FYI: Client loader and internet explorer

Wolverine Queen

Stalker
Society
Supremacy Reign
Anna Wolverine Queen
I dont know if im the only one but this has bothered me so I sent a support case (posted below) about it and hopefully it will be changed.

Heya! :)

This is not a bug report, just a suggestion. It's not a big issue but it has been bugging me for some time:

When im in the client loader reading some news from you, and there is a link, opening the link opens the window in Internet Explorer, but my default browser is Firefox. I dont update my internet explorer so it's not as smooth to use, so it would be far better if the links would open in default browser (firefox for me).

I dont know much about programming, but it seems to me that the client loader is programmed to open the links in Internet Explorer instead of the default browser selected by user.

It's nothing urgent but a little thing that would make using client loader smoother, and wouldnt probably take much time to change

-------------------------------------

Hi,

Thank you for your suggestion, I have forwarded it to the team in charge.

Have a nice day!

Kind regards,

Gabriella | Planet Calypso Support

Am i the only one who has noticed this?

I dont know if im the only one but this has bothered me so I sent a support case (posted below) about it and hopefully it will be changed.

Noticed it too, sucks they cant open in our standard browser!:(

Same here! I hate that. I will NEVER again use IE! So...links that open that instead of my default browser (FF) will not be looked at or acknowledged.

:headbang:Peace!:headbang:

I think they are working on it since 2008 or so. Can't remember exact date when support case was filed, but I remember the answer not having the word "dynamic" in it. However I think it stated "follow the vu descriptions to see the change" or something like that which translated just means "thanks for pointing it out, but don't bother us again with it".

Same here! I hate that. I will NEVER again use IE! So...links that open that instead of my default browser (FF) will not be looked at or acknowledged.

:headbang:Peace!:headbang:

Fun to see u hate IE so much, the fact is that you actually use IE in the client loader, or to be more exact, u use embedded IE functionality. When you create windows software using Visual Studio you get a pallete of functions from the Windows OS (or more exact the .net library). Client loader is actually a small web browser, a scaled down IE with a few new buttons.

So it's totally natural that a new window opens in the same browser as you are using(IE):)

Now when you know how it works, you have to close your eyes everytime you try to start EU. :)

Fun to see u hate IE so much, the fact is that you actually use IE in the client loader, or to be more exact, u use embedded IE functionality. When you create windows software using Visual Studio you get a pallete of functions from the Windows OS (or more exact the .net library). Client loader is actually a small web browser, a scaled down IE with a few new buttons.

So it's totally natural that a new window opens in the same browser as you are using(IE):)

Now when you know how it works, you have to close your eyes everytime you try to start EU. :)
LoL. Doesn't the EULA say you are not suppossed to use third party software or something? Wonder if MA considers IE or Firefox a third party?

LoL. Doesn't the EULA say you are not suppossed to use third party software or something? Wonder if MA considers IE or Firefox a third party?

And a EULA (= End User License Agreement) passage about third party software would apply to the developer exactly how? :laugh:

Yes, the Client Loader uses the same libraries as MS IE for HTML rendering. And those suck a bit when it comes to customisation.

One solution is to intercept the navigation event, cancel it and redirect it to an OS execute for the systems default browser. In example like here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Fo.../thread/aa5364ca-2145-4664-803b-18f256be5270/ (in case a MA dev bothers to read here).

Had done that for several projects, kinda a dirty solution for the problem tho (scripts, HTML target parameter set..).

Maybe someone in the community has a better solution?

Back