• Just About as Exotic

Votes: 48 35.0%

• Total voters

Mogon

Provider
Society
NBK Elite
Mogon DESTROYER Manta
I have been playing EU since 2005, and I have always, even now, loved Entorpia Universe. Features come, features go, but one thing PE/EU had was the truley alien feeling of Calypso. However, to me it seems that Calypso has begun to lose its alien feeling, though im not sure if I'm simply getting used to its native beauty, or if its the changes in engine.

*Flashback Starts*

Back when I was a noob, I remember the sense of wonder I had when I first entered Port Atlantis. I found a friendly midlevel to help me out, and he ran me to my first ever TP (besides PA & NO), Camp Phoenix. The real thing that gave me the feeling of an alien world was the strange surralistic foliage and fauna, even the color of the ground was odd. I loved this feeling, and I remember my elation when I got my first weapon and hunted the native wildlife. Exploring such an alien world would keep me going for days, even weeks.

*Flashback Ends*

Todays Calypso, though, seems to feel to me a little more terrestrial. When I hunt nowadays, bigger and badder mobs, I get taken to many places on Calypso, many of the same TP's as in PE, but those same places seem much more earth like, a little too familiar. I know there is still alot of the foliage from PE, and all the same mobs, hell, even more. Theres just something that happened after they redid the planet, it seems to have less eyeball trees and and strange blue plants. Although there are places like these all over Calypso, the entire planet doesnt seem to be as alien. Another factor that PE had that made me feel Calypso was alien was the sky, at night, it truley feels like im on an alien world, but during the day, the sky looks much more familiar. PE had the odd colored sky and clouds, in the CE2, the clouds are beautiful, even dynamic, but the sky looks like a sunny day on earth to me now. The last but for me not least factor that for me detracts from the alien feeling is the missing music tracks from PE. After VU10, we still have the wonderful score of music from PreVU10 EU, but alot of the old PE songs have gone missing, the ones that made me feel alone when Im exploring on an alien world.

I dont know if they truley terraformed Calypso, or I have just become accustomed to its alien beauty, but it seems that Calypso simply isnt as alien as it once was. I have attached a poll to see what everyone else thinks, I do love EU now as always, Im just wondering if anyone else has noticed this.

dunno if the bubble turf west of oshiri, bordeau grounds around shinook or purple grounds around zeus look very terresteral
=)
Or do those places actually look normal and i need a better gfx card?))
Posted via Mobile Device

I know the feeling you mean.

But, they will probably say they recieved a shipment of earth tree's, to make it feel like home away from home :)
Some places are near enough the same, my fav hunting spot SE of Oshiri for example, but with less rocks getting in the way.

As to the old music, I 100% agree, and twice told Hanne ingame to ask for it back, and maybe some new tunes from him also. Thats 1 reason why I have all the old tunes playing in media player, have turned off the ingame now, as it's to repetative.

dunno if the bubble turf west of oshiri, bordeau grounds around shinook or purple grounds around zeus look very terresteral
=)
Or do those places actually look normal and i need a better gfx card?))
Posted via Mobile Device

Nope, thats why I love those places so much, Im just finding it harder to find places that look like that nowadays :(

Palm trees, ferns, cars that burn oil. The three top problems i have with the "feel".

Palm trees, ferns, cars that burn oil. The three top problems i have with the "feel".

In my opinion after VU10 EU lost some of its exitement.

Back in the days i would grab bombs, ammo and run into the wilderness not knowing what i would find. I dont know why, but i dont get the exitement off that anymore i used to.

Same here, I think its because the planet has more earth like trees and scenery, going into the wilderness I dont expect to find anything out of the ordinary anymore, and I never do :(

We need random curiosities sitting in the middle of nowhere back, and acid pools and stuff like that, they need to finishing re-implimenting PE in CE2 lol

And some blood effects and long distance lasers woudlnt hurt ;)

I always liked the quirky design of PE from the mobs to the planet to the avatars.

While I like the graphic updates that sense of uniqueness that PE once had is slowly being homogenized away. Even though some things in PE would be considered kind of ugly its what IMO made it more interesting.

Maybe we will see some of that design return once things get hammered out but I am not sure it seems like they really wanted to beautify everything when let's face it a fictional colony on another planet would be dirty, gritty, and raw. People would show that wear and tear as well as tools and equipment.

I can't help but compare colonies in the Firefly series and the one in the Aliens movie as to how things would be. Even Avatar seemed to have an edge and it was suprisingly clean.

MA and the planet partners need to step out of the "trying to make relatable to today" box and more into the "Holy F*#kin Sh@t anything can happen Sci Fi" box.

That's just my opinion though and I'm sticking to it. Lol

Posted via Mobile Device

I miss the purple skies all the way around Argus.

even I who started to play in EU not PE miss the old feelings of the world as it was, for the same reasons mentioned earlier :/

I miss the old ways. But at the moment I miss internet connection. Cant wait for the new line to be installed its been months now since I got in game.

Yeah, it might be that were simply getting used to this new world lol

There are plenty of exotic places, just depends on where you go...

I think there's a good mix of terraformed terrestrial landscape and surreal alien environments.

I have been playing EU since 2005, and I have always, even now, loved Entorpia Universe. Features come, features go, but one thing PE/EU had was the truley alien feeling of Calypso. However, to me it seems that Calypso has begun to lose its alien feeling, though im not sure if I'm simply getting used to its native beauty, or if its the changes in engine.

I can understand your thought because I feel a bit the same way.

but couldn't this because of the fact thay 5 years ago everything was new to you?
Now you are familiar with entropia. You're not as easily impressed anymore as you were when you were a noob. Hence I think you "feel" like it's less alien now.

just my 2 pecs...

:rolleyes:

Back