Earth Hour 2008 is 3/29/2008 @ 8pm

BrianMik

Alpha
Society
Pyrates of Calypso
PeaceKeeper Sarge Sergeant
Note: I am not trying to start a politcal debate on this topic. I am only seeking to bring this event to your attention so lets please keep this thread on the topic of Earth Hour 2008.

Earth Hour started last year in Sydney, Australia, when more than 2 million people and thousands of businesses turned out their lights. Power consumption dropped more than 10 percent in that single hour; the message that climate change must be slowed shone brightly.

Already this year, 25 cities in seven countries have joined World Wildlife Fund as official partners. In the United States, Chicago has joined as the U.S. flagship city; Atlanta, Phoenix and San Francisco are also leading the way. Across America, community groups, local businesses and concerned individuals are joining in.

Find out more at www.earthhour.org

This does mean no EU for 1 hour :( :silly2: :laugh:

well I work for the state of Arizona in Phoenix and have not heard of this...so im not sure that Phoenix is leading the way....:cool:

But sounds neat anyway.

My lights are off now....

well I work for the state of Arizona in Phoenix and have not heard of this...so im not sure that Phoenix is leading the way....:cool:

But sounds neat anyway.

My lights are off now....

I hadn't heard anything about this till I saw it on CNN.com 1 hour ago.
Minneapolis is also showing support and a bunch of large buildings downtown are going to be turning off the lights but there hasn't been any press around here about it. :( I would hope they would at least tell people about it tonight cuz that would be quite suprising.

Here in England our local radio station was broadcasting it like every 5mins to turn your lights out at 8:00- 9:00...our family did it so did many more in the city:yay: :D

Here in England our local radio station was broadcasting it like every 5mins to turn your lights out at 8:00- 9:00...our family did it so did many more in the city:yay: :D

Thats good to hear. Sounds like it was a great success.

Couldn't find any worldwide statistics yet but to get an idea, this was San Francisco alone:

Earth Hour was an astronomical success! At 8:50pm the electricity consumption in the city dropped by 264 Megawatts, which is approximately 175,000 households. And much of the city remains dark.

Key achievements of Earth Hour 2008 in Australia

• More than 370 cities, towns and communities took part
  • All Australian capital cities participated in Earth Hour
  • 94 percent of the top 100 ASX companies supported Earth Hour
  • 100% of top property companies support which include: Lend Lease, Mirvac, Colliers, Investa, Multiplex, CBRE, AMP, Knight Sinclair and Westfield.
  • Top 5 Australian banks support which include: St George, Westpac, Commonwealth, National Australia Bank and ANZ.

Key achievements of Earth Hour 2008 internationally

• 26 international Earth Hour flagship cities in 10 countries across the globe.
  • 370 supporting cities around the world (please see attached list) makes it the largest voluntary power down event in history.
  • Support from significant international landmarks which include: Seoul Tower the tallest building in Northeast Asia, Casey Station Antarctica, Niagara Falls, Americas infamous jail Alcatraz, Prince Charles; Gloucestershire residence, Highgrove House.

Last edited:
right on.

dam, wish I'd heard of this before today,

However, Ive been doing this for quite a while now, i use to leave my PC's on leave the room for a time leave the screen on.

I don't anymore, it was partly due to the massive Electricity bill we had.

I would love to see the stats and see the positive of the movement.

This should also be done with cars and driving in general. To reduce the amount of Fuel used.

If a house or a car could record the daily or weekly use or cost of consumption of energy, then one could measure and make it lower.

• Lights that if left on turn them selves off with in 10/30 mins.
  • A warning in a car that tells you that you have exceded your normal average weekly mileage/consumption, this would make you aware of it and help you plan to reduce a number of journeys to save or make up the difference.
  • Also an indicator that showed you that you were actually reducing your energy consumption, on a daily/Weekly/Monthly setting.

Turns of the lights & walks to the shop
Moonfish

Note: I am not trying to start a politcal debate on this topic. I am only seeking to bring this event to your attention so lets please keep this thread on the topic of Earth Hour 2008.

Earth Hour started last year in Sydney, Australia, when more than 2 million people and thousands of businesses turned out their lights. Power consumption dropped more than 10 percent in that single hour; the message that climate change must be slowed shone brightly.

Already this year, 25 cities in seven countries have joined World Wildlife Fund as official partners. In the United States, Chicago has joined as the U.S. flagship city; Atlanta, Phoenix and San Francisco are also leading the way. Across America, community groups, local businesses and concerned individuals are joining in.

This does mean no EU for 1 hour :( :silly2: :laugh:

Last edited:
If a house or a car could record the daily or weekly use or cost of consumption of energy, then one could measure and make it lower.

• Lights that if left on turn them selves off with in 10/30 mins.
  • A warning in a car that tells you that you have exceded your normal average weekly mileage/consumption, this would make you aware of it and help you plan to reduce a number of journeys to save or make up the difference.
  • Also an indicator that showed you that you were actually reducing your energy consumption, on a daily/Weekly/Monthly setting.

Sorta like the Toyota Camry Hybrid:
CNNMoney said:
A battery pack takes up some of the Camry Hybrid's trunk space but makes up for it by helping to increase fuel economy. The speedometer and fuel economy gauges glow more brightly as average fuel economy rises during a trip.
Drive very gently and you'll see a flashing "Excellent! Excellent! Excellent!" in the gauge cluster when you switch off the ignition.
http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2008/autos/0803/gallery.most_fuel_efficient/4.html

Back