Auction threats - What to watch out for:

Society
Entropy
Sunsout Tacotuesday Gunsout
Since my other thread was closed because apparently it is against forum rules to post screenshots of public auctions without blurring out the names, I wanted to make a new one (that followed the arbitrary rule against not sharing public information on this forum)

There are many things you need to watch out for when buying from auctions. Many players, both high level, and noob, try to use the auction in unscrupulous ways to obtain PED by the mistakes of others.

Things to watch out for:

1. The MU Switch. A player lists an auction for a "+ ped" amount, when the auction data is using "%". They hope you don't notice that the market data was in a percentage format, and not the other plus-ped format.

2. The I-Want-To-Get-Noticed listing. People list low starting bids with ridiculously high buy-outs. They do this for attention, but if you accidentally click the BO, they will gladly keep your PED.

3. The tt BP flip. People buy new tt BP's and sell them at high MU hoping the catch people who don't realize these BPs are available from the tt.

4. The Blatant Trick. Listing any crap item with deliberately inflated prices hoping someone accidentally clicks the BO and has lots of ped on their card.

There are many more examples that I will add, and there will be many more current threats that I will expose as soon as I see them. Feel free to post your own too. Even though it is public information who the people are listing these auctions, remember, the forum want you to black out their names because the forum wants to protect them.

In the examples above, some are high level players who are trying to rip people off, and some are noobs, or alts of high-level players. Some are simply mistakes, too. Not everyone is guilty, but we already know who the top-offenders are. But the fact remains, it is imperative that you ALWAYS look closely and think before you bid. These people will keep doing it. I do NOT want them to get your money, so BE CAREFUL!

One, last note, I understand that it is perfect legal for people to list auctions at whatever value they want. That is NOT the issue. So the 12 people that needed to point that out in the old thread, do NOT need to repeat their drivel. The purpose of this thread is to warn others, particularly the newer players, because when they get scammed and quit, this game get hurt, and therefore we all do.

Last edited:
reserved for future use....cuz we all know the {removed} wont stop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you add pictures of auctions with no buyout also, so everyone knows not to bid too much on them :D?

Really, everyone can see the price, so no problem there. And no reason to post pointless pictures of auctions here.

Last edited:
Can you add pictures of auctions with no buyout also, so everyone knows not to bid too much on them :D?

Really, everyone can see the price, so no problem there.

There IS a problem, because numerous people, both new and veteran, have lost PED because of these. So you are posting lies. There IS a problem, and you are part of it, so please stop trolling my posts.

There IS a problem, because numerous people, both new and veteran, have lost PED because of these. So you are posting lies. There IS a problem, and you are part of it, so please stop trolling my posts.

I am not trolling just worried just like you :D No buyout is same as tt+999999999 buyout :) as players can bid on it their whole ped cards if they are not careful, If they are careful, then they wont bid neither on big buyout auctions or no buyout auctions. What lies i am posting? I am part of what? free economy :D?

And ty for neg repping me :) go spread around some rep so you can do it again ;)

OMG someone listed an estate for 1.5mil start bid and no buyout! You better add that to your OP list of potential scams :dunce:

Seriously...... if people are stupid enough in a Real Cash Economy game to not READ the first or SECOND confirmation that auction gives you then yes they deserve to get their peds take from them.

Also, who are you to list people auction and accuse them of scamming? I guess everyone must route their sales by you before listing on auction to make sure it fits what you think items should be listed at. Get over yourself. You are not the auction police and people can list whatever the fuck they want at whatever price they want.

YOU DONT LIKE IT DONT CLICK ON IT!

-Bemo-

OMG someone listed an estate for 1.5mil start bid and no buyout! You better add that to your OP list of potential scams :dunce:

Seriously...... if people are stupid enough in a Real Cash Economy game to not READ the first or SECOND confirmation that auction gives you then yes they deserve to get their peds take from them.

Also, who are you to list people auction and accuse them of scamming? I guess everyone must route their sales by you before listing on auction to make sure it fits what you think items should be listed at. Get over yourself. You are not the auction police and people can list whatever the fuck they want at whatever price they want.

YOU DONT LIKE IT DONT CLICK ON IT!

-Bemo-

How did me wanting to make a page for new people to learn about how they can be harmed on auction deserve a neg rep Bemo? And to be sworn at? How did this thread deserve that?

I guess you and Snable and a few others must NOT want people warned or must NOT want people to be careful for some reason...:scratch2:

If you need to be nanny'd on auction, and can't accept responsibility for your actions, maybe you should stay in your bubble and not play an RCE.
At what point do we stop this bs and say "hey, it's your responsibility!"?

If you need to be nanny'd on auction, and can't accept responsibility for your actions, maybe you should stay in your bubble and not play an RCE.
At what point do we stop this bs and say "hey, it's your responsibility!"?
I'm gonna go with this, apparently, you need some brains to play this game (or anything else, that has real money in it), if you get screwed up with those auctions... maybe it's time for you to try some other game.
Just saying...

First off, I have never been harmed by it, but I have heard about numerous people accidently clicking BO on these types of auctions. If some new guy clicks on these and loses his card, yes it IS stupid, but then that guy leaves...I know 2 people who left because they lost a lot, one by scam and one by buying something accidentally. Warning about the chance that someone could do this if they are not paying attention, how is this harming anything? Seriously. All 4 of you guys (Whiteknut, Bemo, Profit, Cail) needed to troll this thread? It's THAT important to you that people who might errantly move their clicker-finger lose a ton of PED?

Look, you 4 have your reasons for trolling this...whatever. If you want people to lose thier PED so bad, make your own thread where you tell people they SHOULD NOT be careful. This thread is to tell people to be careful. Because I am not an abusive person like you 4 are (I don't root for people to fail.) I want them and this game to succeed.

And to tell me to play another game, simply because I point out auctions that might harm someone? I will not even begin to explain foolish you all are...I will leave it up to others. You have trolled this thread because you want it shut down like you did the last one. Why?

Because you are scared that people might not make these mistakes anymore?That is the ONLY reason I can see that, and therefore, afaic, your 4 just outed yourselves.

If you don't want me warning people, then there must be a reason for it. It is obvious (to me) now that maybe some of you 4 are some of the ones probably making these auctions. Thanks for telling everyone.

I don't need to rip people off because I am completely successful in RL and can afford to play. Maybe that's why you're so butt-hurt. Because you are afraid I am exposing your little scheme to take other peoples hard earned money and you are poor in real life.

Mods, if you read this, please remove their posts and this one of mine too. This needs to go no further. The warnings I post will continue, and I will not let this thread get trolled shut too.

Last edited:

if it's that much of a problem for you, perhaps you should think about buying a shop or apartment with shopkeeper? One of the reasons I bought my shop when I did (unfortunately don't own it any longer) is because of dumb auction tricks...

side note...
If you take this to the extreme, all markup is really a scam in one shape or the other. Pixels and numbers in a database on a server is all the hard earned cash is buying you any time you buy anything in Entropia Universe.... no 'real' goods involved at all...

That's why no matter what happens Mindark and the Planet Partner's advertising isn't going to bring in the masses that some are hoping it will...

I guess you and Snable and a few others must NOT want people warned or must NOT want people to be careful for some reason...:scratch2:
not sure about them in particular, but YES, many do 'live' off of other's mistakes in game.... It's rather sad state of affairs. I think for some the longer they play Entropia the longer they become more 'evil' and manipulative of others through subtle crap that Mindark allows that just goes on and on without anything being done about it.... slightly not-so-subtle esoteric initiations of the cult of cruelty... and they come to think of these actions and ways of thinking as something they 'should be' doing... following the old adage that That which is not forbidden is allowed

Last edited:
I think you took this the very wrong way.
I, for one, was not trolling, just saying that if you (anyone, not you in particular) are prone to playing games where money doesn't matter, you are deemed to do these mistakes in here.
Also, i was not saying that you should find another game, again, speaking more generally as "anyone" who makes these mistakes, should maybe try something else.
It's not good for anyone if they keep making this kind of mistakes, it's bad rep for the game and looks bad on the forums.

As i said some time ago, this is not a scam. In RCE game you MUST be very careful and watchful, and then you can not make a mistake. I dont make mistakes. If i make a mistake, i'll be silent and dont whine about it. Because it is my mistake, not another player.
Good job Gunsout, but all these cases it's obvious.
Dont click. All your clicks = money.
Be careful here or go to another safe game.
Real world - real money. Real mistakes.

I think you took this the very wrong way.
I, for one, was not trolling, just saying that if you (anyone, not you in particular) are prone to playing games where money doesn't matter, you are deemed to do these mistakes in here.
Also, i was not saying that you should find another game, again, speaking more generally as "anyone" who makes these mistakes, should maybe try something else.
It's not good for anyone if they keep making this kind of mistakes, it's bad rep for the game and looks bad on the forums.
...all these cases it's obvious.
Dont click. All your clicks = money.
Be careful here or go to another safe game.
Real world - real money. Real mistakes.

As a response to the TL;DR angry post by the OP, I concur with the above quotes.

Your last sentence is what the whole point of this is. To hopefully lessen (albeit slightly I am sure) the chance that it happens, and the chance that people lose everything and quit. If mistakes are bad...how can warning people not to make them be bad too?

Look guys, I know if someone does it, it is their fault. I know that people are free to put whatever they want on auction for whatever price they want. But if showing people the things to look out for is wrong in your eyes, it doesn't mean it is wrong. The general consensus is yes, people NEED to remember to be careful. Mistakes can and will happen. Not everyone is ruthless and cold-hearted like some of you. I root for humanity more than I root for myself, and if any of the rest of you think it is still a bad idea to have a thread like this, please think about who it's harming before you post. It's not harming anyone. It's trying to help.

Really, everyone can see the price, so no problem there. And no reason to post pointless pictures of auctions here.

It's about the "intention" of the sellers in the first place, not "how the act was done". I think this is too complicated for you to fully understand. :wise:

The purpose of this thread is to warn others, particularly the newer players, because when they get scammed and quit, this game get hurt, and therefore we all do.

Now, all you posters above me kind of dissed the OP here, but remember this line.

It matters. All of you lot are hardcore cynics who know the ropes. I am guessing the OP is aware of many who don't and gets pissed by a trickle of people who lose all and quit because of these freaks who naturally tap into a way to make a few unethical dollars.... amongst many other things they do no doubt.

Try not to attack the obvious, but attack those who exploit the obvious. Sometimes, simple things need to be pointed out.

The new stuff from TT sold, it goes for armor and guns as well :) some people do however put them up on say caly for tt+transport and landing costs.

He isn't trolling your posts, you are trolling this forum with your idiotic mission to baby proof this game. At least this time you have not violated all forum rules by naming and shaming players.

Pointless thread and a waste of time imo, if ppl are dumb enough to fall for auctions like you describe them, then that's totally okay, they deserve to have given the chance to learn a valuable lesson about money

YOU HAVE TO PAY ATTENTION

Cause if you don't do that guess what ... there is always someone there to take it from you

Angel

I can't believe how hostile people are to someone doing something nice.

What the hell happened the 3 years I was gone? o_O

People giving a kind free tip and they get bashed for it *Shrug* Thanks OP for giving a heads up for those who might not know about it ;)

Because you are scared that people might not make these mistakes anymore?That is the ONLY reason I can see that, and therefore, afaic, your 4 just outed yourselves.

If you don't want me warning people, then there must be a reason for it. It is obvious (to me) now that maybe some of you 4 are some of the ones probably making these auctions. Thanks for telling everyone.

No i dont want people to make these mistakes, but posting pointless threads about it wont help. People can bid on no buyout items same way, they can lose their peds same way -´you cant protect them by insulting other players and giving out neg reps :)

Please think this all through...
And me i usually set buyout cheapest on auction to get fastest peds, so i get called undercutter, if i set it too high i get it posted on this thread? What in the world should i do? Stay away from auctions because you or the ones you are trying to help cant look what they are bidding on? This is nonsense. You should not help someone by causing someone else problems(and posting their auctions here is causing the trouble).
I can't believe how hostile people are to someone doing something nice.

What the hell happened the 3 years I was gone? o_O

People giving a kind free tip and they get bashed for it *Shrug* Thanks OP for giving a heads up for those who might not know about it ;)
Doing something nice? Since when is bad mouthing other player´s auctions being nice? This thread could be made very short:
"Attention players, please to be careful when bidding on auctions"
This would be being nice, but including other people auctions here (that they have paid auctions fees for) is BS. In no way he has been nice, he has insulted me, and many other players with his personal opinions(that these auctions are made to scam or just naming us). I also believe that ppl should be more careful, BUT i dont go running around bashing the sellers for mistakes made by buyers, before the sale has ever taken place.

BTW other posters in this thread i tried to give you +reps but i have to spread around some more to do it again :)

BTW negreppers, i have nothing against someone calling up ppl to be more careful, but i do have something against someone badmouthing other people and their auctions :)

Last edited:
One of the reasons I bought my shop when I did (unfortunately don't own it any longer) is because of dumb auction tricks...

Sadly some shop keepers are no better. While checking shops for Breers and Rikers which now sells at insane prices, I saw the TT Caly sword for 10.000 PED (ten thousands, not ten). Saw even Weapon cells sold at 110%.

And you thought that the goal to setting high buyout price may be advertising, focused on rich players? Every day I check all new auctions with expensive lots (filtered at BO), and regularly seen the appearance of BP (or gifts, clotches, etc.) with start price 1 PED, and BO at 100500 PED. Thus they fall into my field of view and not only mine.
I personally do not see anything wrong in such activities, as no rules it does not break, and the user just moves the sale of lots for the time, which is defined of the time settings of thus offer.

Everyone has the right to set any price, and the one who agreed to pay it (but it is out of range to the real price) must blame only himself.

This warning will not help anyone, but can blame the players who use such techniques to advertise their offers.
Again, it is not against the rules.

Added: For almost seven years of playing I have never clicked on the lot with wrong BO.

Last edited:
A way to reduce the mistakes made by players would be to introduce a new button call "Remove Bid"

This way if I mistakenly made an outrageous bid I can retract my bid

This would be a nice thing for MA that will also benefit MA by saving some people peds so they can decay it:)

I really don't understand why MA doesn't makes these little things happen that will improve our gameplay by a lot

A way to reduce the mistakes made by players would be to introduce a new button call "Remove Bid"

This way if I mistakenly made an outrageous bid I can retract my bid

This would be a nice thing for MA that will also benefit MA by saving some people peds so they can decay it:)

I really don't understand why MA doesn't makes these little things happen that will improve our gameplay by a lot

Retract bids on auctions? Now that would be ugly... someone would purposely bid 10k ped on item ending at night, then before auction ends he removes the bid, and no one is able to buy it (or he can buy it for lower amount himself). And imagine item already having bid on it, you overbid someone with huge amount like 10k peds, the other part gets their peds back and spend it on different item, now you retract your bid.. what would happen? Retracting bids is impossible for many reasons and should stay this way. (there are only few auction mistakes compared to thousands of auctions ending each day, so i think not reason enough to change the system)

The one who makes the sell ofcourse, not the buyer.
This will not be an auction.
And if the payed money will be refunded after the sale - it will not change anything

Its not acceptable

Back