Starting Noob on Calypso vs. ...

I know Calypso is the eldest of the planets, as far as colonization goes, and probably has the most overall variety to offer. However, I was wondering what Calypso has to offer vs. some of the other planets, namely: Arkadia, ROCKtropia and Toulan?

This is most of a post I wrote in another thread:

IMO, Calypso is the best planet for new players. It has a long starting mission chain designed to feed you enough ammo and loot (if you pay attention) to keep you going without having to deposit until you finish the Camp Phoenix missions and you're about level 10ish in some combat skill, probably laser rifle. It introduces new players to things like instances, beacons, iron missions, wave events, and EU's own particular take on PvP. Caly is the largest planet, with the most people and the largest economy. That makes it easier to buy and sell things. Not easy, just easier.

Ark is the second most populated planet, and I think the second largest. It has the second largest economy, which means it isn't impossible for a newbie to sell things there. Ark has a very dedicated player-base, and newb-friendly mobs. For a new player, the one thing that really characterizes Ark is a very linear mission experience. EU is basically a sandbox game with missions...it is pretty open as far as goals. Players tend to make their own. But if a player is someone who always likes knowing what to do next, Ark missions funnel you from new player, to beginner player, to experienced player, to fairly advanced player in their main mission chain. That isn't to say that you have to stay on that path all the time. There is plenty to do on Ark. But if you enjoy achieving goals that are set by the game, maybe Ark is the best planet for you. Note, that main mission chain is gated. You need an Ark passport to do it. Players born on Ark get the passport free. Players born elsewhere have to pay 10K sweat to get it.

Rocktropia is the second planet started. It stumbled pretty badly out of the gate, but has retrenched and come back strong in the last couple of years. The RT starter missions are pretty pedestrian, and for a long time they were broken. But that didn't matter, because the real starter mission chain was Hunt the Thing, widely held to be one of the best and funnest mission chains in the game...possibly the best and funnest. Rock doesn't have that many people, so it can be hard to sell loot there. Having said that, there is a lot there for the new player...haters to sweat, vixens to grind, and zombies to kill. You can also hunt papoo on Secret Island, just make sure you have a banana to get back. The main thing to note about starting on RT, is that you don't. Neverdie made a deal that players that start on RT go to Thule, and then to Caly, which I think was pretty damned decent of him. So starting on Rocktropia is exactly the same as starting on Calypso, with two exceptions. One, your avatar gets a cool looking tee-shirt, which looks better than the OJs. And two, you get a one-time, one-way teleport to Rock from Caly. Do NOT talk to the npc unless you are ready to go right then.

Cyrene is struggling with development. Technically, it is still in open beta. Kris works hard, but it is still pretty buggy in places. But there are players that love it, and some great people who hang out there. There is quite a lot on Cyrene for new players, but it is all very poorly documented. You can find it if you look, and ask around in chat, and the planet is certainly worth a new player (or any player) spending some time on, but it is probably best to actually start somewhere else, where it is easier to learn the game.

Toulan is also new, still in beta. I don't know if you can start there. I know some people have, but that might be closed now, or only open to certain regions. Regardless, there are fewer bugs than Cyrene, but also even less people. It has a really good and fun starter mission chain, and good mission mobs for beginners, but the economy is just too small right now for starting players to do well on Toulan, even if they can start there.

Next Island...is peaceful. Again, I don't know if you actually can start there now. I don't think so. If you can, don't. It's a nice place to visit, but not to start.

Monria, starting on Monria was disabled while things were in flux with the sale. When you could start on Monria, I believe that you began at the Calypso tutorial, but instead of going to Thule to start the Caly mission chains, you went to Monria and did their starter missions. The starter missions on Monria are okay, but other places offer more.

IMO, start on Rock. Do the Caly missions, learn the game, and when you want to go to Rock, talk to the guy in the Sky Lounge in Port Atlantis.

If it's Caly, start with the missions at Camp Icarus (but go to Thule and at least get the Valk). If it's Ark, start at the new arrivals TP if you have 10k of sweat (you can sweat it yourself or buy it). If it's Rock, start at the Hyperplex and Newbs Newbs Newbs (and Hunt the Thing). If it's Cyrene, start at the rookie training area. If it's Toulan, you'll know where to start. If it's Monria, start at the Hub. Don't start on Next Island.

Avon covered very well all the aspects and even me I learned a few new things. I didn't knew Ark need passport for example! I born there so didn't needed anyway.
The only thing you must know! Wherever you decide to start, that doesn't prevent you to do the starting missions in every planet! I did it and was fun and useful. that something I suggest to every new player I meet anyway. before everything else do the starting missions on every planet or at least Caly/Thule - Ark and "The Thing" on ROCKtropia. You will learn many aspects of the game and you will meet many new people, eager to help you.

PS. I suggest to join planet specific chat in every planet you are
(command is /join#planetname):
#calypso
#arkadia
#rocktropia
#cyrene
#nextisland
e.t.c.
also there are trade channels planet specific except the main channel #trade

Last edited:
If you're depositing, stick with Arkadia. There are some freebies there if you know where to look. More variety in mobs you can hunt at a lower level, with better loot. Better for lower level mining as well.

The only thing Calypso can offer you is an overcrowded population, an auction house (that's been dead lately anyway), and "daily tokens".

However IMO Calypso is the most visually striking planet, so if that matters to you, maybe start there and head to Arkadia later.

Your starter planet doesn't really matter that much at all. Nice to get that free passport from Arkadia though.

I prefer ARK a bit more than Caly, but they're both great.

Monria, because Monrian citizens get free space travel on scheduled warps every Friday and Sunday and because Monria, like Rocktropia, sends its new citizens to Calypso on their way into the game. Make the most of that Calypso visit. Its worth it.

Calypso, Monria, or Rocktropia. Here's why.

Planet hopping is surprisingly easy, making the two criteria "What early missions give the most helpful free stuff" and "Do I have a cultural alignment I want to express by starting on a particular planet". While the second of those is more important overall, I do urge every new player to at least visit Calypso long enough to get a Vivo S10 healing tool.

Simply put, you can only get the S10 on Calypso. S10 is repairable, cash efficient, and has a very low skill prerequisite to use efficiently. It's also more fun than some other healing tools due to the tuning of its heals and cooldown. Get one.

As a bonus, Calypso's tutorial (Thule) is pretty good. Rocktropia and Monria both start their new citizens in Calypso's tutorial, then give them one free ride one way to Rocktropia or Monria once the tutorial is completed; if you go this route, don't forget to get that S10 before leaving Calypso.

After the tutorial and the S10, Calypso offers multiple very easy mission chains tuned to a brand new player. I found the Half Moon Cove - Corinth - Phoenix chain very enjoyable, even worth going back to as a cure for boredom later.

The default noob suit is in questionable aesthetic taste and many new Calypsians/Cyreans get out of it as soon as they can. Arkadia, Rocktropia, Monria, and Next Island all offer their own, quite tasteful noob suits:
Arkadia - Military themed - belted slacks, padded vest, rugged boots
Calypso and Cyrene - yellow, Star Trek looking leotard + thigh boots combo
Monria - Lovecraft themed dark shirt+slacks with interesting, vaguely disturbing print design on them
Next Island - silver-grey Star Trek looking jumpsuit and a Greek chiton to wear on laundry day
Rocktropia - "wifebeater" style sleeveless shirt and some pants

Arkadia and Cyrene have their own, separate tutorials with their own, separate issues.

Next Island starts players on itself, but I'm not sure what it has qualifies as a tutorial.

I don't know what Toulan does.

I will say that I find Arkadia to be a better place for a lower-midlevel due to how the planet and its mobs are tuned, and also to Calypso distracting top level players enough of the time that midlevel players have a chance at some Arkadian loot. As a midlevel hunter just beginning to get into crafting, Arkadia offers me the added bonus of a whole lot of easy, low level blueprints that have decent product market value and are easy to get materials for. But crafting while new is a mistake anywhere.

Last edited:
Back