BBC News: Warp Drive Possible

That would be pretty awesome :cool: but...

What's more, the passage of time inside the warp bubble would be the same as that outside it. The crew would not suffer from Einstein's "time dilation" effect where time passes at different rates for people traveling at different speeds.

The time dilation effect means that anyone traveling to the stars at speeds approaching that of light would experience a journey of a few years. But when they came back to Earth they would find that thousands of years had passed and all their friends were long dead.

Wouldn't that just mean that the people traveling to the stars would just die thousands of years before they got there? Depending on how fast they were travel of course.

No, that would mean a 2 year trip for them would mean also only 2 years passed at their home world. :)

No, that would mean a 2 year trip for them would mean also only 2 years passed at their home world. :)

Yes, but even if you are traveling over light speed, a trip to other stars would take years, possibly thousands. If theres no time dilation they would live all those years and would die before they even got to their destination. Anyway, who would want to live on a spaceship for 2 years?:D

Yes, but even if you are traveling over light speed, a trip to other stars would take years, possibly thousands. If theres no time dilation they would live all those years and would die before they even got to their destination. Anyway, who would want to live on a spaceship for 2 years?:D

depends....if its big enough, i get internet (woah, internetting while wharping lol, just like internetting on planes...but at a higher speed ;) ), room for sports, educations etc. then ill take it

I'm guessing that this part of the article "There would be no limit to the velocity that a starship could attain." escaped you. Since all this is obviously in the theoretical stage still, we could theorize that a trip to other stars would only take minutes, so no reason to argue against it.

Regardless.. who would want to live on a spaceship for 2 years? *raises both hands* *pick me! pick me!* Yeah, to go to another world? You betcha.

Reminds me of :

When you look into a night sky you see the stars far away,
you're seeing them because of the light which travels from
them to you. Now it takes time for light to travel here, so
what you are doing is seeing the stars as they were in the
past, the amount of time it has taken for the light to reach
us and the further and further away those stars are, the
further back in time you are looking. Now you are seeing a
star that is say six thousand years ago, imagine somebody
on that star looking at us, they would be seeing us as we
were six thousand years ago. Which of those two is now?
So space and time are linked together. As we are looking
across space, we are looking back in time
-Prof. Frank Close

Taken from Alan Parsons "track" Temporalia.

Thanks Yirk, good stuff you seem to bring to the forum. I love this kinda of stuff, very intersting indeed. I'd go in a hearbeat I think, would be awesome, especially considering Earth might be no more in December 21st 2012, that is if you believe Mayan jibberish (google it if you question it). I find it fascinating that the ones traveling would only experience two years or so age time. Now we just need to work on teleporting, gas would not be needed all you save earth junkies work on it:)

Tried to give you + rep but wouldn't let me, keep the sci fi stuff coming I love it :)

ok, so you all seem to like similar topics, eh? =)

take a look at this one aswell.

J.

But with no limit to the speed these individuals could move (I.E., not limited to the speed of light). these trips that would take thousands of years at light speed could be done in a blink of an eye.

And as for your second question, NASA presently has a LONG waiting list of people who would LOVE to take a trip to MARS which is estimated at about 9 months. Just because it's not what you might want to do doesn't mean there isn't someone out there that wouldn't die for a chance.

That would be pretty awesome :cool: but...

Wouldn't that just mean that the people traveling to the stars would just die thousands of years before they got there? Depending on how fast they were travel of course.

you missed this part!

It was a fantastic idea. There would be no limit to the velocity that a starship could attain.

I guess if you can move at any speed, then you can get to anywhere very fast! so places that are hundreds of light years away.. might not be hundreds of light years away??

But at that crazy speed I hate to run into (hit into) some thing like a asstroid, planet, etc. because no one noticed it!

ok, one more riddle for you =)

according to theory of Mr. Einstein, everything that reaches speeds close to light experiences a completely different time. like it was explained, if a human travels some years at the speed of light, actual time passed would be thousands.

so my question is, what good does astronomy have to say if the photon particles even from closest stars that have traveled several years at the speed that they have and the actual time passed is thousands of years? kind of laggy information, eh? ;)

J.

ok, one more riddle for you =)

according to theory of Mr. Einstein, everything that reaches speeds close to light experiences a completely different time. like it was explained, if a human travels some years at the speed of light, actual time passed would be thousands.

so my question is, what good does astronomy have to say if the photon particles even from closest stars that have traveled several years at the speed that they have and the actual time passed is thousands of years? kind of laggy information, eh? ;)

J.

I don't get the riddle. The theory in question is a wholly different concept than FTL travel in which time dilation would take place as it would, essentially, exist outside the space/time continuum.. as was mentioned TARDIS.. it's bigger on the inside. ;)

Back