EU is becoming so anti-social...How can it be improved?

started talking in all chat

No you did not start talking.

A silent figure indistinguishable from the other silent figures abruptly sent out a textmessage, easily overlooked between all the other messages scrolling by, message and figure to be only connected by paying attention to the name and then checking the names over every figure around you one by one, maybe even without success because it was no one nearby... there is no way to tell if someone close spoke or not, why bother checking? Why bother replying to someone that might be too far away to even look at?

When there was babbling noise you really could "start talking" because as soon as you hit enter and started typing the babbling begun, people could locate the sound by looking around and see who the babbling person is.

You may choose not to believe it but I believe that only because of the missing babbling its 99% easier to ignore others now.

Try it with voice chat activated, talk or make other noises - I bet you have a much better chance getting a reply!

Hi,

I am finding the newcomer initiative I am doing atm realy good, getting to meet a lot of nice people so far.

Very sociable people, money aside for the gift which most are over the moon about, a lot of them have already made their first deposit, registered here on the forums, found a mentor and have joined a good society; not to mention know where to hunt their first beginner mobs now too :)

But I do agree, more needs to be done for the game to bring back the 06/07 feel.

part of the problem... all the planets, all the space... and many of the 'social butterflys' leaving the virtual realm to themselves become Planet Partners... The planets were set up to bring folks in, and some are trying, but so far the marjority of the population on any planet are all space travelers that don't call any one place their permanent home.

I wouldn't say EU is less social. The chance to be social whether in a soc, or just running around is still there, it's just changed a bit. The entire atmosphere of EU itself has changed. The old PA was a 1 of a kind. Even with it's lag and all it's glitches, it has never and probably never will be duplicated.

Back in the day, it just seemed like you were somehow almost thrown together sometimes with people you'd never meet otherwise.

When I was a noob, i'm talking maybe a few weeks old, I decided I was going to walk all the way around Eudoria and grab all the TP's I could that we close to the outer edges of the map. I grabbed a bunch of bombs to drop along the way.I started from PA and ran south. I had no gun, so when I ran into mobs I had to jump in the water and swim. When I finally made it to the East side, I came onto a beach full of Cornudacada. This was where I met Slapnuts for the first time. He was out killing corn's, and offered to clear the beach for me. We chatted for a bit about EU and the opportunity's etc. He put his gun up in the trade window so I could see the stats and explained how the stats worked, etc...he gave me a couple of basic mining tips...then cleared the beach so I could mine it. It was just a really cool encounter . Over time I met many others the same way...by chance. I'd get stuck on an LA, or be way out somewhere where an unarmed noob should never be, and almost always was an offer of help etc. And the person (anyone remember an ava named Soldat?) would spend 30 minutes of their time and ammo to lead this dumb noob to safety.

I'm not saying people don't still help...it just seemed like running with someone for 30 or 40 minutes while they shot mobs to protect me and tell me stuff about the game and we made small talk about who we are and where we're from, made it seem more like an untamed, dangerous planet.
Now you get killed out running where you shouldn't be, you revive and dig out you vehicle and fly/ Drive away through the mobs, or even if you get rescued the 3 minutes you're in the vehicle just doesn't provide that same experience.
Not saying EU is bad now, I still do love it...it's just different. Lots of new cool stuff has come to EU.
Time marches on, stuff changes...I get it.

It doesn't mean it's “all” better either ;)...Sometimes I really miss that wild, untamed feeling Calypso had.
Calypso just seems like a much more “tamed” place somehow to me now.
Just my opinion. :)

All I have to add - Watch this video and see the deeper meaning!

This is the vibe from 2006/7 Entropia that I can relate to. Not in terms of music, but in terms of:

The social aspects!

It doesn't mean it's “all” better either ;)...Sometimes I really miss that wild, untamed feeling Calypso had.
Calypso just seems like a much more “tamed” place somehow to me now.
Just my opinion. :)

Yup :)

Mainly in my opinion, due to things people begged / whined for, and when they received them, whined some more:

Apartments, Malls, Banks, Shops, Tailoring, Vehicles, City Redesign... the list goes on :) all, personally, detrimental to the original PE experience - and thus, detrimental (again personally) to the social experience.

Bring back the Vibe!

Entropia can be like this once more.

Who remembers the old starting area in 06/07, how much did PA rock back then :)

bring back gibberish, laying down, sitting, jacquizzis, add a golf course, slip and slides, a whole fucking waterpark for that matter. whatever...just bring back ways to do things without HUNT/MINE/CRAFT/DEPOSIT. MA if you're listening, small thing like the social aspect will create player retention by creating more friendships. Period.

Yes they aren't spending money at it at first, but creating social bonds leads to longer hours logged in, which leads to groups and friendships forming, which leads to more soc's forming, which leads to groups and hunting, which leads to even more fun, which leads to more players learning, and staying, and more deposits. End of story. It works.

And for the first time I agree with the living fossil.

What a load of nonsense. Anyone who wanted to be ready had plenty of time to save for new hardware.

VU10 came in August 2010. There were threads in this forum FOR AT LEAST 2YEARS before that discussing the need to update computers, and what the requirements were likely to be. I bought my new system in April that year to be ready for it!

We all know how MA keeps theres time frames or do i say more.

The game needs social hunting-specific areas that have specific "giant mob " where 10 to 15 players are randomly grouped as they enter the area then 100 ped is withdrawn from thier ped card and thier given 1 weapon and ammo.Then the hunt begins and your group of 15 goes and kills as many mob as possible.When you global etc its split fare between everyone,no items but loot could be resource based or ped.But the idea is any player uber or not can hunt with anyone any time when they login to play regardless of skills for 100 ped and have fun.If 100 ped and an opalo doesnt do it for you there could be higher risk mob to hunt but the idea is limitless.

Yup :)

Mainly in my opinion, due to things people begged / whined for, and when they received them, whined some more:

Apartments, Malls, Banks, Shops, Tailoring, Vehicles, City Redesign... the list goes on :) all, personally, detrimental to the original PE experience - and thus, detrimental (again personally) to the social experience.

I could make a list with those I agreed with and those i don't, but it 's beside the point really. Some of the stuff you listed actually helped or had mostly no effect, some didn't help at all.
At this point it doesn't matter so much...what's done is done.
I'd love to see some of the old atmosphere back...but it doesn't look like it's going to happen. Sadly.

I believe the op's question was what could be done to bring it back. I don't think you can. Not as it was.

PE as it was is sadly dead. We either adapt to what we have or we leave. That is the harsh reality I guess.

The people are still here...some old, some new...

I'm still here checking out the new stuff...bitching about the stuff MA fuck up...pining for the stuff lost forever, but still depositing and playing after close to 6 years....I guess it can't be all bad if i'm still here. :)

Just along for the ride I guess :)

Edit:
And one of the main reasons I keep sticking around is the people...so the social aspect ain't so bad. :)

Last edited:
free or cheaper octagon :yay:

Indeed, I'm the only living fossil on this forum...until somebody named Archaeopteryx or something joins. :)

Thanks for the comments, everyone. Some players gave the expected fanboy replies, others agreed or disagreed to some extent, while still others had additional suggestions--and lastly, some said EU was dead and could never go back.

In summary, there is some useful info here in case MA's watching. I personally don't think EU is "dead and can't go back"; indeed it can't go back precisely to the way it was at any past time, but it *can* be improved. It's evident from many of your responses that the social aspect of the game has diminished, and joining a society isn't the solution. Back before societies were implemented, the game was PLENTY social. Now it's not so much, so obviously societies aren't the answer.

Hope MA can take something useful from this thread. :)

Indeed, I'm the only living fossil on this forum...until somebody named Archaeopteryx or something joins. :)

Thanks for the comments, everyone. Some players gave the expected fanboy replies, others agreed or disagreed to some extent, while still others had additional suggestions--and lastly, some said EU was dead and could never go back.

In summary, there is some useful info here in case MA's watching. I personally don't think EU is "dead and can't go back"; indeed it can't go back precisely to the way it was at any past time, but it *can* be improved. It's evident from many of your responses that the social aspect of the game has diminished, and joining a society isn't the solution. Back before societies were implemented, the game was PLENTY social. Now it's not so much, so obviously societies aren't the answer.

Hope MA can take something useful from this thread. :)

PE is never dead :) I have always said, when MA goes under (eventually it will happen, hopefully in many, many years), I will buy the original code to pre-CE2 PE, and set up my own F2P server. Because that concept, that original game, was that fucking good. It really was.

However, sociability could be improved. More accounts, will, yes, lead to more chatter in cities. Buuuut... more cohesion in binding community to leaders is needed. I could name nearly every "big" avatar of 2003-2005. I could probably name 1 or 2 nowadays.. mainly because even the anonymous ones in 03 (anda) were still well known, rather than the well know avatars nowadays being, well, rather anonymous..

A forum where people were less rude would help.

Forums are a bad place for noobs these days

even the anonymous ones in 03 (anda) were still well known..

Wasn't she/he the first to hit grand master in rifle?

Wasn't she/he the first to hit grand master in rifle?

yah, a long time before anyone else came close too. Don't really care if it was a him/her/whatever irl, ingame, she is and always has been my idol :) diminutive, shy, but uttery fucking brilliant. It's a shame I have such a big mouth or I could attempt to emulate her :)

We can't sit at the beach or lay down. Used to do that just to hang out with people and talk. Sit down under a tree, relax. Now there is no relaxing, so it is all go go go hunt mine craft or boredom and logout.

I agree! :yup:

Just for the record:

Am I the only one noticing a bunch of folks chatting about how EU has become anti-social...

...and noticing the irony? :silly2:

(Not saying I agree/disagree with anyone. Just sayin'...)

A forum where people were less rude would help.

Forums are a bad place for noobs these days

I agree. Forums are also a bad place for newbies due to people basically telling them "find something else" before they even have a chance to get their feet wet.

Newbies dont stick to the new players section. They want to know whats up. Reading a bunch of complaint threads makes them reconsider passing up playing TERA.

We can't sit at the beach or lay down. Used to do that just to hang out with people and talk. Sit down under a tree, relax. Now there is no relaxing, so it is all go go go hunt mine craft or boredom and logout.

This is a correct sentiment. Though I think we could broaden this. Laying down is great in second life, but I want non-monetary laser tag, chess tournaments, boat races, cars with manual transmission that can be controlled ingame, as well as accelleration, etc, surfing, diving, exploring.

Theres plenty of possibilities to explore for free activities.

Fishing is a popular one too.

With regard to the laser tag, why not make it a beta area. Players can teleport in, be exposed to code in testing, and offer feedback prior to deployment.

Last edited:
but I want non-monetary laser tag

Err, what?

chess tournaments

www.chess.com

boat races

http://www.shipsim.com/

cars with manual transmission that can be controlled ingame

err.. real life?

Theres plenty of possibilities to explore for free activities.

Fishing is a popular one too.

Give me a good reason why MA should explore these possibilities? Surely it would be better for the games economy and personal returns to make all implemented activities a cost related activity; and just incrementally reduce this cost relative to the capita players?

Give me a good reason why MA should explore these possibilities? Surely it would be better for the games economy and personal returns to make all implemented activities a cost related activity; and just incrementally reduce this cost relative to the capita players?

A good reason? Here's several.

1) Age of Wushu, Lord of the Rings Online, Asheron's Call 2, and many other games provide non-monetary sources of entertainment for players who want to socialize. If you dont offer what the competition does in a similar genre, you lose players to the competition who want those specific items. These are not gameplay mechanics issues. Theyre social issues. They should not be left out.

2) Socialization leads to a feeling of community. When you feel like you are a part of something, you spend your money there. So a smart developer of any system will include as many possibilities for socialization as they can.

3) People complain about the cost of socialization. This provides free outlets for that, allowing a player to develop affection for a product and actually want to spend their money. The more things you can do, the more you feel like your dollar is being well spent.

4) Things like Chess Tournaments that can be provided for free increase competitive spirit, which can broaden into other play experiences. Well, you're good at Chess, but I wonder if you can kill 100 Araenatrox in 1 hour? Want to try?

5) You want to hunt, mine, and craft in a sandbox environment? There's a game for that. It's called Ultima Online. It costs $12 a month. Why pay $100 or more when you can pay $12? EU needs to be the ultimate sandbox game where you can hunt, mine, craft, be a space pilot, be a fisherman, be a musician, be a movie star, be a laser tag champion, be an arena boxer... in short, be it all.

Then your cost is justified because your options are plentiful and of high quality. Its the difference between a game and a virtual world.

magyar did u once go by the name of brooklyn?

Sorry. I've used this name since 1997. Haven't changed it. You're implying something though. Instead of being all vague and snickering to those buddies who may be in the know and playing the role of the elitist snob, why dont you share with the class what you actually mean? Is that okay, or are we unworthy to hear your lofty opinion of my post?

Sorry. I've used this name since 1997. Haven't changed it. You're implying something though. Instead of being all vague and snickering to those buddies who may be in the know and playing the role of the elitist snob, why dont you share with the class what you actually mean? Is that okay, or are we unworthy to hear your lofty opinion of my post?

Dude, he was simply implying that you have been acting like another forum user that used to be here. That part was pretty obvious, even if you didn't know who Brook was.

Either way, there was no reason to answer with such venom. Not sure what's been your problem lately, but chill out.

A good reason? Here's several.

1) Age of Wushu, Lord of the Rings Online, Asheron's Call 2, and many other games provide non-monetary sources of entertainment for players who want to socialize. If you dont offer what the competition does in a similar genre, you lose players to the competition who want those specific items. These are not gameplay mechanics issues. Theyre social issues. They should not be left out.

2) Socialization leads to a feeling of community. When you feel like you are a part of something, you spend your money there. So a smart developer of any system will include as many possibilities for socialization as they can.

3) People complain about the cost of socialization. This provides free outlets for that, allowing a player to develop affection for a product and actually want to spend their money. The more things you can do, the more you feel like your dollar is being well spent.

4) Things like Chess Tournaments that can be provided for free increase competitive spirit, which can broaden into other play experiences. Well, you're good at Chess, but I wonder if you can kill 100 Araenatrox in 1 hour? Want to try?

5) You want to hunt, mine, and craft in a sandbox environment? There's a game for that. It's called Ultima Online. It costs $12 a month. Why pay $100 or more when you can pay $12? EU needs to be the ultimate sandbox game where you can hunt, mine, craft, be a space pilot, be a fisherman, be a musician, be a movie star, be a laser tag champion, be an arena boxer... in short, be it all.

Then your cost is justified because your options are plentiful and of high quality. Its the difference between a game and a virtual world.

1) I dunno; I'm not an MMO geek. I play one "videogame"; thats PE. This always was the general audience of PE - those other "gamers" fucked off pretty quick.

2) PE had a very tight knit community. It wasn't massive, and as it expanded it obviously lost its cohesion - as all real world communities do. MA have included enough "tools" imo to facilitate societal cohesion imo.

3) Nah. What would be wholly more productive is activities which cost PED and which are also highly social. As is shown by MA's experimentation with sweating - I'm sure you cannot recall pre-sweating days (as you were not involved with PE) but the game had a far more integrated society than nowadays - but this was pre- free social activies!! How can this be!!

4) Seriously. If you think pissing away time on some facebook style minigames is worthwhile you don't deserve to be a part of the PE community.

5) Yeah. That's a completely reasonable comparison. Some shitty geeky MMO where I am contractually obliged to play, compared to my lovely intricate swedish MMO which has and always will be F2P since I joined in 01/02. Why pay more? Cos quite honestly, PE is worth $10 to every $1 of subscription fee to a cookie cutter shitfest MMO.

The intricacy with which MA have combined such basic activities with general story movement is a sight to behold, and personally I believe it will be emulated by many companies to come in the future.

One thing that improves the friendliness of the community is when everyone has to work together toward a common goal. So one example is when you see more camaraderie is during mob invasions, when strangers work together to survive. You also see it on the frontier planets where each person is proportionally more valuable to the community and the community is small enough that most people are familiar with each other, you feel like co-adventurers, where you know that you will have to see that other player tomorrow and the next day, and are therefore more likely to treat them with respect than mouth off to them. You also get to know other players and respect them either for their skills or their RL self.

Of course, you'll always have some anti-social people in game no matter what. But finding ways to get the community to break into small groups whose members have a common challenge and need to cooperate to succeed, this is a great way to improve the social atmosphere of the game. Motherships are one example of a small group setting that requires teamwork and socialization.

Dude, he was simply implying that you have been acting like another forum user that used to be here. That part was pretty obvious, even if you didn't know who Brook was.

Either way, there was no reason to answer with such venom. Not sure what's been your problem lately, but chill out.

My problem? I have no problem. Im just posting. Sorry if I recognize truth for what it is, and see no reason to cut users the benefit of the doubt. Why should I be generous to someone who is not being kind to me? I'm no sucker. If people want to be aggressive, I'll give them aggression. People want to be snarky, I'll give them that too. If you want to give them the benefit of the doubt, fine. That's your job. Not mine.

Not everyone gets this treatment from me. In fact, most users dont. Perhaps the folks who are getting treated poorly might want to take a moment to reflect on their own behavior? Profit, for instance, has been on my nuts for over a year. I'll call him on another sad attempt. If you find that objectionable, you know what to do.

Last edited:
Back