Calypso Gateway – an entry to a world of opportunity and adventure

Since they're giving out free weapons for newbies to test out the game in this learning centre, I wouldn't be totally surprised if the teleporter is designed to strip avatars of their items, so you still start with nothing in inventory on Calypso. So as a newbies you get guns, mining tools, loot etc in the trading centre to see how the game works, until you enter the main game.

So if you go up there with full inventory and find the return to Calypso teleporter strips you of all items, hey - they warned you not to go with them! :laugh:

Just hope that won't be coded by the same lamer that put the teleporter inside a rock. I just hate seeing my pedcard being stripped after tping back...

I'm guessing this new area will do nothing to further any remaining story or storyline.

One would hope the have included information as to the backstory of Calypso - the robot wars - colonial history - etc.

But I'm not optimistic.

I'm guessing this new area will do nothing to further any remaining story or storyline.

One would hope the have included information as to the backstory of Calypso - the robot wars - colonial history - etc.

Sometimes I wonder if MA (I guess it was MA back at the time) still follows the storyline; I'm thinking when they implemented robots together with mutants at Emerald Lakes in VU 9 ;)

I guess though FPC made it a bit better by letting the fouls attacks be a bit like I guess it was intended (sort'a mindforce - as you know fouls can't eat solid food).

hmmmmm somenthing is happening in the MA offices....... did you fire Marco or???
grz nice move

It's an interesting idea. I can't help thinking that the "baptism by fire" of starting in EU (which will now be gone) was a kind of rite of passage that weeds out people who won't enjoy/won't be able to deal with the complicated game mechanics here.

Though player retention is a GREAT thing! Don't get me wrong on that. :yay:

I stand firm in my belief that EU is a breeding ground for the most cunning MMO players in the world. I just hope that this update will both keep that true, and help player retention.

We'll see. :)

But I'm not optimistic.

Then you will be suprised. ,-)

i havn't even been able to find the new arivals center yet lol

so will this be a whole new island? or a current island on the map... or maybe an island not even on the map lol. - if it was on the map would get us trying to swim there, or new players trying to escape to the main land before doing the quests maybe :D.

It is a new, completely seperate island with no connection to mainland Calypso.

Since they're giving out free weapons for newbies to test out the game in this learning centre, I wouldn't be totally surprised if the teleporter is designed to strip avatars of their items, so you still start with nothing in inventory on Calypso. So as a newbies you get guns, mining tools, loot etc in the trading centre to see how the game works, until you enter the main game.

So if you go up there with full inventory and find the return to Calypso teleporter strips you of all items, hey - they warned you not to go with them! :laugh:

Actually, items gathered on Gateway will be kept when TP'ing to mainland Calypso. However, all Gateway items are given in multi-part missions and designed specifically for a safe and streamlined experience. The items are also balanced around what we call a "micro-RCE" where TT-values as such are much lower compared to the ordinary range of Calypso items. Of course the stats like damage is also reflected by this (a newcomer weapon deals much lower damage than an Opalo for instance).

My overall vision was to make the Gateway experience as "real" to the rest of Calypso. No fake-PEDs, no phantom-items, etc. With the previous Entropia platform changes with the ammo allowed us to use real Calypso economy balancing, but on a lesser level. It will be very interesting to see how it pans out - one worry is the exploit factor, as items given out that have TT-values are always susceptible to exploiters. I think the current way items are handled on Gateway will be both rewarding and "exploit-resistant".

Wish this sort of initiative was in game back when i had my 200 noob member soc. Would have saved me a ton of repetition and teaching etc. Nice one FPC, just dont "accidentally" create the impression in there that everything is gonna be "overly" rosy once they come out of there....

Its a fine line, but nice initiative ;)

Agreed!

I think if the noobies are given at least somewhat realistic expectations of what life on Calypso is like they won't be as likely to leave right away once they really experience it.

This is awesome news, and I'm thrilled that it is happening. :yay:

Having read the text and seen nothing mentioned about it, one thing I wonder is:
Where on the mainland do they get transported to after they have finished at the gateway? Still Port Atlantis?

In this release - Port Atlantis. In an upcoming release this will be altered (still gonna be the PA area, but the whole area is getting an overhaul during the fall, to take into consideration that Gateway colonists end up there). This to further reduce thresholds and confusion levels. Planet Calypso is confusing enough for newcomers as it is, with the RCE and non-standard approach to how things work mechanically.

:umn: and the mentor part for veteran participants is over, what a waste of time getting those skills!
Bye Bye Mentor Ed items. :cry:

A mentor system I believe is a very important part of the newcomer experience, especially after leaving Gateway. I am nagging MA constantly to have the mentor system back (with needed improvements, of course).

Of course the stats like damage is also reflected by this (a newcomer weapon deals much lower damage than an Opalo for instance).

*Runs and buys 200 Opalo's from TT. :laugh:

i began reading and saw that all already created avs would be bared from the place. I thought great, i'll have to make a second junk av to get to see the new place. and i think to myself, they should at least make it open to everyone to test its server load, make sure nothings broken and such.

then i read on and wham that is actually what they are doing. ma you read my mind before i even knew what was going on in the thread.

now one big thing i'm wondering.

is anything in this place going to raise skills? because when the mentoring system is back in, you may have to modify it since if i remember right once an av obtains a certain number of skill points in any skill (wasn't it like 10 or 20 they can't go under a mentor) if you gain skills on the island will you make changes to the future mentoring system?

It is a new, completely seperate island with no connection to mainland Calypso.

will the island apear on the map when the map is fully drawn out atleast so we know rufly were on the planet it is? it may not seem like a big deal but unless you make it so we can swim from continent to continent i see no harm in it.

I also have to say that this will be a very large island, not insanely continent big but alot larger then the tiny island in treasure island lake right? lol.

Actually, items gathered on Gateway will be kept when TP'ing to mainland Calypso. However, all Gateway items are given in multi-part missions and designed specifically for a safe and streamlined experience. The items are also balanced around what we call a "micro-RCE" where TT-values as such are much lower compared to the ordinary range of Calypso items. Of course the stats like damage is also reflected by this (a newcomer weapon deals much lower damage than an Opalo for instance).

My overall vision was to make the Gateway experience as "real" to the rest of Calypso. No fake-PEDs, no phantom-items, etc. With the previous Entropia platform changes with the ammo allowed us to use real Calypso economy balancing, but on a lesser level. It will be very interesting to see how it pans out - one worry is the exploit factor, as items given out that have TT-values are always susceptible to exploiters. I think the current way items are handled on Gateway will be both rewarding and "exploit-resistant".

so we are talking like newcomer pistol tt of 5 pec meaning your going to make money faster sweating then making new avs and doing the newcomer missions and selling your newcomer gear.

thou if there is a newcomer armor set, i can't see it being able to be any worse for protection the the tt armor is, lol. unless you literaly give armor with 0 protection stats......

Last edited:
A mentor system I believe is a very important part of the newcomer experience, especially after leaving Gateway. I am nagging MA constantly to have the mentor system back (with needed improvements, of course).

I agree.

I believe the gateway will be great for new players to learn the basics of moving around, operating all types of tools/weapons equipping and unequipping items, hot keying icons on screen and to the keyboard, etc....

but....

A mentor system is still needed for the first few months a new player is actually playing the game to really help them understand the multitude of intricacies that are hidden beneath the surface. A mentor or mentor related society is needed to learn from the actual in game experience of others. How do the ideas of using different armor/plate combos work in comparison to reality against specific mobs? How about gun/amp combos and markups? The rce aspect adds so many tiny details that need attention paid to. Why should I stick with a smaller mob or gun when I have the skills for the next level? Why doesn't the next sib gun I have kill that mob any faster than the last one? Why shouldn't I buy this lvl 1 blueprint with .01tt on it for 10ped when the market history shows its worth 50?

There is so much good that a true "mentor" could give that a "guide" couldn't to the development of a new player. Both are important, and I hope that the system will be re-implemented and I can receive some sort of credit for the work I have personally put into new players or that the "carroot" of a future mentor system is removed from in front of my face.

I have put a lot of time and effort into helping new players develop, and my society is largely made up of my "unofficial disciples." These are great guys and gals, and I am glad they are still with me. Because of this I am happy with the time I have spent helping them, they are great friends now.

I think players with the true mentor mentality would mentor rather there was a "system" in place or not. It would be great if they could receive recognition for that, but it really isn't why they are doing it. This is why I would like to have the system in place or no system at all, either way would be fine, but the "limbo" of not knowing leaves for a weird feeling of "what if?"

narfi

I think this is a great idea to help ease new players into the game and hopefully keep them playing. One question I have is will the new arrival area still show global's, hof's and ath's as the happen in eu?

I think this is a great idea to help ease new players into the game and hopefully keep them playing. One question I have is will the new arrival area still show global's, hof's and ath's as the happen in eu?

considering you still see them on rocktropia (unless they changed that recently) i belive so.

So yes new arrivals to EU while at the calypso gateway will be able to see me or other current players global or hof on a mob?

Sounds awesome :)

I think is great what you are doing here. a big +rep to MA/FPC for this.

Any chance I can TP to the Gateway Island for free from Rocktropia during the test week? I would very much like to go there and help testing the systems and providing feedback.

I agree.

The rce aspect adds so many tiny details that need attention paid to. Why should I stick with a smaller mob or gun when I have the skills for the next level? Why doesn't the next sib gun I have kill that mob any faster than the last one? Why shouldn't I buy this lvl 1 blueprint with .01tt on it for 10ped when the market history shows its worth 50?
Agree with narfi and I was going to use that same example.

This is quite exciting actually ... and Marco's posts in this thread give more hope that more effective things are being done. I'm excited enough about this new endeavor that I've alerted 711 that I would like to do a front page article about it when we have the opportunity to explore this new Calypso Gateway. Despite my sometimes critical comments, I think this is a positive move, and can only hope that Marco can continue to ride MA's ass about the mentoring system and get that back on track. I've experienced many other games that have an isolated island for newbies for the pure learning experience, and to prepare them for the more expansive universe, so I know it works. I'm hoping this will be a smooth progression, and fair well to keep our Calypso citizens longer ... not to mention more experienced and savvy before entering the lion's den. :D

so when exactly is this going up anyways?

Can't wait to see:

Joe the Newb killed a creature (Snablesnot Hatchling) with a value of 16969 PED at Calypso Gateway! A record has been added to the Hall of Fame.

:D

:yay: Now I like you again :D Very cool indeed!

Great... but no so great....

It can be nice adventure this Gateway... but what I dont understand: Can we gain free skills in the Gateway???

:eek:

It can be nice adventure this Gateway... but what I dont understand: Can we gain free skills in the Gateway???

:eek:

if there are i'm hoping for some crafting skills the price of gaining crafting skills to hunting and mining is crazy. a skill boost there would make crafting a more interesting possibility to the newbies.

VERY good... its the best thing you guy have done in a very long time.

This is one of most awesome introduction within long timeframe. Altho it is pretty hard to give any advices because noone seen what it is all about and what is your general idea however I got two even right now.

First please make sure there is one hell of a trailer at startup.

Second please take into consideration making "starup missions" a bit different. I think it is really really important for some voice to talk to the startups players and guide them. Of course together with voice messages typing is also welcome as English is not native for many players (also typing can be easily translated - I can offer help into translating into polish).

Those 2 elements are very important IMO and crucial, building atmosphere and make game play much more user friendly.

First please make sure there is one hell of a trailer at startup.

I got a feeling that if there is a 15 minute cinematic trailer, the new player will think "booooring" and either skip it, or do <Alt><F4> (in best case <Alt><Tab>). The ones who see it will 5 minutes later wonder anyway "which button was it to turn right".

Back