An idea for a forum plugin to promote or demote post's info value - alternative to stickies

Pretto Loco

Dominant
Society
Freelancer
Pretto Loco Believingson
Many times when I visit various threads I become really impressed by some posters well spoken and valuable posts. But they soon disappear in a cloud of small comments, many times off topic. The thread becomes "dirty" and any really valuable posts will disappear. This also leads to people starting new threads with the same content (embedded somewhere in a large thread).

It is very rare that a thread becomes stickified, and if it does it is more or less an arbitrary choice from a moderator. Often done when the thread starter adds a first post with high info value from the beginning.

What if we as readers could promote (or demote) posts to be appended at the start of the thread. Like a Mini-Wiki of a thread. As posts with high info value. Then a new visitor can read the appended posts as a summary and an introduction to a thread which is really to long to read.

A reason to demote a thread if it has been appended at start is if the info is inaccurate for some reason or out of date.

An alternative to appending to first post could be a separate database entry for promoted posts.
And with a button you get a popup with the promoted posts and can quickly access the essence of a thread.

So three new buttons:
1. Show thread summary
2. Promote post to summary
3. Demote post from summary

How the algorithm should pick which posts to add has to be some sort of % of readers/posters or both and thread size. Settable in the plugins admin interface.

Just an idea. Just sad to see so many great posts disappear into oblivion.

I'd be willing to bet 100PED that such a function would be less used than it would be abused, sadly :dunno:

What I thought to if people would use it for personal agendas.
But I can't think why it should be the rule.
Of course some random people would like to promote friends posts and demote posts from posters they dont like. But hopefully an objective majority would overrule them.

Back