Help: Client takes all RAM available

LeenaLynx

Dominant
Society
_Oz_
Leena Lynx McFerlon
Hi all.

I've noticed that last couple of weeks I have constant message ingame "Low memory".
I play in windowed mode with meduim graphics settings.
Rig is: Core i7 2500k, 16Gb RAM, GTX 660.

After some investigations and tests i realised that the client starts with 1,5Gb memory consumed and starting to grow until ALL available memory consumed after that displays the "Low memory..." message ingame.
Biggest was 12Gb...

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

It sounds like your ram is not refreshing. It is unlikely to be entropia's fault however, aside from it using ram. Does this happen with other graphically intensive games that you play?

Is this a "new" pc? or did you recently upgrade with a new motherboard or ram? Have you recently installed any new software?

Take a look at your windows system information, go to start and search for system information, look towards the bottom and make sure you are recognizing the full 16gb of ram.

When this problem is occurring hit ctrl+shift+esc and see what processes are using all of your ram. If it really is only entropia, try running the repair tool from the client loader. If that doesn't help, do a fresh re-install.

If the ram usage is from any other non-system or non-critical program, uninstall it. Actually, go ahead and uninstall every program that you don't regularly use. Also, get rid of whatever virus program you are using, and install bitdefender (https://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html).

You can also try putting the ram sticks in a different configuration, if that doesn't help try this program: http://www.fcleaner.com/ramrush.htm

Also, of course, before moving onto EACH next step do a full PC reboot.

If none of that works, i would try putting in different ram sticks as those could be the cause. This is a last resort, if no dice there then you can try a fresh reinstall of windows. If the different ram and a fresh windows reinstall doesn't fix it, its definitely a hardware issue, probably your motherboard.

Last edited:
i had this memory leak in the past but only on Cyrene, it would raise up and up until over 10gb was taken, at that point Windows 10 would jump in and control the RAM usage, it would slowly drop again and repeat. i never got the memory message but opening inventory would cause a 2-3 second freeze while it recached.

I reported it to support and Team Cyrene and left the planet, when i returned later it hasn't happened again

my Cyrene post
since the update that altered the inventory icons I have issues on cyrene, while anywhere on planet my memory usage raises to 97% usage (I have 16gb ram) and then performance suffers, doing something different like inventory reloads or spawning vehicle causes a fps drop to 0-3. this never happens off cyrene

in an attempt to counter this I dropped the settings to medium but no real change. My gpu is near idle at this time, 1gb GPU mem used and about 10-20% gpu usage

EDIT: come to think of it, around that time i had Harddisk issues that my Virtual Memory was set to use, it would slow right down and sometimes fail to appear in Windows. That has since been replaced with a 2nd SSD

Last edited:
It sounds like your ram is not refreshing. It is unlikely to be entropia's fault however, aside from it using ram. Does this happen with other graphically intensive games that you play?

Is this a "new" pc? or did you recently upgrade with a new motherboard or ram? Have you recently installed any new software?

Take a look at your windows system information, go to start and search for system information, look towards the bottom and make sure you are recognizing the full 16gb of ram.

When this problem is occurring hit ctrl+shift+esc and see what processes are using all of your ram. If it really is only entropia, try running the repair tool from the client loader. If that doesn't help, do a fresh re-install.

If the ram usage is from any other non-system or non-critical program, uninstall it. Actually, go ahead and uninstall every program that you don't regularly use. Also, get rid of whatever virus program you are using, and install bitdefender (https://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html).

You can also try putting the ram sticks in a different configuration, if that doesn't help try this program: http://www.fcleaner.com/ramrush.htm

Also, of course, before moving onto the next step do a full PC reboot.

If none of that works, i would try putting in different ram sticks as those could be the cause. This is a last resort, if no dice there then you can try a fresh reinstall of windows. If the different ram and a fresh windows reinstall doesn't fix it, its definitely a hardware issue, probably your motherboard.

Thank you for your suggestions. It's an old PC and nothing was recently changed/upgraded. And yes, that's the Client who eats all RAM )

Though I'll try repair client installations. Hope it would help.

i had this memory leak in the past but only on Cyrene, it would raise up and up until over 10gb was taken, at that point Windows 10 would jump in and control the RAM usage, it would slowly drop again and repeat. i never got the memory message but opening inventory would cause a 2-3 second freeze while it recached.

I reported it to support and Team Cyrene and left the planet, when i returned later it hasn't happened again

my Cyrene post

EDIT: come to think of it, around that time i had Harddisk issues that my Virtual Memory was set to use, it would slow right down and sometimes fail to appear in Windows. That has since been replaced with a 2nd SSD

Yeah, I forgot to mention that i'm mostly at RT so it could be planet issue... And i have SSD.

All my problems was solved when i installed Windows 10.

Did you try the 32bits client?

That may help.

Hello ,

first of all i have to say..that i never ever heard about such an issue/error in my whole it-working environment...

what an error..wow...

since i can only assume/suggest...i give only some shots in the "blue"

sounds really like an Hardware issue....to be sure to get the right direction...

1., install another game and try it....is there also the ram size increasing until the pc gives up?

1a, check windows event viewer...are there any warings/error messages?

if you had "bluescreens " you can look at the messages and you might get a direction where the issue relies

2., which windows version do you use ? you said you have an old pc..but your hw-config doenst look sooo old..

-->did you upgrade your hardware but stayed with the old win version/drivers etc?

e.g. old win version but not updated the ssd firmware /bios,settings.....etc??

e.g. in the past 32 bit os caused memory leaks/errors with entropia--

-->those were only examples..but you get the hint

3., do a hw check with like...memtest86 (which is also on a knoppix.org bootable stick/dvd)
mobo /cpu check with tools like sisoft sandra (dont know any actual good one)

Eddie

Back