Australian News Article

Ah some Western Australian Paper coverage from GO3 Entertainment and Technology Expo Perth August 2009.
Deathifier was looming over MA 's John Bates... yes he's very tall.
It was a great expo and loads of local media coverage and some National coverage as well.

I'd be interested to know statistics of new players joining post this event David
Cheers

Deathifier will you marrie me :D

Nice artikel.

"We could not find the page you requested. This is either because:

There's an error in the address or link you have entered in your browser;
There's a technical issue and the page has not been properly published;
It is an older article that has been removed from the site.
If you believe that this is a technical error, please contact us and tell us the location of this page."

ok works now

lol I wish I owned TI....:rolleyes:

Thanks David for the link. ;)

I keep getting the error no matter what I do, but found it by searching for Deathifier. Also, searching for Entropia works

this is it

'Virtual spend making real moneyArticle from: PerthNowFont size: Decrease Increase Email article: Email Print article: Print Submit comment: Submit comment Linda Cann

August 02, 2008 05:00pm
SPENDING $26,500 on an imaginary island might sound outlandish, but it's paid off for computer gamer David Storey who now makes $300 a day from online game Entropia.

The 26-year-old Sydney student is promoting the "virtual world'' game at the GO3 Electronic and Entertainment Expo at the Perth Convention Centre.

His family and friends were initially sceptical when Mr Storey told them he had bought a virtual island with houses, hunting lands and a shopping centre which all existed only in cyberspace.

The investment paid off however as he made the money back within a year and expects to earn $150,000 annually from the game in a couple of years.

"It's fantastic. I just sit around and run my virtual island any time of the day or night,'' he said.

"I do it because it's fun, I make money from it and it's educational -- I've learnt a lot of things about strategising and risk management.''

Mr Storey, known as 'Deathifier' in the game, said spending about four hours playing online every day had made him more outgoing rather than more introverted.

"I used to be shy, but I can't be shy now because everyone knows me in Entropia and I've also done a lot of public relations for the game.''

Computer software company Mindark operates the "Entropia Universe'', which has a real cash economy based mainly on hunting, mining and manufacturing.

Mindark spokesman John Bates said there were 800,000 players registered worldwide and Entropia's economy was worth US$400million last year.

"The most expensive item sold so far was an asteroid with night clubs and shops -- it sold for US$100,000,'' he said.

"The most surprising thing we've seen is when we introduced make-up and players started creating facial scars to differentiate themselves.''

But just like in the real world, players could modify their appearance by paying for a different hair style or even plastic surgery. '

Well done MA and Deathifier getting more PR :)

lol @ Kimmis comment on the site :D

Deathifier rocks, thx for sharing David

:woot: for Deathy and :woot: for Perth!!!

Was a huge blast having you guys over here! :yay:

Hope you come back again next year!!! :D

article says nothing except raising wrong expectations with new players...

The Go3 expo had a huge amount of media interest. Deathifier did an awesome job and worked his ass off with the media for 3 days straight. It would be interesting to see if MA had figures showing any kind of spike in new Aussie players since the expo.

You need money to make money on that scale.
Not every Average Joe can buy such a thing.
I bet there cant be anything like this available now or in the future (and if it would be than it would cost 10x the amount he paid.

That's why it is known as treasure Island ... :rolleyes:

article says nothing except raising wrong expectations with new players...

It's actually pretty hard to get the media to focus just on the cool aspects of Entropia for everyday people.

Most of them just want to hear about the island, what I do, and what it makes, with a little info summarising Entropia on the side.

If I get the opportunity I do talk about what others can do, the great (and growing) social environment for Aussies, the freedom for an invididual to do what they want, and how you can get going and try things out with 50-100 PED.

Most of that doesn't actually make it into what the public sees though.

Bye,
Deathifier

Good going Deathifier :) Great to see an Aussie success story in EU :yay:
:wtg:

Cheers Firefly :cool:

This is old news - seen it before - nothing new here. Move on:scratch2:

Back