Question: Have attributes been soft capped at 100?

Mac

Marauder
Mannanan Mac y Lir
I was talking to someone last night about attributes and I was told that there was a nerf a few years ago that essentially capped them at 100 if you didn't have more than that already, and if you did, they weren't moving at all past that until missions were introduced, but that was basically the only way to gain them now past 100. Anyone know anything about this? I apparently failed at searching.

I'm at 80 agi now (the price I paid for taking 5 years off :laugh: ) so if that is true, then I was thinking one course of action to take would be to skip the missions until I had those attributes to 100, then do the missions to boost past it.

Anyone have any more info, comments, strategy, etc.? How are you dealing with this?

Attributes are sort of like the skills we get, the more you have the more difficult to skill up the higher you go. Getting past 80 is quite tough, 90 well harder, @ 100 you get the point. There are of course avatars with mind boggling attributes all due to past vu's which now no longer matter, like running gave you agility etc. I think 100 is the best a natural skiller in today's EU could think to achieve over time, with missions this can of course be more helpfull if your at 90 or at 100. The problem with mission attribute rewards is that no matter how high your attribute or how low you still only get 1 point so for it to be of any use to you really, you need to wait till your around the 90 mark to start doing missions, cause you don't know if they will add any further missions with attribute gains so its a gamble. If they do add more then it's a safe bet for the lower skilled avatars to start trying to do missions now. Attributes are not capped they are just insanely hard to skill, once @ that range.

Reactions: Mac
I personally do not believe it is "capped at 100" I still get updates from friends as they go - just hit 1XX Agility etc. etc. These people were not gaining them from missions but just mindlessly grinding. I think of agility as I do other skills. When you hit 10k naturally in a skill it takes and awful long time to get to 10,001. The same can be said for stats. They move naturally just miniscule as can be. My best advice would be to just keep on doing what you are doing and don't check those stats too often, else the movement will seem even more slow. My grandmother once told me "A watched pot never boils" it pertains to this situation as well.

Not so much capped, as just very very very slow work. If you start mission-free hunting 24/7 today from 80 Agility, and pass your avatar on in your will, your great great grandson might one day see 100 Agility.

Personally I've just been taking the free attributes as they come. I've been playing for 5+ years already anyway, if you indefinitely postpone them you just end up never doing the missions. And attributes are of limited value anyway, the skills from the final mission are the real rewards imo.

Last edited:
Personally I've just been taking the free attributes as they come. I've been playing for 5+ years already anyway, if you indefinitely postpone them you just end up never doing the missions. And attributes are of limited value anyway, the skills from the final mission are the real rewards imo.
Yep I'm the same here.

i've been able to move from 90 agility to 119 just by doing missions.

so no, not capped, easier than ever to move them, imo.

i've been able to move from 90 agility to 119 just by doing missions.

so no, not capped, easier than ever to move them, imo.

I think you missed this part...

...they weren't moving at all past that [point] until missions were introduced, but that [missions] was[are] basically the only way to gain them now past 100.

Basically, I was told by someone who's been around in the game operating at end game level for a long time who is significantly above 100 in attributes, he said that there was a nerf to attribute gains a few years ago, and wherever you were past 100 was where you were going to be post nerf, it was only after missions were introduced that they were able to progress in those attributes again, but only by doing missions.

What that meant to me was, as someone below 100 now, who wanted to get above 100 in the future, the strategy to take was to delay missions and just grind till you get to 100 where you reach that invisible cap, and then do the missions, that way you go until your grind cap, then boost them past that nerf point to however many mission points are available, I think there are 25 points available for agility for example. So, theoretically, one would grind to 100, and do the 25 missions and end up with 125 agility, but after that they would be stuck at that point until or unless MA decided to remove the grind cap or drop more attribute missions sometime in the future.

But, like Jimmy B indicated, if attributes are only limited value, what does it really matter?

But, like Jimmy B indicated, if attributes are only limited value, what does it really matter?

Well, they do have some use in that they contribute a small amount to health and pro-levels, but it is pretty small. And now they affect things like max carried weight, which is new, so there could be furter effects introduced later.

But anyway, your understanding of the 'cap' isn't quite right, it's just a very heavy slowdown. Someone with 116.1 Agility would probably be on something like 116.2 Agility after 2 years of skilling. But someone on 99.1 Agility would probably be on something like 99.3 Agility after 2 years of skilling. So skilling mission-free up to 100 just isn't feasible, you'd never get there.

Skippie's a pretty heavy skiller and he has 90 Agility. Ask him how long it would have taken him to get to 100 if it wasn't for the missions.

I'm at 80 agi now (the price I paid for taking 5 years off :laugh: ) so if that is true, then I was thinking one course of action to take would be to skip the missions until I had those attributes to 100, then do the missions to boost past it.

Skilling your agi up to 100 will take at least another 5 years - and nobody knows what they have nerfed by then... you can start thinking about this when you reach at least 95 agi.

Skippie's a pretty heavy skiller and he has 90 Agility. Ask him how long it would have taken him to get to 100 if it wasn't for the missions.

I'm seeing non-mission related Attribute gains when hunting both melee and ranged while both my Agility and Strength are in the high 90's. Yes it's slow but not as slow as been assumed in earlier posts. I need to update this when I have access to my database at home, from the top of my head 0.01 gain takes about 2-3k ped turnover.

As a fairly serious grinder I still think I can do a level per year; Tiered-mod-merc-swinging-speed-demons like Skippie and Stryker will be able to do it faster. It all comes down to how much turnover you are willing and able to generate.

/Slupor

Not so much capped, as just very very very slow work. If you start mission-free hunting 24/7 today from 80 Agility, and pass your avatar on in your will, your great great grandson might one day see 100 Agility.

What he said. :p

As a fairly serious grinder I still think I can do a level per year; Tiered-mod-merc-swinging-speed-demons like Skippie and Stryker will be able to do it faster. It all comes down to how much turnover you are willing and able to generate.

OK, well maybe it's faster than I guessed, but still, one level a year isn't exactly fast ;)

OK, well maybe it's faster than I guessed, but still, one level a year isn't exactly fast ;)

which explains the immense popularity of missions :cool:

/Slupor

I think there is just a touch of truth to the capped attributes. The truth that lies in it is that to the casual player they will never move. Someone who plays a couple hours a week will not see the attributes change. Someone who plays a few hours a day will see them move slightly. The person who plays 8-12hours a day will see them move much more. I think the people who talked about the cap might be on the lower end of the play time spectrum. My attributes leave much to be desired at this point, but I noticed it is taking me a very long time to tick over my agility now that I can only play ~2 hours daily. When I could play 8hours I could see the gain daily.

No question the missions help people gain fairly quickly as opposed to the alternative.

Skilling your agi up to 100 will take at least another 5 years - and nobody knows what they have nerfed by then... you can start thinking about this when you reach at least 95 agi.

True, we won't know what's in MA's plans. But I personally like to plan ahead and set goals, that's why I was considering this now now. I'm not saying I will ever get there, but I like to at least have a strategy and a reason for having the strategy. If I blow through all the missions now, and gain the attributes now, I risk not being able to use them when I hit the wall. If I did grind to 100 and hit a wall, it would be nice to know I could hit the mission booster to jump over it, if I did those now while I could still grind it up, then I would have effectively wasted that potential.

I guess its a question of do it now and get the benefits now because we never know what MA will do with it down the road, or gamble that things would remain as they are now and plan to use the missions when the big slowdown comes later.

Hmm, sounds like the bird in the hand, two in the bush scenario..

I think there is just a touch of truth to the capped attributes. The truth that lies in it is that to the casual player they will never move. Someone who plays a couple hours a week will not see the attributes change. Someone who plays a few hours a day will see them move slightly. The person who plays 8-12hours a day will see them move much more. I think the people who talked about the cap might be on the lower end of the play time spectrum. My attributes leave much to be desired at this point, but I noticed it is taking me a very long time to tick over my agility now that I can only play ~2 hours daily. When I could play 8hours I could see the gain daily.

What I was referring to was someone who plays hours a day year in and out who has effectively hit a wall, no progress, he sees the green lines, but no movement, at all outside of the recently added mission gains.

Simple answer to original question: natural attribute gains continue past level 100.

I made it to 101 agility thanks to the missions. The progress bar was just barely touching the left edge of the last 1 and after several months, it is almost touching the vertical bar. Extremely slow and not noticeable on a daily basis, but there gain.
If I took images and stitched them together, I might end up with a nice video like NASA made after 14 years of hubble pics.

my two cents which seems like more a wrench in the spokes is --

I've been grinding for 3 weeks and have gone from 34 agi to 43 agi, 9 points in three weeks

Even if there is no cap, I assume attributes work on the same diminishing returns policy that every other skill does

Why would returns drop so dramatically when reaching 80 or 90? It seems, given the minor slowdown I've experienced, that my next 9 points might take a month or month and a half, but they certainly won't take 4-6 months and I can't imagine it slowing down to a point a year before hitting around 150.

But I grind 6-14 hours a day atm
:yay:hi everyone!

I would be very interested in finding out about this as well

and hi :yay:

I've been grinding for 3 weeks and have gone from 34 agi to 43 agi, 9 points in three weeks

Even if there is no cap, I assume attributes work on the same diminishing returns policy that every other skill does

Why would returns drop so dramatically when reaching 80 or 90? It seems, given the minor slowdown I've experienced, that my next 9 points might take a month or month and a half, but they certainly won't take 4-6 months and I can't imagine it slowing down to a point a year before hitting around 150.

You can skill attributes to 40-50 rather fast - a couple months. You will notice a significant slow down getting to 60 and exponentially it will slow down goin onward. There is no "cap" per se, but the slow down is so extreme it may seem that way.

34-43 in 3 weeks.
44-53 in, you assume, about 6 weeks.
Then by all logic provided;
54-63 in 12 weeks
64-73 in 24 weeks
74-83 in 48 weeks
84-95 in 96 weeks
95-104 in 192 weeks
105-114 in 384 weeks
115-124 in 768 weeks
125-134 in 1536 weeks
135-144 in 3072 weeks - or 0.15234375 points per year. Nowhere close to your own estimate. :cool:

A very crude estimate, of course. Since we're comparing blocks of 9 points, not one point at a time.

this is a lot closer than 1 point per yr

actually ^^that's neither here nor there because it's probably somewhere between 1 pt a year and whatever I projected

the real question I think is What is the curve? He's gained xx much in xx amount of time, based on previously gaining xx much in xx amount of time. So there's no way for us to know until he gains the other 9 points, or until someone has a graph

I still somewhat agree with DJ and think the next "9 points worth" of agility will yield more like 70-80% overall gain rather than the exponential doubling that Konve suggests. So the next 9 points might take 4 1/2 weeks...

????:eyecrazy:

You can skill attributes to 40-50 rather fast - a couple months. You will notice a significant slow down getting to 60 and exponentially it will slow down goin onward. There is no "cap" per se, but the slow down is so extreme it may seem that way.

I don't logically believe there is an arbitrary drop after a certain number, only a gradual increase in rake by the system from your skill gain

DJ & Jackson you both are not making any sense at all. Especially about the return policy, wtf's attributes got to do with your return's policy? What you saying that the more attributes you gain or the slower they are the more your loot is diminishing? Err that's plain idiocy imo. Wait till you get to 70 in any attribute & watch how slow it goes from there. 0 to 60 can be done "very easily within 1 year" of hard core skilling. 60 - 70 difficult 70 - 80 very hard, 80 - 90 you stop watching, 90 - 100 naturally, almost unbearable to watch if not impossible without rewards. Skills have no bearing on loot returns "policy being 90%-92%". Read more before posting.

I never said a word about loot, are you insane?

edit:
your disinformation has put you completely off topic and your rant only furthers your strange demonstration

addendum:
i think you've got a rusty nail where your brain should be

Last edited:
I never said a word about loot, are you insane?

edit:
your disinformation has put you completely off topic and your rant only furthers your strange demonstration

addendum:
i think you've got a rusty nail where your brain should be
Your an idio*, no really you are. I was TALKING ABOUT DJ & his comment above you where he talks about return policy which I understood as return rate on loot, as skills which have no correlation to increased loot in his case decreased. You are insa*e not me. I just simply DID NOT UNDERSTAND a word you said in your posts.

Get some reading glasses as it was not :offtopic:.
Why would returns drop so dramatically when reaching 80 or 90? (In attributes)

Last edited:
Back