Question: Allocation of markup costs?

Hatten

Guardian
Society
Sons of Sweden
Erik Hatten Londre
So...I've been thinking a bit about the implications of markup. A lot of people complain about the lack of markup in most professions but what are the actual implications of an overall increase in markup?

The bottom line is that someone has to pay and it won't be Mindark. Should the costs be evenly distributed (in terms of nub->über) ? Wouldnt this cause a dramatic increase in costs for casual players or new players ?

Isnt increased markup just a sort of inflation ?

Anyway, the main perk is it adds complexity to the game but is it worth it ?

I still don't understand why people say there is no markup anymore ... i went mining the other day for something to do (never really mined much before...only level 6 in that) and all my finds had MU between 105-120%. Makes me consider actually becoming a miner.

I still don't understand why people say there is no markup anymore ... i went mining the other day for something to do (never really mined much before...only level 6 in that) and all my finds had MU between 105-120%. Makes me consider actually becoming a miner.

Mining is steeper than hunting. Has always been that you needed ~112-117% of mu mining to break even.

Mining is steeper than hunting. Has always been that you needed ~112-117% of mu mining to break even.

Well it was only a small run... 350ped in probes and repairs on the F-105 and R102. Made back 377 in ped from selling the ores/enmatter (didn't refine them), so that's a win to me....didn't global though and was disappointed in that as i spent 2 hours running around which i would have if i was hunting.

In saying that, i did die a few times from not watching where i was running and went straight into some mobs. Left the guns behind so as not to taint my run calculations so couldn't defend myself....so maybe spent 15mins on dying and running back to continue....maybe i would of got a global if that didn't happen (unlikely) !

@OP -

Yes and it will eventually burst when something else in the game gets changed or introduced...then people will complain there is no markup anymore instead of changing the way they play to suit the market and find markup.

Last edited:
It's funny. Those that sell say there is no markup. Those that buy say its too high... sellers ought to buy more...

So...I've been thinking a bit about the implications of markup. A lot of people complain about the lack of markup in most professions but what are the actual implications of an overall increase in markup?

The bottom line is that someone has to pay and it won't be Mindark. Should the costs be evenly distributed (in terms of nub->über) ? Wouldnt this cause a dramatic increase in costs for casual players or new players ?

Anyway, the main perk is it adds complexity to the game but is it worth it ?

So why have an RCE in the first place than? Just switch to monthly subscriptions and let everyone TT profit from doing everything.

With no markup the principle of an RCE games looses its purpose. With no markup everyone loses money. So it basically becomes a subscription type game.

Imo the only people who complain about a lack of markup are doing activities which everyone else is doing.

Yes, the moblists could be streamlined so that there isn't the same dropping from 100hp mobs as 6300 hp mobs (I shouldn't have to explain why this is generally bad but feel free to ask).

If you take a good look and a good think you'll find markup (and no, I don't mean every time you cycle 100ped it will be 110%).

So why have an RCE in the first place than? Just switch to monthly subscriptions and let everyone TT profit from doing everything.

With no markup the principle of an RCE games looses its purpose. With no markup everyone loses money. So it basically becomes a subscription type game.

There is markup now but it might not be as easy to find as during some periods in this game.

Personally I prefer the way it is right now, you have to keep your knowledge up to date and be flexible to change in order to find it.

I recall the period around 2010 being the worst, almost everything limited had MU and there were few or expensive UL options. The cost to play was a lot higher than today and the markup in loots wasn't evenly distributed.

But my main question is really directed towards those that complains about the current MU, which kind of system do you want? To me it seems like a poor idea to let casual players and newbs suffer the burden of increased MU and just a general increase across the entire game wouldnt really mean anything but a higher cost to play.

Back