PINKY

Elite
Society
The Disturbed Ones
Pinky
newsbanner.jpg

The Entropia name in danger!

THIS ARTICLE WAS AN APRIL FOOLS JOKE

A date was set yesterday in the Swedish high courts for a hearing that may result in MindArk losing the right to the Entropia name.
Swedish band ‘Pain of Salvation’ commenced legal proceedings for trademark infringement against the owner of Entropia Universe platform ‘MindArk’, citing a breach in intellectual property rights. The progressive metal band ‘Pain of Salvation’ launched their first studio album ‘Entropia’ back in 1997, firstly in Japan, then later in Romania, Europe, South America and finally in the USA in 2000.

eu_logo_2008_black.jpg

The grounds for the case come from the way in which the word Entropia was formed. The band claim they formed a portmanteau (amalgamation) of the words ‘Entropy’ (the measure of disorder present in a system), and ‘Utopia’ (an idealistic society) for the albums name. This amalgamation of the two words effectively invented a new word, albeit not one that is officially recognized in the English language and there’s the rub – Pain of Salvation argue the case that they created the word prior to MindArk and as there is no such word in the English dictionary they can claim it for Trademark under international intellectual property law.
[wrap=left]https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/gallery/files/6/7/2/5/mindark_logo_grey.jpg[/wrap]Although no one at MindArk was available to comment yesterday, the court papers (available to download from the Swedish Law Courts) submitted by MindArk in response to the suit claim that as the two uses of the word are for entirely different lines of business, it cannot be said that any attempt was made on MindArks part to solicit additional customers by use of the Entropia name. However, the Pain of Salvation spokesman, Olaf Polri, highlighted the fact that firstly both the Band and MindArk are based in Sweden, giving geographical proximity to the two entities, combined with the fact that The Entropia album was primarily a hit via purchases on the internet, meaning it was a “form of entertainment primarily distributed via the internet”, which gives credence to the fact it is possible that MindArk gained an additional customer base with the use of the name.
[wrap=right]https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/gallery/files/6/7/2/5/painofsalvation-entropia.jpg[/wrap]Worryingly, the Pain of Salvation spokesman, Olaf Polri, offered a demonstration of the problem and asked me to Google the words “Entropia” and “Sweden” and hit the “I Feel Lucky” button. The result was being taken directly to MindArks webpage. So can MindArk really claim they made no financial gain on the back of the Entropia name? Only time will find out. Sadly this will take several months to play out in the courts, although this does give plenty of time for a new name to be found, will MindArk be keen on a name change so soon after marketing the name so heavily right after VU10.0...?

Last edited:
Olaf Polri,Nice one :D

Curse you Pain of Salvation! :cussing:

(Actually they are pretty good, seen them live a couple of times :))

Excellent reporting Pinky! :D

Cheers :beerchug:

Sorry Pinky but since your barbie planet story. I am not believing one of your stories who are posted on april 1st ;)

That's pretty damn stupid! So ok, the word doesn't exist exactly as so in English but who says that the MA named the game after an English word. The word exists as such in Greek (comes from Greek - remember the father in my big fat Greek wedding? :p) and is written exactly this way in Spanish and Italian.

I think we should sue the band for using a pre-existing word to name their album :D

EDIT: Dang, it's too early in the morning and I bought it!! Gotta go get some coffee.. well done :D

i must agree. every since the barbie planet story you just become prepared for anything now.

with that said i always enjoy the creativity of these posts. so for that +rep

Sounds legit, but after Barbie's Planet... dunno. hehe

Check the date guys... 1st of April!
Posted via Mobile Device

lol, got me for about half a second, then I remembered the date, ;)

What's the name of the band again?

Think those bozos try to get some attention using Mindark instead of vice versa.

Totally funny they come up with it after EU being around for several years now.

They actually should work on their google ad words and be happy about people hitting maybe them when people look up for the MMO :D

Or remember the date....

It is one of them stories again that has you umming and arring if it is a hoax or not.

along with the fact that you posted it 2 days before this fateful day does in a way pull more ppl in.

But as other have said the Barbie planet stunt makes everyone think a bit more now Pinky

but + Rep for something amusing to read on this fateful morning.

Along with the fact that we have a rename to Planet Calypso now - part of the Entripia Universe for when the other planets arrive also went against the story a bit as credable

im gonna guess this is a date related post and say :rolleyes:

The real problem with this news came today, from talking with the spokesman, they told me that Mindark will be forced to immediatly cease and desist all activities related to any Entropia name, including Entropia Universe, and hand over all proceeds gotten in relationship to everything Entropia.

It means that all the items, PED, deposits and so on that Mindark got are not ours anymore, but instead are property now of the band. They said it might cause us some pain, but it will be salvation for the band.

Latest word is that the Universe will cease to exist at 01:04 MA time

It was only a few hours ago that I said to Moonie ... "wonder if MsPinky will be doing her annual April Fool's Day article" ... and VOILA ... the brilliance of the Pinky explodes on the Front Page. Even though people are onto you MsPinky, your writing style and creativity are brilliant, and much missed on the Front Page for sure. My EU anniversary is always the day after your April Fool's article, and this year, it's gonna be 5 years ... seems like yesterday I first set foot on Calypso.

Cheers :beerchug: ... for yet another Pinky original that is not only creative, but most entertaining and fun to read. :D

Sorry Pinky but since your barbie planet story. I am not believing one of your stories who are posted on april 1st ;)

Whats this:scratch2: No Barbie Planet:mad:Ive been waiting for so long:(
Was going to buy a Barbie camper and take the gymp cruising:cool:

After Barbie Planet I was waiting for something like this :yay:
Great news, made my day :D

Fell for it, until I read the 'court papers'. :)

The progressive metal band ‘Pain of Salvation’ launched their first studio album ‘Entropia’ back in 1997, firstly in Japan, then later in Romania, Europe, South America and finally in the USA in 2000.

:laugh: Romania is in Europe.

Guess these guys need to be taught a geography lesson.:dunce::dunce::dunce:

arghh so much time wasted reading the article which i though was real until i checked the calendar..lol good one

bad loot is coming....

edit: dang.... fool!

ROmania is in E Europe. I call that an F (for Fail) at geography.

Must go true some "pain" before we se any "salvation" to this...:D

/Arwen

OMFG this is the stupidest BS i have every seen, no one person should be able to have all the rights to a WORD.

Firstly ive never heard of this band, so who cares that this game is called Entropia

Second, i thought the game was called Planet calypso

Third, what the F*** has this world come to when some stupid A** band sues over something ass simple and stupid as a freakin word!

I hope this band looses everything they own for trying this BS.

I could go on for ever, but its not even worth it. I hope to see this band 6 feet under for this BS!

Cant wait for the time to come when we aren't even aloud to speak with out getting sued! can you?

EDIT even if this is just a april fools joke, shit like this actually does happen in real life and its complete BS

Back