Question: Bidding on auctions on other planets

LeeLoo Faith

ColorManiac
Society
OldTimers
LeeLoo LeeLoo Faith
I am wondering why is it not possible to bid on other planets auctions?
I can see them - so why not bid?

When I put up an auction on planet A and fly to planet B before it is run out, I do receive the peds while on planet B. So it could also work the other way around.

when you have won the auction it would be cool to have two options:

1) go to the planet and collect the item there
2) pay a transfer fee (I know it is possible because this did exist before)

This could help while beeing on planets with lower auction activity when you need new gear.... like it is now I always have to fly back to caly in order to get new equipment and I would pay a small transfer fee to avoid leaving.

I totally agree....
It's silly to not be able to bid on "foreign" auctions, and it would be a great boost to the struggling economies if won (or expired) items could be retrieved remotely for a small fee (the fees that were in place when this feature existed was way too high though).

It's quite simple, I've said it before, I'll say it again. MA have a bigger investment in Calypso than other planets and therefore simply will not have a "shared" auction system between planets because they know they cannot keep players from leaving Calypso simply on merit alone.

Of course this won't be admitted, we'd be told that as it stands, it promotes space flight and other such nonsense. As if there'd be no space flight if auctions were synchronized... no one ever travel through space for an event, or to hunt a particular mob, after all.

So greed is the answer you're looking for, in some industries people are sued for unfair monopolisation of the market, but MA seem confident that despite telling planet partners they are not biased towards Calypso, they clearly are and are living off reputation without delivering the goods. A bit like Dell used to do in the old days when they were well known for having great after purchase reputation, then rested on their laurels and let it go to pewp.

but it would work both ways, so you could also get other planets items on Caly, I dont think it would be bad for Calypsos Economy.

In fact I think it could boost markup a bit, because demand of other planets could be filled by Caly Auctions too. I for example tried to craft but struggled to get ingredients, would have been nice to get some stuff from Caly just to go on.. but naaaah nothing available. In the end I just gave up and did not craft at all.

PS. and I really dont think ppl would leave for that (ie. I dont think you can make ppl stay on Caly just because of auction accessibility)

PPs. if its greed the transport fee would be so great to earn a lot of easy bucks

They stimulate you to travel more, 2/3 of my space trips are because of auction, not because I want to visit the planet itself.

Since Caly's auction is by far the biggest, most of the time it's Caly you have to visit to grab something from auction, and once you're on Caly you may as well stay for a while, or at least do several runs. If I'd put on my tinfoil hat, I could say it's MA way to lure you back to Caly every time you want to buy something :D

Happy to Travel

I am happy to travel to COLLECT ITEMS I WIN.

I am less happy to be forced to travel to bid and potentially lose.

I agree with OP: Bidding should be possible remotely (Christies and Lloyds can do telephone bidding for example) but collection can remain in person when I get around to the trip.

Cly

Mindark's pretty much held firm to their statements that space is 'important' and all of that, so the multi-auction system (which did used to exist) likely is never coming back. Some pirates have asked that non-lootable stuff be put in to auctions on multiple planets or that multi planet teleportation (which also used to exist) be reintroduced if avatar in question has zero lootable stuff on them since pirates don't like folks in space which have no lootables. I honestly don't know why Mindark haven't taken that idea seriously yet. Makes no sense to have space travelers wandering around in lootable space carrying non-lootable stuff... all that does is just give pirates frustrations, and gives non-pirates frustrations in how long it takes to move between planets.

In the 'story' we are supposed to be advancing in technology as we study the bots, etc. Makes no sense why the technology took a massive backstep by a few thousand years when the auction system for multiple planet access on all planets and interplanetary tp system that used to exist was nerfed in to non-existence. If we keep going with these type of technological advancements, maybe we'll all devolve in to gorillas with clubs instead of folks running around with laser weapons? (Think I may have been playing DC Universe too much lately, lol - long live Gorilla Grod)

They stimulate you to travel more, 2/3 of my space trips are because of auction, not because I want to visit the planet itself.

Since Caly's auction is by far the biggest, most of the time it's Caly you have to visit to grab something from auction, and once you're on Caly you may as well stay for a while, or at least do several runs. If I'd put on my tinfoil hat, I could say it's MA way to lure you back to Caly every time you want to buy something :D

so you travel out of necessity and not enjoyment? I very much doubt that was MA's original vision when it comes to space travel. If it is, that's a pretty twisted state of affairs, people should WANT to travel. I do for events or to try new things or hunt a certain chain of mobs. I also travel to Caly because of auction and I begrudge it more and more each time. I come to Caly to hunt the puny mobs for bones which is fun, I come to do the new missions for the dungeon, which although very long, were definitely fun, must say, REALLY enjoyed this, crossing back and forth across the "lava" on top of the volcano to head in the direction of the clues and then retrying the last one and ending up at the crystal area without another greenie in the screen. LOVED it. Killing new mobs to get solo global for my daft goal thing. Awesomes. Having to return purely for auction... definite fashion no no.

Edit: One thing I wanted to add, "Lure" and "Force" are 2 different things imo =p

Last edited:
I am happy to travel to COLLECT ITEMS I WIN.

I am less happy to be forced to travel to bid and potentially lose.

I agree with OP: Bidding should be possible remotely (Christies and Lloyds can do telephone bidding for example) but collection can remain in person when I get around to the trip.

Cly

the top post is spot on. I want to bid from other planets and wouldn't mind paying a small fee to get an item instateleported to me, but I wouldn't mind picking stuff up from another planet if I'd won it, having bid from another planet.

so you travel out of necessity and not enjoyment? I very much doubt that was MA's original vision when it comes to space travel. If it is, that's a pretty twisted state of affairs, people should WANT to travel.

I don't find it enjoyable to travel through space on a space ship. Its an annoying waste of my time. I would be interested in going to other planets to kill stuff if I could just hop there using a TP. As it is now, spending time in spaceships and all that, no thanks, there's plenty to do on Calypso. Working as intended I guess.

Back