PLEASE HELP! Calypso Revival Border Research...

I was wrong:

Tonight I will focus on water, my little avatar is so tired of the mountains that he needs fresh water. :laugh: But I think I will meet the invisible wall with yellow message "This area is currently not available".

The message is in red:

[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

I will check the 2 others sea squares, just in case...

North of Corinth:

Last edited:
On experimenting with this further, it seems that the revive border is NOT linear. It appears to be calculated by the server using the X,Y,and Z coordinates, and not just the X and Y. That being the case, the revive would be linear on a 2d terrain, but when you include the mountains, it will change the outpost if the two nearest outposts are of different elevations. Therefore, it is impossible to draw a straight line to give the exact revival border. The geometry/algebraic formulas will give a close approximation of the border/corners, but can never give an exact reading without knowing the elevation of every point in the map.

It now comes down to exactly how close do you want this map to be? Is +-10 or 20 meters acceptable?

The alternative is to have to plot an awful lot of points in the mountain regions and estimate the curve freehand.

I'm willing to plot points all the way across, but it will take a LONG time.

Fish this is a really interesting discovery. Luckily, we built the system to store the Z coordinates and have been writing those into the system and database, even though they aren't currently used on the map.

If necessary, we can add that third dimension into the calculations and see what comes up. Adding a third dimension to the map does make it rather interesting, however, as well as three times as complicated lol.

For my own purposes, I'd say if it's 10-20 meters accurate that's really acceptable assuming we're forcing a 3D map to 2D visualization. I'm with Exec on this, even on the old revive maps, I never relied on just being at the border area, and would make sure I ran well into the next zone before hitting T if it mattered.

And no, I really don't want to ask anyone to painstakingly run along those lines and T all the way. Better to spend our time and ME figuring out those border corner coords to the best of our abilities and leave a little bit of uncertainty along the borders until we make the map 3D! :)

in the area that i am, it seems to be closer than that. i think the last corner i did was off of the projected amount by 8 meters

edit: and looking at it further, that 8 meters could have been accounted for within one meter's difference of X value, considering the slope of the line involved. it seems that the error may be negligable

Last edited:
Exec thanks for checking on those water quadrants. I thought for sure we could get up to those areas, my apologies for the wild goose chase!

Weren't we able to access those areas in VU9.4? I thought I remembered a few landmarks that were way out in the middle. Oh well. :)

in the area that i am, it seems to be closer than that. i think the last corner i did was off of the projected amount by 8 meters

Very intersting. :)

Now let's imagine a vertical revival border at (100, Y).
There was a particular thing Pre VU 10, which could be easisly detected because there was tiny lag on vertical (server?) borders:
- If you were coming from West, so X=70, 75, 85, etc, you would not TP to the East revival until you had cross the 110m.
- Doing the reverse path, even at 100 or 95, you would revice on East Revival. You needed to cross the 90m.

My point is that there was an overlapping zone:
| <-10m | Border | 10m-> |

For that reason, it was safer to run a bit further than the border to be sure.

If you say you have found an "anomaly" on 8m, maybe is it same implementation? The question is: was you coming from same revival ?

(Don't know if I am clear as I am tired and my english vocabulary is 100 words :silly2:)

Last edited:
Hey, stay out of corinth! it's mine, i tell ya!

Oh I'm really sorry, Sir, I just wanted to check temperature of sea by these high latitude. It is too cold for people coming from Troy.

Of course I should have guessed that this area was reserved for fishing. :p

BTW, I let you chedk the NE water square. :D

Maping up borders is fun but to meet ppl way of the coast is even better :yay:

p.s. i leave Corinth to you, going back to Livas :D

Last edited:
so this is how its done...pretty neat...
i will def add my deaths

incidentally, if you are using this spreadsheet and want to calculate X for a given Y, subtract line 7 from Y and divide the answer by line 6

For any 3 revive points, the point that is equidistant from those 3 points is called the circumcenter, and will form the coordinate for your revive-line intersections (with Fishface's caveat for altitude).

I couldn't find an online calculator for the circumcenter, so I wrote one up in excel. Now I just have to figure out where to upload it--or if you want it I could e-mail it directly to you (pm me with address.)

nuh-uh. it's called the middle. :p

:laugh: rofl

You'd think so, but there are (at least) four "middles" to a triangle: incenter, circumcenter, centroid, and orthocenter. What I found today that was interesting, is that three of these "middles" (leaving out the incenter) are themselves collinear, and the line they make is called the Euler line, after its discoverer.

Revival Map - Fort Troy square

The central area was a nightmare.

:)

:laugh: rofl

You'd think so, but there are (at least) four "middles" to a triangle: incenter, circumcenter, centroid, and orthocenter. What I found today that was interesting, is that three of these "middles" (leaving out the incenter) are themselves collinear, and the line they make is called the Euler line, after its discoverer.

blah, blah blah. it's the middle, i tells ya

ok, i've verified all of the vertexes that fall on server borders around the corinth/phoenix server. time to do some middles.

Wow, I must say you peopel are doing some awesome work! :yay:

Question: do you guys need endpoints for each line, or are two points on the line sufficient?

I'd be very interested in the outcomes of this project for the project in my sig ;) as the PEAss one I have is invalid now

Revival map of oshiri

lots of work and lots of fun:yay:, I hate scipulors :laugh:

ok, i'm done for the evening. i can only kill so many bots in one day.

When I try to access the maps, all I get is a white page. I can enter the cordinates just find and it saves and all. But I get a white page on both the maps. Is it just down for now?

Rightclick and select play.

When I try to access the maps, all I get is a white page. I can enter the cordinates just find and it saves and all. But I get a white page on both the maps. Is it just down for now?

Yes Daffas, sorry about that. As Coachman said, if you get the big blank white page, right click on the white space and you should see a Play option.

This happens almost every time you load it in Firefox and on rare occasions in Internet Explorer 8.0.

Revival map of oshiri

lots of work and lots of fun:yay:, I hate scipulors :laugh:

Impressive work, I can imagine how much MF you burnt... ;)
Will you pick your next one on Amethera?

I stay on Eudoria where I was born, I will take the square on the left of Troy, with Athena Spaceport. Maybe not tonight because I need to sleep, so Thursday. :cool:

Morning all

Work is going great with all the help:yay:

Going back to finish Livas:)

For any 3 revive points, the point that is equidistant from those 3 points is called the circumcenter, and will form the coordinate for your revive-line intersections (with Fishface's caveat for altitude).

I couldn't find an online calculator for the circumcenter, so I wrote one up in excel. Now I just have to figure out where to upload it--or if you want it I could e-mail it directly to you (pm me with address.)

Hmm :scratch2:

do you mean THIS ! :

triangulation1.jpg

the circles here have the same radius, and i created lines that intersect the intersection points of the circle.
this show how to solve the borders of three points. the borders are basically a line where points are equidistant from two points. the red dot is the intersection of these lines

and the following is the construction

triangulation2.jpg

triangulation3.jpg

and here the border's between points are reconstructed

Great map, have gone out to die in some of the lesser frequented tps and outposts, good fun and for a good cause :D

Great map, have gone out to die in some of the lesser frequented tps and outposts, good fun and for a good cause :D

Thanks for helping. :)

I see on the CRT map that many people are helping as well.
Also I notice that some of you are checking the corners of polygons, which is very efficient method.

Please to these people to post here on which "square" they work, to avoid several of us to work on same square.

Soon we'll have this map!
:)

Back