Distance Charts

Rayne Jade

Marauder
Society
GloryHound Irregulars
Rayne Jade Blackmoore
We shall see how useful these are to the population...

[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

These are the same style distance charts you would find in the back of your Rand McNally Road Atlas (or for you Europeans, Michilin).

If anyone is interested, this is how I did it:

I am very familier with most of the common map projections used in cartography. I am in the military now, so I chose what I use the most - Military Grid Reference System (MGRS). While the programming for the world of EU may be complex, the map is not. I took the gamble and assumed that Calypso is round, but the coordinates of the TPs were simply Easting and Northing without any relation to the natural spherical shape of a planet. I used my handheld GPS and chose a 100,000 meter grid square along the equator that would have no value for declination. In this case I used:

21N UA (In case anyone wishes to try this for themselves)

Then it was just a matter of entering in all the known TPs as waypoints. I then could show distance and bearing between any two waypoints and viola! I tested the GPS calculations using the old standby, Pythagorian:

Distance = the square root of (change in Easting squared) + (change in Northing squared).

It seemed to be dead on accurate so I went with it. Not exactly sure what these measurements can be used for, but here they are and I hope they help someone out there!

Good luck all

Last edited:
Nice work. Good to see army training being used in for the good of the community rofl

Mind you with TP chips not many ppl are going to do the old EU run,

Still nice work all the same

+ Rep

Last edited:
Nice work. Good to see army training being used in for the good of the community rofl

Mind you with TP chips not many ppl are going to do the old EU run,

Still nice work all the same

Very true Dave. I know I am dependant on my TP chip. But, I can tell you with some degree of accuracy how many hops it will take now :laugh:

Also, when noobs are running the TPs they can have an idea of how long each leg of the journey will take.

Smashing job there Jade, nice one :).

Mind you, I have absolutely no idea what on earth you are rattling on about :laugh:

JC

Reactions: dj.
I tested the GPS calculations using the old standby, Pythagorian:

Distance = the square root of (change in Easting squared) x (change in Northing squared).

Uhm... Pythagoras came up with the formula a² + b² = c². But I guess your 'x' is just a typo?

Mind you, I have absolutely no idea what on earth you are rattling on about :laugh:

JC

U can count me in on that too :D

Uhm... Pythagoras came up with the formula a² + b² = c². But I guess your 'x' is just a typo?

Correct.. typos happen. OP corrected and thx

JC

:lolup:

Spoken like a true Brit :laugh:

running or tping. it's still good to see this chart :)

+rep for the good work

JC

U can count me in on that too :D

:lolup:

Spoken like a true Brit :laugh:

OK... when you press "P" for position there are 3 numbers:

Easting, Northing, Elevation

All distance measurements start from 0, 0. That is the southwest corner of the map. Try it, you will see. The first number, the Easting is simply just the number of meters east you are from the edge or 0. The second number, the Northing, is simply the number of meters north you are from the lower edge, or 0. You can see the relation by mousing over the map ingame and moving the cursor east/west or north/south. This shows that if you are running east or west ingame, and press "P" repeatedly the only number that changes is the first one. If you are running north or south ingame the only number that changes is the second one.

By picturing this relation as two sides of a triangle you can see how the calculation is made. The measurement for east is the horizontal line and the measurement for north is the verticle line. Finish the triangle and that is your route.

Hopes this helps... but then again you may not care... :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: dj.
Could this not also be done by???

Very nice charts!

Could this also have been done by taking the lat and long from position at each tp? Was the GPS actually necessary? I think somewhere the lat and long is actually described as being in meters from some 0,0 point.

Do we have any authoritative info as to what the units of lat and long in EU are?

( or did I completely miss something somewhere? )

Art.

Since I have been doing TP runs recently with new players, I think this will come in very handy. Often they ask how far it is and how long it will take, and none have TP chips. With this information, more accurate answers can be given to them. Thanks.

+ Rep

Very nice charts!

Could this also have been done by taking the lat and long from position at each tp? Was the GPS actually necessary?

That is axactly what this does. Distance from each know TP to every other known TP. The start point for each distance is the TP. I used the GPS only because if you go from Twin Peaks to Fort Troy you get a negative number for northing... must use absolute value (the difference without regard to + or -) I tried a few formulas in Excel but I get tired of that quickly :laugh: Could not make it work.

I think somewhere the lat and long is actually described as being in meters from some 0,0 point.

Do we have any authoritative info as to what the units of lat and long in EU are?

( or did I completely miss something somewhere? )

Art.

I assumed a few things, but they were safe assumptions. For example, when mining the distance to the claim is expressed in meters so it stands to reason that units of measure in EU are meters.

Cool stuff!

There may be some actual difference is Calypso isn't the same size as Earth, or even flat.

Until some Swede invents Tape Measure (L), this is the most authoratative data on the subject.

Should Calypso prove to be flat, A^2+B^2=C^2 will work, but if it's a different sperical size.. umm.. my brain hurts!

Nicely done!

AG

Re: Spherical unit coordinates.

The islands of eudoria and calypso are so incredibly small, the Calypsoan-curvature would not have a huge impact on the distances calculated. If you want to get an exact-exact figures, you will find the difference is minimal (and the calcs become horrendous). Could post them if people are that interested (tensor mechanics, anyone?)

Nicely done RayneJade ;)

+ rep to you for this, very useful and a small donation to boot :yay:

PS. Yes units in EU are all in metres, all estates are also measured in metres along with shop areas, etc etc. Map co-ords are in metres as well as per Km range noted on TP chips as to how far you will travel.

Last edited:
Well done.

These will definitely come in handy for those doing TP runs, if only for a reference on how long, time wise, the runs will take.

Will get back to you on the rep, it seems. ;)

Thanks loads for the +reps and the donation! I certainly did not expect that! :yay:

I certainly do hope your guys can find the charts useful!

Good luck to all

Thats a great thing what u did here. Gratz.
It puch on a point were i have some questions.
In mining or drilling, u can see the range of the finder. How to evaluate if u are in or out the range ?
I can be a suggestion for MA to insert a meter counter ingame, like a little window who popup when u drop a bomb or a prob.
Ok it is not realy usefull but it can be. I dunno.

Regards,

The shortest line between 2 points is through the mobs!

Although in reality you often run much further as you run around the packs of mobs which seem to be on the shortest path!

Art

I updated the Eudoria Distance Chart, and it is in the first post. Amethera is coming soon... This seems to be of particular interest know since MF is turned off.

Happy running :thumbup:

I updated the Eudoria Distance Chart, and it is in the first post. Amethera is coming soon... This seems to be of particular interest know since MF is turned off.

Happy running :thumbup:

Amethera Distance Chart added to the first post.

Back