PlanetCalypsoForum.com Discussion Thread

Status
EF will first be upgraded to the latest version of vBulletin (the base forum engine), and then moved over to PlanetCalypsoForum.com.

The vast majority (90%+) of familiar EF forum features will be available the moment PCF is launched (along with a host of exciting new features). Several features may require a week or so to be adapted to the new software version. I expect everything to be fully operational within 2 weeks after PCF is launched.

now that is awesome news :)

BTW, all in all it is a nice move. Nothing will change from a userbase point of view at least at the beginning (just the forum moves, not that FPC/MA will put extra time in reading/answering).

But at least something is done. Let's give 'em a chance ;)

I just hope that the new location/server will not be as SLOW and UNRESPONSIVE as the support site... :)

Freedom has been sold for how much?

huh? Freedom has been sold? Read the OP. The changes, such as they are, are toward greater freedom not less. We will now be allowed to mention other games, etc.

jay :)

now that is awesome news :)

It is not im afraid - if the upgrade takes us to vBulletin 4...

Even though it is no longer beta, it is running nowhere close to stable yet, let alone all the plugins...

Weird idea... I know, but it might be possible? Since EFD can grow in the bank here, and the new forum will have something similar, and it'll be "official" maybe they can work that in to the in game banking system somehow, so forum dollars can be like in game savings plans that the in game banks (pawn shops) don't do now... or maybe make it so you can use the forum dollars to buy real in game stuff instead of just icons on the forum... maybe make x amount of forum dollars = y amount of sweat, or something similar?... Maybe hook in the 1% interest in to it all somehow to make in game savings possible.

One other question -- will the in forum auctions still be around since they sort of compete with the in game auctions? Originally, I think the intention was not for them to do that, but lately so many people are selling individual items on forums, etc. that it is a competition to the in game auction system.

This sort of stuff would make the "official" forum worth visiting and being active in then the "unofficial" forum here at entropiaforum.com or entropiaplanets, etc. There's so much they could do to integrate the forum and in game actions/activities... maybe PMs to the forums show up as in game messages, etc.

Maybe "true" statistics can be shown in various theory threads since there could be rss feeds from the in game actions to the official forum directly, etc... no more guessing and manually writing down x amount of ammo used, x amount of hits successful, etc. to figure out things that get posted in theory threads. It'd be the real stats.

How about integration with in game auctions/shops... you can view the in game auction from forum sort of like an online ebay which would not require you to download entropia universe to whatever computer you are on (able to bid in last seconds, no matter if you are in a public computer lab, at work, even on an iphone or something etc.).. maybe even make the in game auction in to some social networking thing... like an app over at facebook or something.

Starting to see why Marco think's FPC's future is bright! :)

Last edited:
Would it be possible to get answers for those please?

Questions:
  • Will FPC read the Wishlist section?
  • Will FPC comment on the ideas?
  • Will FPC explain, why certain ideas won't work or won't be added for any reason?
  • Will FPC allow to change an initial non-working idea into a working idea by initiating an open discussion about it?

oh wow so cool now you need to let us craft a forum terminal for apartments and a forum connection hand held device that runs a mini Google chrome browser and only connects to the forum in game! that would be so cool XD

I am not becoming an employee of FPC or MindArk. I will simply be providing web hosting and technical administration of PlanetCalypsoForum as an outside contractor.

So you will get paid...well, calling you an "outsorced" worker still makes you an employee, doesn't it?

:confused: What personal data is associated with your EF account that you feel uncomfortable allowing FPC to have access too?

Private messages...

make.money.fast.

Stop stealing my thoughts!!!

Oh and btw...only because something is written in the Terms of use doesn't make it automatically legal...

Somehow I got the feeling it can't be legal to sell the possibility to read all my private messages...

And what about the moderators...will they also work for FPC now?
Will they get paid? Who is choosing them?

Oh, lot more questions, but I don't dare waiting longer since I am afraid the forum will be gone before i finished reading all posts here...

StarFinder: Its not going to be so that I am going to be able to answer to every thread on the forum. Even if we've purchased the database and will have an official forum, it will still be just me that have the work assignment to maintain it.

We are going to keep on developing the forum, but at the start there won't be a very large difference for the community from what today is. Like I mentioned, the largest change will be for FPC -having a official channel and interaction arena with the community

Of course one person can not even begin to answer even half of the questions here on the forum. This was fine when this wasent an official forum.

Its a little concerning that as you say, you just bought the database and it will only be you who will represent FPC on the forum. Why not just leave EF to the community then, and focus on the blogs as that was your "official channel of communicating to the playerbase?.. If there will be no increase in activity from FPC on the boards, what justify the transition from "unofficial" to "official" status on the forum?

So you will get paid...well, calling you an "outsorced" worker still makes you an employee, doesn't it?

He stated he will be an outside contractor. Contractors aren't employees.

Private messages...

Hanne is running the Forum as General Admin, we all know her and I doubt she would go through all your PMs, she even stated she wouldn't.

Oh and btw...only because something is written in the Terms of use doesn't make it automatically legal...

Somehow I got the feeling it can't be legal to sell the possibility to read all my private messages...

It's all apart of the ToU, the PMs are in the Database, the Database is being sold. You agreed to this happening by singing up and using your Entropia Forum account.

The current Moderators are going to be the Mods, and they are doing Volunteer work.

Of course one person can not even begin to answer even half of the questions here on the forum. This was fine when this wasent an official forum.

Its a little concerning that as you say, you just bought the database and it will only be you who will represent FPC on the forum. Why not just leave EF to the community then, and focus on the blogs as that was your "official channel of communicating to the playerbase?.. If there will be no increase in activity from FPC on the boards, what justify the transition from "unofficial" to "official" status on the forum?

I guess it may be a way to keep players on Calypso, get the biggest forum users and all new people will join FPC not rocktropia or others. I suspect Next island is probably a real concern for FPC, especially as they seem to be driven towards actually advertising their planet.

So competition is on and FPC are taking its first steps and quickly to get player retention and what better way than get the rights to easily the most active forum for the universe

Just my two pecs, and probably wrong lol

Rgds

Ace

It's kind of funny that many were complaining that MA/FPC should have an official forum, and now that they are doing it there are many others that are questioning it.

If you don't like the official forum, there are alternatives.

If you are afraid someone will read your private messages, don't send private messages that you wouldn't want someone else reading.

I really wouldn't worry about private messages. FPC employees have better things to do with their time ;)

I may delete my PMs, but that's because it's 100 percent full, and I need the space since I'm losing a lot of space due to Senior Membership being taken out.

Edit: That being said. I wonder if the old Senior members could get an icon to carry over. Purely for sentimental reasons.

Last edited:
I wouldn't work for free on a official forum... you better hire someone to do the forum moderation

Haannneeeeeeeeeeee!
Please contact Stumdoes and buy the old data from EP forums!!!
This would be so cool!
There is sooo much history lost because EP is not available! :(

endermigne, my reply to Starfinder covers somewhat of your question. I won't be able to comment on or give insight to every thread posted. Regarding "why certain ideas won't work", that'd all be on a case-to-case basis.

Starfinder, the forum is still supposed to be for the community to interact mainly with eachother, not as a hotline to the devs.
FPC and me in particular are given the freedom now to interact directly with the community on our own ground -which was not a freedom given with the blogs. We'll have a new platform to engage events -either forum exclusive or as an addition to our ingame events, communicate and get direct feedback that we didn't have before.
A huge plus about this is centralizing the communication to one page, which is something I know have been wanted from us.

I'm not saying that there won't be an increase in activity from FPC on forum, I am saying you should not expect as much as you do, as it is still mainly me alone who'll be running the communication.

endermigne, my reply to Starfinder covers somewhat of your question. I won't be able to comment on or give insight to every thread posted. Regarding "why certain ideas won't work", that'd all be on a case-to-case basis.

Starfinder, the forum is still supposed to be for the community to interact mainly with eachother, not as a hotline to the devs.
FPC and me in particular are given the freedom now to interact directly with the community on our own ground -which was not a freedom given with the blogs. We'll have a new platform to engage events -either forum exclusive or as an addition to our ingame events, communicate and get direct feedback that we didn't have before.
A huge plus about this is centralizing the communication to one page, which is something I know have been wanted from us.

I'm not saying that there won't be an increase in activity from FPC on forum, I am saying you should not expect as much as you do, as it is still mainly me alone who'll be running the communication.

I wish you all the best of luck, I just hoped you would have returned to the time where MA had a dedicated forum where we could chat with more than one official person.
Your statement regarding "a hot-line to the devs" pretty much tells it all. It seems as if you are afraid to let loose your employees on the forum. Everything has to be moderated internally before it is released to the public.

This is true for "statements" - such as "FPC to buy forum".. But my old favourite where marco said that the loot was a direct function of the coffee in the MA coffee machine dident spawn off a storm of "why is loot part of MA's coffee machine"...

This forum - I hoped, would become that "light hearted" way of interacting with the rest of the FPC team, and also give you the possibility of offering official statements on the same platform.

Which returns me to the, it seems MA are afraid of the community and what will happen if they let the employees free on the forum.

I think "fun" and "new ideas" will happen.. it seems as if you think "only bad things can come from this".... That I find sad.. :)

why we don t close this tread?????

in any case FPC and 711 made a deal. They dind t ask our opinion (they don t need to ask actually) and this tread is just to inform us about.

And you see how is different US and THEM.

So let this new owner run the forum, let see how it works.

If it s a shit (if i well know Marco and friends it will be) we can migrate to other forums. Moreover i guess that if 711 has not sold the domain name is because in this way he can just ...... rebuilt his own community (i guess also that the domain name cost a shoot in the a$$).

I have a tons of doubts too. I just feel that nobody care actually about mine or your opinion , we are just wasting our time.

But will there be more activity on the future? Or it will be just you?

You guys have no idea of the benefit of an open relationship with the community.

We will lose the "free speech" of this forum , and we will not get any of the good side of official forum.

*cough*whichfreespeach*cough*

The forum isn't made for marketing purposes, its to maintain a good place for the community to hang out and talk about Planet Calypso.

Why did you change anything then?

I just got sold!

Very much my feeling...

Regarding PM's, we don't have any interest snooping around in players PM's. It won't happen.

Well, you would say the same if you would plan to, right?

**Soon to come** NeoMarco in the word filter:silly2:

LOL!!!

That was the first word I wanted to check on the new forum...well, a similar one, not that one :D

He stated he will be an outside contractor. Contractors aren't employees.

That is just another term for a person getting paid for doing a job for a company...:rolleyes:

Hanne is running the Forum as General Admin, we all know her and I doubt she would go through all your PMs, she even stated she wouldn't.

Oh, she won't coz she said so...( fyi, I don't think she will )

It's all apart of the ToU, the PMs are in the Database, the Database is being sold. You agreed to this happening by singing up and using your Entropia Forum account.

So if the ToU said, i must wake up at 5 m to pray to Neo, I would have to do it? Coz its written in the ToU?

The current Moderators are going to be the Mods, and they are doing Volunteer work.
How do you know? And who will choose new ones?

It's kind of funny that many were complaining that MA/FPC should have an official forum, and now that they are doing it there are many others that are questioning it.

I think people wished that MA/FPC finally make their own forum.Build it , take care of it , make post , statement , dev discution and so on..

What we have here is , MA/FPC , buy the number 1 fan forum ,paste the word "official" on it .. and hop , its done...No post , no discution , no management , no help to player , nothing...

So in the end , we will not have anymore fan forum , and we dont get an real official forum...In fact , the comunauty is losing all...

And you would like people to be happy.

It probably a good deal for 711 Gratz to him...
A not so good deal for MA/FPC..
and IMHO a very bad deal for the comunauty.

Well, you would say the same if you would plan to, right?

They dont have the man power to write 1 post now and then to make live just one part of this forum... so read PM lol...i think you can sleep good , no one will read what ever you write in PM

Just out of curiosity 711, what are your plans for EF?

Rgds

Ace

Just out of curiosity 711, what are your plans for EF?

Rgds

Ace

I hope he's thinking about creating a fresh forum

If he does the PCF will have few users and will be very easy to maintain :laugh:

You seem to have an unusual idea of the term "employee". Would you consider the people who work at the ISP that provides the internet connection for Entropia to be MindArk employees? (they also are paid for services by MA). Are the people who work at FPC's public relations firm also FPC employees?

Private messages...

You have the ability to delete all of your private messages before the forum database is transferred to PCF.

Hanne|FPC addressed these questions in the official announcement on Entropia Gateway:

Hanne|FPC said:
Happily, Rayne Jade and JohnCapital have accepted my request to continue in their roles as forum moderators, meaning that they’ll carry on their good work at PCF under a Community Forum Staff program. Note that Community Forum Staff are not First Planet Company officials or employees – they are volunteers for a role that can often be thankless and daunting, so I hope the community shows them the respect they deserve. It is not unlikely that you’ll see a few more additions to the community staff in the future, but I find it crucial that we start up with a solid team of experienced moderators.

I think people wished that MA/FPC finally make their own forum.Build it , take care of it , make post , statement , dev discution and so on..

What we have here is , MA/FPC , buy the number 1 fan forum ,paste the word "official" on it .. and hop , its done...No post , no discution , no management , no help to player , nothing...

So in the end , we will not have anymore fan forum , and we dont get an real official forum...In fact , the comunauty is losing all...

And you would like people to be happy.

It probably a good deal for 711 Gratz to him...
A not so good deal for MA/FPC..
and IMHO a very bad deal for the comunauty.

Well, the more cynical part of me doesn't care if people are happy with it. :D Some people complain that the sky is blue...

If FPC made a new forum, either people would go there but it wouldn't have all the past info of EF, or people would not go there and it would be less useful/convenient. This way the content of the present EF is combined with more official things of FPC. I think it was a good idea.

If you want to mercilessly bash MA/FPC and you get banned, then there are other websites.

If your pms are full of detailed descriptions of inappropriate things you'd like to do to Hanne, then yeah maybe you might want to delete some pm's. :silly2:

But really I don't see any big problems.

Starfinder,

The plan is that we'll have light hearted interaction! At the same time its not possible for us to respond to nearly every thread written here.

You're wrong about being afraid to let loose the FPC employees: I'd love to have them in the forum, but these are people who have other responsibilities rather then reply to the forum posts, and thus I feel it should be made clear to you that I am not intending to pressure them into spending time on the forum instead. The forum is my responsibility, not theirs.

I absolutely do not think "only bad things can come from this", I think you're reading my posts wrong. Im very much looking forward to it. :)

Status
Back