Info: China bans the

those 2 are of the most important game aspects entropia has....and swede law also prohibits strongboxes buying....aslong the european unions makes it a generell law....we are on the safe side (for now).
The day all is forbidden....thats the day of the down spiral (hope it never comes)

Eddie

I think Mindark should plan for the worse here. If China goes ahead with this EU will soon follow.
We cant have random loot in strongboxes. (You need to know what you get when opening a box at all times)
No more dailiy missions :D

Perhaps the new season rings drops in loot instead.

those 2 are of the most important game aspects entropia has....and swede law also prohibits strongboxes buying....aslong the european unions makes it a generell law....we are on the safe side (for now).
The day all is forbidden....thats the day of the down spiral (hope it never comes)

Eddie
I would argue they are two of the least important. In light of keys being gated behind an external paywall, the mechanic could be seen as a conceptually problematic cash grab which fails to respect the much more foundational principle of each Entropian having the right to structure their own time-investment/monetary-investment trade-offs in executing their strategies and striving for their goals. An honest supply of key blueprints might help reduce this concern, but MindArk seems to have abandoned them altogether. The mission thing would require a much longer explanation, but it can be observed that Entropia existed and thrived over many years before either boxes or missions. Entropians are not, as a matter of essence, so myopic and mired in fixed-mindsets that they fail to engage with the universe absent a perpetual stream of instant gratification. Rather, the perpetual streams of instant gratification arising from a few structural issues in modern Entropia constitute circumstances in which Entropians sometimes fail to engage with the more important, long-term aspects of the Entropia experience which are enjoyed by means of innovation and growth-mindset.

With that said, I (of course?) don't support laws restricting game design space, even when they lead to better game design.

Yep, just dont go to china, wait for our own european and american trouble, will get even funnier.

its amazing to me how the strongboxes in this game can/could be banned by any country... 1usd for 1usd in game...its a depo with the opportunity to get mu...

Do we have chinese players at all or does their great firewall not already, er, protect them from this form of western decadence? Given the country's size, we should notice their presence but I don't see any from the mainland.

its amazing to me how the strongboxes in this game can/could be banned by any country... 1usd for 1usd in game...its a depo with the opportunity to get mu...
Its simple.
One strongbox = 10PED.
One strongbox MAY contain items valued MORE than 10PED, then making it into a form of gamble sence you cant predict what items you get. Its a game of chance and thats what the future laws are aiming for and im saying Mindark should prepare, sence its a core part of the game.

You even say it yourself, you have an oppertunity to earn more. Just the same as a gambling site would offer.

here is definition:
take risky action in the hope of a desired result

idk if strongboxxes count as gambling.. its more of an exchange, you pay 1$, and you get 1$ in a diffrent form, there is a random element to it, but becouse there is no money lost, i wouldnt call it necesaraly gambling

there was a game, which made a workaround, in the way of, making the loot of the next box you will open visible, but the box after that one invisible

If there was a chance you open a box and get no loot, then it could have been considered as gambling...
But as it is, you always get 10 PED loot minimum, so it's not...

What you do with the 10 PED after... that's another discussion :)

If there was a chance you open a box and get no loot, then it could have been considered as gambling...
But as it is, you always get 10 PED loot minimum, so it's not...

What you do with the 10 PED after... that's another discussion :)

yes thats exactly one of the points....tell that the swedish goverment for example...they banned box buying in sweden bec they throow all boy buyings form all games into the same pot...

and if the eu thinks the same one day......well thats it then :-(((

Calculating by TT and not by markup is something that MindArk claims to do with loot, too.

So when you open a box with a key that you bought for 1 USD, you get something that's worth 10 PED. If you find someone who wants to pay like 15k PED for that thing, that's the markup. This is easier for things like rings, but you can of course also try to sell fireworks and whatnot for 15k.

It really depends on how you stretch/interpret the law and how you define things and represent the inner workings of the game.

yes thats exactly one of the points....tell that the swedish goverment for example...they banned box buying in sweden bec they throow all boy buyings form all games into the same pot...

and if the eu thinks the same one day......well thats it then :-(((
how does Swedish players loot rings then ? Same way rest of EU would :)

Its simple.
One strongbox = 10PED.
One strongbox MAY contain items valued MORE than 10PED, then making it into a form of gamble sence you cant predict what items you get. Its a game of chance and thats what the future laws are aiming for and im saying Mindark should prepare, sence its a core part of the game.

You even say it yourself, you have an oppertunity to earn more. Just the same as a gambling site would offer.
gambling means theres risk...not only that u have a chance for more...
This means if u open the chest u have a chance to loot only 5ped... which is risk then yes its turns to gambling but, at the very least u get ur 10ped...which means no risk...

Even though you get 10ped of value from every box, it’s Universal ammo that needs to first be spent into the system and incur a rake. Still considered gambling.

I wonder if it would make any difference legally if they instead replaced the UA reward with tradable ammo. MA would take a hit financially from less engagement with the loot system but might it might be worth it if this ban becomes more widespread.

Maybe they could recoup their losses in other ways. Fees etc.

I wonder if it would make any difference legally if they instead replaced the UA reward with tradable ammo. MA would take a hit financially from less engagement with the loot system
This isn't even a given, in the long-run. The assumption here seems to be that MindArk's revenue can be expressed as a sum of independent "to cycle or not to cycle" decisions over all players and time, but such decisions are actually highly dependent over both dimensions. If a player deposits into tradeable ammo and buys an item instead of cycling it, there is a nonzero (probably pretty high) chance the item seller (or some other player after it further trades hands) will cycle it instead. Players also have budgetary constraints; if a player cycles now because they can't sell their ammo, they may cut back on their cycling later to compensate.

My guess is that planet partners are much more desperate than MA to manufacture myopia and urgency in players' cycling habits, since ammo on their planet not cycled now may be cycled elsewhere later.

Gmabling was a bad word. The law aim to remove incentives to deposit or buy ingame coins and whatever to open stuff to potential loot something of greater value.
No matter if its a ring in entropia or its a soccer card in a fotball game. Its the lure of players to deopsit or put in cash in games that is aimed for in the new law.

This is ofcourse China, but latley EU looks to China sence EU wants more control and power. So go figure... Perhaps we get a similar law in two years.

Back