BTDNA is bad! Remove!

Ren

Provider
Society
TAO-19
Renlar Ren Benos
If you used Mindarks Bittorrent DNA downloader app you might want to check to see if the btdna.exe process is still running.

Somehow btdna.exe was added to my startup list, not sure if it was by Mindark's downloader but I just want to make sure others know about this software.

here are a few links I found useful...read em for yourself

http://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-dna-vulnerable-to-remote-hijack-080103/

http://wefixedtheglitch.tumblr.com/post/22786974/extracting-the-bittorrent-dna

Edit: If you are still using Mindark's Bittorrent downloader you might want to wait to end process on btdna.exe....not sure if it will end your download

First Try to uninstall "DNA" Via Add & Remove Programs Thanks to Zorg for pointing out the easy uninstall

guide to remove btdna... Source : (http://www.exe-error-fixes.com/btdnaexe-lose/)

Last edited:
thanks
well have to make swure i get it off after the day its taking to download :D

Thanks for the info !

Reactions: Ren
you're welcome... EFD anyone? :D

God damn , why FPC guys are so stupid ? Is it even said in the agreements that it automatically installs a software on your computer ? If not, that is a spyware

the add & remove program function in XP works just fine :)

Ah Add & Remove, I should have thought of that.

The only things I noticed about btdna is that after I closed the Mindark downloader btdna.exe...which i thought was sneaky.

This morning i noticed it in my process list and discovered it added to my startup.

Add & remove method is much easier...I will edit my post...THANKS!

the BTDNA.exe was running on my pc. but I can't find it installed anywhere :p nor do i have it in any startup places, I tried the alternate download to see the dl speed there once and it was crappy so i went to normal DL.

may it be that those that take the alternate dl has it or anyone else that did normal DL has it gotten installed?

The fact that it is installed seems fair enough, as we were presented with confirmation window... the fact it was added to startup... that really really annoys me. FPC has no right to do that sort of thing without my permission.

I darn well hope we get some sort of explaination from them on this matter.

I expected better :(

Peatie.

The program btdna.exe is a part of the BitTorrent client, which also gets installed if you install a BitTorrent client yourself. It could be that MA is not even aware of this.

I think it's a background program used if you want to keep sharing/seeding files without having the BitTorrent client running.

It's not needed for BitTorrent to work, though, and it's annoying that it's there in the first place!

If you used Mindarks Bittorrent DNA downloader app you might want to check to see if the btdna.exe process is still running.

Somehow btdna.exe was added to my startup list, not sure if it was by Mindark's downloader but I just want to make sure others know about this software.

here are a few links I found useful...read em for yourself

http://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-dna-vulnerable-to-remote-hijack-080103/

http://wefixedtheglitch.tumblr.com/post/22786974/extracting-the-bittorrent-dna

Edit: If you are still using Mindark's Bittorrent downloader you might want to wait to end process on btdna.exe....not sure if it will end your download

First Try to uninstall "DNA" Via Add & Remove Programs Thanks to Zorg for pointing out the easy uninstall

guide to remove btdna... Source : (http://www.exe-error-fixes.com/btdnaexe-lose/)

I concur, have known for a while now that DNA seems to want to run all the time.. thus keeping leechers connected to your PC, this is why i avoided using MA's so called torrent option for the last VU.
bittorrent on it's own is fine.. as said above ..DNA is not needed for BT.

DNA IS EVIL !

Just remove it in the run section from registry:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Currrentversion\Run

where the btdna.exe is listed

Nice one guys :thumbup: Mine was still present in the task manager 48 hours later. Did the "Remove".

Ok, DNA messed with my internetspeed as it was still present in the taskmanager. :mad:

I kicked it of my HDD now and everything is okay now.

I still get this f*cking "Yes/No" message, which seems to be the "Want to use torrent ?" thing. But I cant tell BECAUSE it is empty !!!! :mad:

[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

Now I choose "No" (Nein) and it starts to update...but it doesnt. "An error appeared"

And I still have this Update_10.3.0.0-10.3.0.35944 (2.9GB) file in my desktop. Do I have to install it manually ? Is it already installed ? Maybe thats why the error comes up ?

I dont want to download it again !

Merry xmas ! :) :mad:

As I said in another post, I did try the DNA plugin when CP became available.
I had serious issues with the connection speed, so serious that I thought my ethernet card was malfunctioning.
In fact it was the DNA plugin, it was trying to bypass the router rules (UPnP and it generated some sort of flood on the ports it was trying to open via UPnP, with several requests per second coming from nowhere. I know, of course, that this is how peer-to-peer protocols work, except the zillion attempts to connect to an unopened port, which is flood and DoS attempt IMO).
I just removed it from browsers add-on management options, via Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel and also I unchecked it from startup options. It didnt come back yet.
I agree with OP, just avoid it.

just did a search for that btdna.exe file and found this:
BTDNA.EXE-19B6C782.pf
size: 16.6kb
folder: C:\Windows\prefetch

thats all I found and I had bittorrent intalled before this update but changed to utorrent after reading all this about bittorrent and dna, so everything should have been clean.
did a google search for the file but didn't get too much out of that, got only 4hits and one was from bittorrent itself and one was a zipfile (containing the file I suspect) and then some german forumsite I didn't get what it was really about. (had something to do with malware I think)

anyone who could enlighten me about what it is?

The fact that it is installed seems fair enough, as we were presented with confirmation window... the fact it was added to startup... that really really annoys me. FPC has no right to do that sort of thing without my permission.

I darn well hope we get some sort of explaination from them on this matter.

I expected better :(

Peatie.

are you new to this game?.. dont worry , your expectations will lower the longer you stay ;)

Proposing to DL the huge client by torrent rather than on their website was a good improvement (even if it was requested by players in first place).

But adding a resident program that leaves some ports open is not exactly a good idea. Nowhere it was written that such program will be running in background, eating my CPU, RAM and internet connection! :(

just did a search for that btdna.exe file and found this:
BTDNA.EXE-19B6C782.pf
size: 16.6kb
folder: C:\Windows\prefetch

anyone who could enlighten me about what it is?

Don't worry about it, it'll be to do with the windows prefetcher. It is just windows trying to speed up your boot time.

P.

A side effect of DNA - I recommed you take some action to resolve.

You will find that DNA leaves behind an explorer extension even when uninstalled. This caused my Vista explorer to crash repeatedly.

I disabled CmdLineExt.dll, then all the weird stuff happening when I tried to launch some programs and use the windows shell 'Explorer' were resolved. This resides in Drive:\Windows\system32\
I used ShellExView and regedit.exe to resolve

Details:
Extension Name CmdLineContextMenu Class
Disabled Yes
Type Context Menu
Description SecuROM context menu for Explorer.
Version 1,1,224,0
Product Name
Company Sony DADC Austria AG.
My Computer No
Desktop No
Control Panel No
My Network Places No
Entire Network No
Remote Computer No
Filename F:\Windows\system32\CmdLineExt.dll
CLSID {F0407C3D-349C-42B9-B83E-821E31623DF9}
File Created Time 40135.62323
CLSID Modified Time 40135.62323
Microsoft No
File Extensions .exe, exefile
File Attributes A
File Size 107888

Hope this helps, Regards Arto

OMG, tnx

I DID NOT download files via p2p nor checked any box allowing DNA to run on my laptop (laptop with win Vista32) but when updating to newest version of EU, my laptop completely crashed several times and appareantly it installed DNA automatically without me allowing it to do so!!! Since I am very aware of these things, I noticed this and directly removed all DNA-related files and apps. With the info provided by your post, I searched my laptop and (fortunately) I seem to have had already removed all files related in this DNA process, so no probs about that here!
On my desktop which runs XP, I had no problems/files relating to DNA at all, so there is no problem with that.
However, thanks to the processes described in your post to remove the DNA software, I found another worm that was REALLY affecting my laptop's system performance that I was not aware of at all!! (I use Internet everywere by Mobistar Belgium which is affiliated to France Telecom, they use similar shit appareantly)
Removed it and now my (new) laptop runs again like it's supposed to do!!! :yay:

Thumbs up! +REP 4 U M8!

PS: I'm happy playing the game, but seriously, a company like MA, pretending to be the world's leaders in MMORPG with RCE using this kind of CRAP for their DL ... ??? Hmmm ...

Thank you :)
DNA is gone and bandwidth is available again :silly2:

Back