Impact of skills on professions

Sorry, I tried to explain my second question as clearly as possible, but I guess I was unable to. I'm not asking about chance of success, I know all about how that works. I'm asking about output PER SUCCESS. In other words if me and buzz both do one click on the same blueprint, both on condition (or both on quantity), and we both get a success, will his success be on average higher TT value than mine? Or will they on average be the same?

1- No, metallurgy does not contribute to mining professional standings. I have checked this, and i believe others have, too. There are some who maintain that its does affect mining (ie like you're talking about with engineering), even though it plays no role in the pro. standings.

2- I really doubt this. If it worked that way it really would be a pyramid scheme and it wouldn't really fit with the way everything else (other professions) work. Regarding what Pretender is saying: i believe NZR (possibly most skilled crafter in game) said that his COS bar was very slightly closer to the top on quantity, but except for that one case, the only thing i've ever heard any crafter report is that the higher skills get you higher COS (up to the limit) with lower QR on a bp. In other words, once you have a BP "maxed" on quantity, there is no further advantage from skills. Yes, the rumors continue to fly about engineering raising tt return. I haven't seen anyone show proof.

As Doer says, we've pretty solidly proven that Metallurgy doesn't contribute anything to the mining profession levels.

Any response from them on that point, Jimmy?

I got a "Thanks for mentioning this - we've passed it on to the design team" type response.

Our 'man on the street' (or convention as the case may be), who'll remain anonymous unless he chooses to post, has identified the final mindforce skill to be:

Mindforce Fusion.

Don't know if anyone apart from MA avatars has it yet, I guess not.

Our 'man on the street' (or convention as the case may be), who'll remain anonymous unless he chooses to post, has identified the final mindforce skill to be:

Mindforce Fusion.

Don't know if anyone apart from MA avatars has it yet, I guess not.

to make it clear i dont live on the street :)

Ak_MFIcons.jpg

all convention avatars had 1k in any skill, the 2nd from the right in the lower row is the skill called mf fusion. there are no other unlocks in mindforce and also no other unlockable skills which are not known yet, so none in taming and nothing but beauty sense in beauty.

Thanks Steffel and lol I didn't mean to imply you lived on the street :silly2:

And just saw your vid in the sig, cracked me up lol :D

Hmm, yes. I only tested it briefly so I may have been wrong, but skill gains in neither SWS nor EPWT appeared to allow me to fap.

Weapons Handling still contributes HP though.

My results in progressing through hp gains (here) support this conclusion. At the time of gaining the 149th hp, i had 340 Support Weapon Systems skill, which should have (at a minimum) contributed 0.21 HP -- if it contributes at all -- but it appears not to.

Edit: that Support weapon skill was gained since the first (147) hp recorded, so the effect should have been noticeable in this progression.

to make it clear i dont live on the street :)

Ak_MFIcons.jpg

all convention avatars had 1k in any skill, the 2nd from the right in the lower row is the skill called mf fusion. there are no other unlocks in mindforce and also no other unlockable skills which are not known yet, so none in taming and nothing but beauty sense in beauty.

there is another thread claiming that this new skill is called "Force Merge", not "Mindforce Fusion". So, which one is right? :)

there is another thread claiming that this new skill is called "Force Merge", not "Mindforce Fusion". So, which one is right? :)

Seeing is believing. I'm not sure where Mindforce Fusion came from, but having actually seen Force Merge on an avatar's skills list is rather conclusive IMO. :D

Use the force, Luke!

merge fusion whats the difference...err well could be my memory failed me and i got it wrong...sorry :ahh:

merge fusion whats the difference...err well could be my memory failed me and i got it wrong...sorry :ahh:

Ok, so we can sink Fusion, then (cool name, though :( ). I have updated wiki with the correct name and the image.

When I look at the melee damage profession standings, I see following strange difference :

Brawler(dmg) has 7% on Agility and nothing on Strength while Knifefighter(dmg) and Swordsman(dmg) have 7% on Strength and nothing on Agility.

Is this a typo or is it one of the "dynamic" aspects of EU ? ;)

Regards,

Quint

When I look at the melee damage profession standings, I see following strange difference :

Brawler(dmg) has 7% on Agility and nothing on Strength while Knifefighter(dmg) and Swordsman(dmg) have 7% on Strength and nothing on Agility.

Is this a typo or is it one of the "dynamic" aspects of EU ? ;)

Regards,

Quint

Yes, its an oddity - just checked and the numbers as given are correct.

Yes, its an oddity - just checked and the numbers as given are correct.

I would imagine it's so people who chose melee don't just use knuckles/club/sword or which ever they choose. MA wants you to use a variety of weapons to skill up with - if they all generated the same skill increases, people would decide on dmg/cost/sec rather than the aesthetics of the weapon itself.

See... what happened was....

Ok.. I have

141 AIM
1893 Combat Reflexes
193 Inflict Ranged Damage
208 LGHT MELEE WEAPONS
440 MARKSMANSHIP
947 RIFLE
1499 WEAPONS HANDLING
456 DODGE
2475 ANATOMY
525 DIAGNOSIS
976 FIRST AID
305 BLP Weaponry Technology
1249 Laser Weaponry Technology

I was trying to balance out my skills according to your ratios as to which skills effect what professions... and I took 1475 Anatomy from my 2475 Anatomy with a chip.... my professions effected by Anatomy went down from:

Gauss (Dmg) Lvl 5 to 2
BLP (Dmg) Lvl 5 to 2
Laser (Dmg) Lvl 8 to 5
Plasma (Dmg) Lvl 5 to 2
Paramedic Lvl 8 to 6

So why would that be? I have 1249 LWT and did the math and figured I needed no more than 999.2 Anatomy to keep Para and the Dmg professions the same level. I'm a little confused. Please help?

Not sure what you were trying to do there Savek to be honest.

Anatomy contributes 13% to Paramedic, so by removing 1475 you lost 1475*0.13=191.75 to your profession standing, ie. 1.92 levels.

It contributes 20% to the (dmg) professions you listed so you lost 1475*0.20=295, ie. 2.95 levels.

I think maybe you've misunderstood how it works - each skill contributes cumulatively according to the skill level. So chipping anything out will reduce your profession standing by the amount you've chipped out multiplied by the % it contributes.

Not sure what you were trying to do there Savek to be honest.

Anatomy contributes 13% to Paramedic, so by removing 1475 you lost 1475*0.13=191.75 to your profession standing, ie. 1.92 levels.

It contributes 20% to the (dmg) professions you listed so you lost 1475*0.20=295, ie. 2.95 levels.

I think maybe you've misunderstood how it works - each skill contributes cumulatively according to the skill level. So chipping anything out will reduce your profession standing by the amount you've chipped out multiplied by the % it contributes.

The explanation of how to use this data is a little hidden amongst the rest of the text of the first post. Perhaps placing the explanation under a sub heading of "How to use this data" and adding an example like the one above will help prevent future misunderstandings. ;)

The explanation of how to use this data is a little hidden amongst the rest of the text of the first post. Perhaps placing the explanation under a sub heading of "How to use this data" and adding an example like the one above will help prevent future misunderstandings. ;)

Good idea thanks, done :)

I see... I thought if you had 1000 of a skill that is 25% of the Profession that you are looking at then you'd only need 50 skill in one that makes up 5% of the profession... but the way you are saying makes since too.

If I understand you correctly... if it took 100k skills (of differing %'s) to max out a profession then... you could get only 25k skills ONLY in the skill that is 25% of the profession and you'd be 25% of the way to the Max out of the profession.

Where I went wrong is I thought all the skills in the profession depended on one another and that if you had more than 25% in a 25% skill then only 25% of it would be used anyways... :D.

Let's see if I cleared up your understanding of what I was up to :laugh:

If I understand you correctly... if it took 100k skills (of differing %'s) to max out a profession then... you could get only 25k skills ONLY in the skill that is 25% of the profession and you'd be 25% of the way to the Max out of the profession.

Where I went wrong is I thought all the skills in the profession depended on one another and that if you had more than 25% in a 25% skill then only 25% of it would be used anyways... :D.

Yes, the skills are all independent of each other. Professions are affected by a combination of skills. But skills themselves are not affected by anything else.

One way to look at the percentages is that its the number of profession levels the skill would give you if you had 10000 in the skill. So LWT contributes 25% to the Ranged Laser (dmg) and if you had 10000 LWT it would be giving you 25 levels of Ranged Laser (dmg). In the past, skills above 10000 didn't count towards professions so in order to reach level 100 in a profession you had to have 10000 in all the skills that contribute to that profession. However, they changed it a while back and now skills count beyond 10000. So in theory you could have nothing other than 40000 LWT and that would give you level 100 in Ranged Laser (dmg).

This is really good stuff to know Jimmy... ty very much for the threat and the further explanation... I believe I got it now.

*Looks for the cheapest Markup skill to make Lvl 100 in all Professions*

This is really good stuff to know Jimmy... ty very much for the threat and the further explanation... I believe I got it now.

You're welcome. Like PsychoAl says, there's a tool by jedgre that does all the hard work for you (although its still worth knowing how it all works roughly) so that's worth checking out.

*Looks for the cheapest Markup skill to make Lvl 100 in all Professions*

haha, gl :D

I love this data I wrote spread sheets to calculate for me how many more point of any one skill I need for each new rank I gain in coloring or tailoring using this info and it work perfectly!

Thank you Jimmy!

I love this data I wrote spread sheets to calculate for me how many more point of any one skill I need for each new rank I gain in coloring or tailoring using this info and it work perfectly!

Thank you Jimmy!

You're welcome, & thanks for the feedback - nice to know it works well for those two professions as we only had limited data for some of the skills involved so I wasn't 100% confident of the numbers.

Just received some anonymous data for Scientist. It'll need a second data set in order to confirm the numbers but it looks like:

Animal Tamer: 2% (completing profession)
Pet Handler: 2% (leaving 2%)
Animal Investigator: 4% (leaving 1%)
Humanoid Investigator: 6% or 7% (six would leave 1%)
Robot Investigator: 3% (leaving 1%)
Mutant Investigator: 2% (leaving 1%)

I need to get another data set to be certain of those numbers. Also, currently inquiring as to whether any other professions such as Paramedic were affected.

If the numbers are correct then presumably there's another higher level unlock that contributes a rather puny 1% to the scanning professions. A little odd, but quite possible...

wow, thanks for all the info ill save this to my desktop.
it must have took you a realy long time. And for this i believe a lil reputation wouldnt go without a doubt!
thanks again

TOOTY

If the numbers are correct then presumably there's another higher level unlock that contributes a rather puny 1% to the scanning professions. A little odd, but quite possible...

Don't we know all unlocks from Leipzig GC by now?

My bets are on an underestimated attribute!

Last edited:
Back