Calypso Vehicle Concept by Arokh

At a glance it seems you've put more effort in to a vehicle than MA has ;)

It looks awesome and well thought-out. +rep

Hmmmm....there's a contest in there ;)

~Cough cough~ Marco? Hanne? :D

Design a vehicle......

and so far this has my vote! :D
That would be a fun thing to have, a design contest for all kinds of
vehicles. :)

Btw Arokh, what software do you use?

Thanks y'all! Seems to have gone down well ^_^

Got some time now, and since it was requested, will see if I can make a start on an aircraft of some sort. No guarantees when it'll be done though. ;)

Btw, can't you render it with a backplate using a screen from EU/PC?

Yeah, was actually considering building an entire scene around it, and then also making a HDR map for the model from a screenshot of EU. Think it would have brought it to life a bit more, since proper surroundings would be reflected. Or instead of a scene, do it like you said. Although instead of a backplate I'd put the vehicle in the middle of a vertical tube, texturing the inside of the tube with the screenshot, so it's wrapped all the way around the model.

Ahhh.... the lazy grey box background. :laugh:

Btw Arokh, what software do you use?

I'm using 3DS Max 2010, and rendering with the Mental Ray renderer.

I can get the free copy of Maya PLE would that be able to produce something like this and do you have any links or resources on how to use it?

Is that hard to learn for a noob ?

I can get the free copy of Maya PLE would that be able to produce something like this and do you have any links or resources on how to use it?

Is that hard to learn for a noob ?

I think for Maya, a good site is: http://www.learning-maya.com/ which is essentially a collection of tutorials for it.

It's not hard to learn I don't think, so long as you take it in small steps first and have the patience for it. Think it's easy to get lost and frustrated if you try to do everything to start with! Best way I'd say is learn the basics in steps - such as how to make a box (or a simple room) and edit it, then how to texture it, finally lighting. Once you've got those principles sorted, it's really a matter of playing around with it and seeing what settings do what.

Thanks y'all! Seems to have gone down well ^_^

Got some time now, and since it was requested, will see if I can make a start on an aircraft of some sort. No guarantees when it'll be done though. ;)

Yeah, was actually considering building an entire scene around it, and then also making a HDR map for the model from a screenshot of EU. Think it would have brought it to life a bit more, since proper surroundings would be reflected. Or instead of a scene, do it like you said. Although instead of a backplate I'd put the vehicle in the middle of a vertical tube, texturing the inside of the tube with the screenshot, so it's wrapped all the way around the model.

Ahhh.... the lazy grey box background. :laugh:

Ah nice. :) Shall be interesting to see what type of aircraft you gonna
create. :)

I'm to lazy to do anything with 3D atm. :D
I use modo401, and when I render with EU background/enviroment, I just
use the screen as backplate and also as enviroment, and then a plane as
a shadow-catcher.
A complete scene had been way more fun, but, as I said, I'm to lazy atm. :D

Very nice work there indeed. Ive just got CINEMA 4D as my first ever such tool earlier this week. Seems so hard to learn lol, buit the results can be soooo satisfying :D

Last edited:
I want one!

Nice work.. But I have to say I think they look a bit fake. I like the vehicles to look like actual vehicles not some wild sci-fi flick...

Nice work though

Back