info to your Calypso lives. :laugh:

And to answer a few reps, nope. Wasn't drunk. Wasn't bored. :D This was just an area I had to deal w/ recently and realized there was no real decent source of info for this yet. So here y'are. :silly:

Back