FYI: Entropia on Linux, IT WORKS !

Slight necro but what the hell...

VMWare Player/Windows XP

FYI, my laptop running Debian Stable with no dual boot (I use Linux full time) and is woefully underpowered as it is a crappy vintage 2008 Dell Inspiron 1720, 3GB of ram w/ NVidia 8400GS. It crashes every now and again but it works, higher specced systems would run this very well I should imagine...

2012-04-17--1334645957_1440x900_scrot.jpg

If you wish emulate Windows, that is a definite possibility, especially Windows XP, for which you can get specialized drivers, however you need a really powerful computer to compare with Wine and there may still be other issues, depending on your hardware.

I tried it my self, just for comparison and it was unplayable while on virtual windows xp, while on Wine it works rather well, albeit not without problems.

The main problem is of course that windows in general do not support para-virtualization. It would make some sense that Windows 8 will eventually do just that (which probably won't happen), as we are moving in to an new era in this regard. That is, virtualization is becoming more and more popular for various purposes, but in order for it to be cost effective, you need to be able to utilize the full power of the hardware, for which you need para-virtualization.

When all is said and done, I actually believe that this will be the downfall of Windows, at least in terms of what it is now, but I'm probably a few decades early.

Personally I look forward to CE3, which should be a whole lot easier to get up and running under Linux, but I guess the wait will be long, which is always the case with the case of what's sensible and what's profitable.

If you wish emulate Windows, that is a definite possibility, especially Windows XP, for which you can get specialized drivers, however you need a really powerful computer to compare with Wine and there may still be other issues, depending on your hardware.

I tried it my self, just for comparison and it was unplayable while on virtual windows xp, while on Wine it works rather well, albeit not without problems

Yes of course Wine works faster, but that is when it works - Wine is temperamental at the best of times - and does not work for myself with EU hence why I use a virtual machine which works just fine. I just posted a screenshot for the "pics or stfu" brigade...

Actually, Windows 8 is build especially for virtualization, and virtualization-support: http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/.../04/16/announcing-the-windows-8-editions.aspx

That is interesting, however I'm not convinced that the features in question are what they seem. At best I think you can use Windows 8 as a hypervisor, which in all honesty don't make much of a difference.

Granted, I'm no expert, but I need more information before I start celebrating. ;)

Yes of course Wine works faster, but that is when it works - Wine is temperamental at the best of times - and does not work for myself with EU hence why I use a virtual machine which works just fine. I just posted a screenshot for the "pics or stfu" brigade...

As I said, no problem with virutalization if your hardware can handle it. My hardware, though a bit ancient, is pretty high end and I can not do it.

If it works for you, that's great, but I think that many will not be so fortunate.

Entropia Universe will never be utilizing 64-bit Microsoft Window to the max!

Sigh, it's probably more interesting to get Entropia running natively (and fully utilizing) on 64-bit Windows first.... then they can worry about other platforms...

Entropia Universe, it's Client Loader and Voice chat, are all 32-bit applications, pure and simple, they cannot see nor use server grade PAE for 32-bit systems with that option or native 64-bit memory, well I should say 33~38 bits anyway (of the address space out of 64-bits). Which 33 bits is 8 GB RAM and 38 bits is 256 GB RAM (40 bits is 1 TB of RAM).

Something interesting to note is that even though you may have a 64-bit OS or at least think it's fully 64-bit, it's really not because if it was, everything would be 64-bit and not be compatible with the older 32-bit userland applications nor libraries.

Some of these high end video cards require a 64-bit OS so they can have more than 4 GB page switched (virtualized) dedicated RAM onboard, it swaps the contents back and forth in main memory to the card's memory, which is known as a "memory window" for video cards. Problem being, if you are using say editing software that is 32-bit and you use a card with 6 GB of RAM like say a Nvidia Quadro 6000 series card, you're not getting the full benefit of what that card can offer. You need to use a 64-bit application that can use that card to the max and use the full RAM you have installed as well.

This is true for Entropia Universe as well too, some of the high end designer cards are not meant for gaming, they have optimizations that are different than a gamer's card and also you run into the same problem, 32-bit app that can't see past 32-bit (4 GB RAM), doesn't do you much good.

Now, as a note about Microsoft Windows and Linux. Linux by default as you all well know doesn't run Windows executables by default, and it requires a sandboxed application that gives an application the impression it is running in what appears to be a Microsoft Windows environment, although, since WINE doesn't emulate MS Windows if mimics the Hardware Compatibility Layer (HCL for short) that speeds up the operations but scarifices stability for speed. Essentially what WINE does is convert between the two HCLs bidirectionally, meaning MS Windows HCL and the HCL of the Linux you just happen to be running.

The problem arrises when you use different revisions of WINE, different patches, different versions of the Linux, different editions, different distributions, etc. The biggest problem in WINE is that the HCL in Linux isn't standardized per version and per distribution. As a note, at current count, today, July 1st, 2012, there are over 4,000 distributions of Linux out there, many with X-Windows and GUI on top of it and some are just command line. Then to make matters worse, each version up from the distribution can make drastic changes to the system as a whole to make it more stable but that leaves the programmers of WINE scrambling to make sure it works on the major distributions.

As a rule of thumb, I only will use WINE on LTS based distributions because I know they aren't making drastic changes to the system that could cause a catastrophic effect on WINE. Also, as strange as this sounds, I don't use the latest drivers for the system, only what I find in the LTS repositories and the restricted drivers known to work on the LTS I am using. I make sure the WINE I used is also found in the repository, not an experimental or backport, those are trouble in the making.

I will put it this way, if you want the 32-bit compatibility mode like what you see in 32-bit Windows, it's best to use Linux distributions that are 32-bit and there is a good reason for it, it goes back to the HCLs. 64-bit HCLs are different than 32-bit HCLs, while WINE can have the WINE64B option installed so you can hop back and forth and act like you are using WOW64 in Microsoft Windows (WOW64 is Windows 32-bit usermode on Windows 64-bit system, required by some applications), it can be a bit more tricky because every time something majored is changed in Linux, the 64-bit version of WINE updates and patches lag behind the straight 32-bit, another thing to consider.

Let's say you have, 8 GB installed and pissed off you can't use it because you've installed the 32-bit version of Linux. Ah, there is a nice thing about Linux, go to your repository, refresh / reload it, then go search for "PAE", for kernel and header, install those, if all goes well when you reboot when you get to console and type, uname -a, it will tell you have the kernel PAE installed, which means you can access more than 4 GB of RAM. What does this do to the HCL you might ask for Linux? Well, as far as WINE is concerned, it doesn't see anything past 4 GB of RAM which means all your other Linux based applications that are PAE aware, which are most of them on a modern Linux OS can use that RAM as free as a breeze.

Note about Entropia Universe on Linux, recently I was asked to try to install and run EU 12.7 on Ubuntu 32-bit 12.04 "Precise"Desktop Edition. So, I downloaded both that LTS and the Ubuntu 32-bit 12.04 Studio Edition, which is the same except the kernel is a low latency coding for real-time multimedia production / editing. Currently, I have them installing on computers here at work. I go for testing of stability over performance (oddly enough to think that for using WINE).

There are very specific options you have to set in the winecfg and winetricks applications to set Entropia Universe to run correctly. Previously, I used Playonlinux and the Pol Helper plugin but it seems to run afoul in this new version of Linux (not surprised though).

Something interesting to note, Cry Engine 2, has support for native Shader Model 3 in DirectX 9.0c and Shader Model 4 in DX 10/10.1, however there is no direct support Shader Model 5.0 for DX11 in that version, there is however support for it in Cry Engine 3. Not to confuse anyone here but MindArk has said this before, numerous times, they only support the game engine capabilities in DirectX 9.0c mode, which means DirectX Shader Model 3.0 is used. The Shader Model conversion based on the HCL for WINE is a hybrid between Shader Model 2.0, 2.5 (unofficially released) and 3.0. Which means you might get certain features in Entropia Universe to look absolutely beautiful while others are just plain ugly. This is true for the rest of the HCL for DirectX, it's not fully implemented aka doesn't directly interface with your hardware to allow you the full experience you would on a native Microsoft Windows machine. That's what's going on.

There was a push to keep OpenGL and other libraries like that away from the kernel processes which means you keep it away from directly interfacing with the hardware while allowing some access to it, it's not full as compared to MS Windows. However, I don't agree with either Microsoft because of the sloppy coding techniques / practices they use and keeping certain libraries and APIs out of the core. Some are necessary, with the proper coding and techniques they can minimize the damage a hacker or application can do to the core of the operating system.

I've been fidding around with the Linux core for quite awhile and been rewriting the kernel to include OpenGL and CL, I've also been working on creating a DirectX like library with API for this distribution of Linux. I realize that the majority of distribution programmers would hate me if I put this design out there, simply because it goes against the tide and the thoughts of how Linux should operate. As I have said in many Linux forums is that Linux itself has a major issue in the credibility department. Even, from distribution to distribution the Linux command set changes, enough to slow you down if you install a new version. For example, some still use the old command like "su" for access of superuser while others use "sudo" or do as a superuser, while others have both but are used in a very specific manner. While I enjoy using the console to get the majority of my work done in Linux, as it's far more direct albeit slower than GUI. The GUI needs to catch up to the command line in terminal / console and be more ergonomic in origin. I don't see that, even in the Ubuntu 11.10 default interface was built for touchscreen such as a pad based computer, if you didn't have a touch screen it was more of a nuissance than anything. It was akin to the default "Ribbon GUI" on Windows 8, also a big time nuissance.

The reason why more companies don't do native applications has been answered already in my previous text above, it's the credibility issue, the 4000+ distributions, even the top 20 are different enough in programming to be a serious issue in stability of a blob download (meaning no source code to compile but an executable and libraries to go with it). That's just too much to deal with for most developers that want to take the easy way out as it is, do as little work as they can and reap the benefits. I am seeking to change that statistic, I want to see more people develop native games in Linux, whether it's GL or the DirectX like lib and API I am working on, doesn't matter to me. By making a Linux distribution that has tightly coupled drivers and applications written by me or people that I hire, if I start another company specific to work on this would be best. The difference between this distribution and the others is that while the download would be free as would the support for the common users, corporations and/or premium users could by support plans to get immediate resolution to their problems, for example mission critical events. The source code would be closed to the general public but open to a select few, such as hardware manufacturers so we can write good solid drivers and I could support their hardware before it hits the open market. Since the system would be tightly coupled, I could then get to writing a better version of what WINE is, not just by a HCL but a lot more could be fleshed out to work in unison with this brand of Linux. Since, I would be controling the source code and everything in the OS, it would lend a hand to stability to the compatibility of Microsoft Windows applications in a sandboxed environment. The idea is to take all the good parts of Playonlinux, WINE (itself) and winetricks and put it in one application would probably be a better idea.

Linux has come a long way from it's humble beginnings and it continues to get better slowly even with all those damn distributions out there. Previously, I was hyper critical about Ubuntu's failures but it appears they've turned over a new leaf with the Ubuntu Studio 12.04 LTS edition release, it does have it's problems but so does all OSes, I must say, it's pretty easy to use from using Linux for so darn long.

Once, this installs and I try to get in it, if I get it working I will post what I installed and what options I set to get into EU on this OS. If you want I can give you the details on the system accessories and drivers I am using so if you want to try it or have the same setup you can give it a go as well.

Sorry for the necro... but I also would like to confirm that EU works fine under wine. I have tried hunting, mining, crafting, TP, vehicles, auctions and space (traveled from Calypso to RT) and all of them works with almost no performance loss.

I have successfully run EU on two setups here:

1. ASUS A53SV with an Intel HD 3000 integrated GPU and an dedicated GT540M GPU (aka NVIDIA Optimus), EU works very well on the integrated GPU alone although the performance is poor which is understandable. Unfortunately the fan on the my laptop died recently and I cannot test EU with primusrun (bumblebee) without serious overheating. I will update once I get my laptop back from repair next week.

2. A self-built PC with Q6700 and GT250, EU also works on it but it crashes more frequently than my laptop which I suspect may be due to driver problems, as my laptop running with the Intel GPU rarely crashes and both are running the exact same OS, libraries. Performance is almost as good as windows (running on high settings).

Both of them are running Arch Linux x86_64 with the latest packages (wine 1.5.27 as of now) w/ awesome window manager (no DE).

--

Here are the outline of steps I have taken:

1. Firstly you need a wine with the double buffer patch (http://bugs2.winehq.org/attachment.cgi?id=27310). It is required for basically anything that runs on CryEngine 2. You can either compile it from source or get a pre-compiled version somewhere, I manually compiled it by myself from ABS.

2. Start with a clean 32-bit prefix. One habit I like is to make a new prefix for each windows application so that they don't interfere with each other. To do so you need to set WINEPREFIX and WINEARCH environment variables, so it goes like something in your shell:
Code:
$ export WINEARCH=win32
$ export WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine-eu
$ rm -r $WINEPREFIX # Delete everything
$ winecfg # And start with the new prefix
# Do things...

3. Apply winetricks: corefonts vcrun2005 d3dx9_36

4. Now install EU with the executable from official website, it should go fine, start the client loader and begin to download planet content. (If you don't want to download those from Internet, you can rsync the public_users_data/dynamic_content directory from an existing installation)

5. When EU validate the downloaded contents, for some reasons it will think your current directory is the directory EU is installed, which will of course cause it to fail. A little script helps here (Make sure you chmod the script to be executable and correct the WINEPREFIX):
Code:
#!/bin/sh

export WINEARCH=win32
export WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine-eu
cd $WINEPREFIX/drive_c/Program\ Files/Entropia\ Universe && wine bin32/ClientLoader.exe

6. For cursors problems (unable to rotate once the mouse hits screen boundary), you can run winecfg (with the correct WINEPREFIX) and check "Automatically capture the mouse in full-screen windows" for Entropia.exe.

7. EU should now run fine on wine. :D

Let me know if those steps also works for you or you have any problems and see if I can help.

Last edited:
Just got my laptop back from repair and tested EU with bumblebee (w/ primusrun render bridge) and it works very nicely on medium/high settings. :yay:

Thanks for the update. From what i've been able to deduce, I'd have to set up a chroot and jump through a lot of additional hoops to compile 32-bit wine in my 64-bit distro, and my success without the patch workaround for the bug in CE2 has been limited over the past few months. Sometimes i can walk around for a few minutes but invariably it will crash...

You mention possible sources for precompiled patched wine binaries, something that i have had a lot of trouble finding considering the effort required to compile wine vs. installing it. Do you have any specific links?

Using Mint here, and tired of booting windows just for EU since it stopped working.

Thanks for the update. From what i've been able to deduce, I'd have to set up a chroot and jump through a lot of additional hoops to compile 32-bit wine in my 64-bit distro, and my success without the patch workaround for the bug in CE2 has been limited over the past few months. Sometimes i can walk around for a few minutes but invariably it will crash...

You mention possible sources for precompiled patched wine binaries, something that i have had a lot of trouble finding considering the effort required to compile wine vs. installing it. Do you have any specific links?

Using Mint here, and tired of booting windows just for EU since it stopped working.

Actually I don't know if there are any precompiled wine with CE2 patch that can be downloaded somewhere. Even if there is one, it mostly like won't work due to different environments, libraries, versions, etc, unless you happen to have the same environment that it is built for (or they just statically link everything...).

I'm using Arch Linux here, and compiling the patched version of wine is extremely simple with its build system. Basically I just use the exact same PKGBUILD script that was used to build the official package and I manually add the CE2 patch right after the source is extracted and continue building/packaging. This is distro-specific anyway, so you have to find out how to build patched packages on Mint, or (not recommended) resort back to the old configure/make/make install, or you could just switch to Arch, hehe :rolleyes:. The x86_64 wine package in Arch includes both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of wine so no chroot is required either. However you do have to set up a 32-bit wineprefix for EU as I detailed above.

I suspect the crash may be due to specific combination of wine/driver/hardware, but it is very hard to say without actually inspecting the error, there are just too many ways things can go wrong in the chain. It would be helpful if more people test EU on Linux and see what works or not. Would you post what hardware, kernel, driver and wine versions you are using to run EU?

Also as Valve is heavily pushing gaming on Linux now, I'd say the situation will improve as companies start to see Linux as an emerging gaming platform. Currently I'm glad EU works with wine and I can hunt and mine for more than six hours without crashing or major graphical glitches. :)

Last edited:
Yeah, not going to go arch. :p

The problem is, i like debian after building and maintaining some packages for my phone's debian-based OS for a while, but also have the need for recent wine and some non-dfsg stuff.

So when i moved and left my old box (which ran EU okay in wine on kubuntu but with the mouse problem all FPS games had, so i always used my XP dual boot for EU back then), i decided to install Frankenstein's monster Mint Debian 64 bit edition on the box i eventually built and it probably was a mistake. It's nice to use but apparently the cross compiling for 32 bit is unnecessarily FUBAR right now.

Now that they got the changes in X to fix the mouse issues, i was hoping i could get rid of windows completely. But, as i said, i've not been able to get EU to run for more than a minute or two on this box.

I wasn't aware of that buffer bug and patch, but if that makes it work for you then it's clear that the same bug that is in crysis is still in CE2. The problem is that the wine devs concluded after analyzing the bug that it truly is in the CE code and thus the patch (which simply reverts an optimization/clean up of wine d3d) can't be admitted to the code. So it's not just a matter of waiting for a new version of wine -- we'll have to always patch for the foreseeable future...

I have tried with wine 1.5.1x - 1.5.27 and recent kernels but always have crashes. Again, the fact that you had to use the buffer patch means that wine since ~1.19 is probably broken with EU to some degree.

I'm going to stick with dual boot for now and check out the build situation in a few months. Who knows, maybe i'll decide to go to another distro by then. :silly2:

Actually I don't know if there are any precompiled wine with CE2 patch that can be downloaded somewhere. Even if there is one, it mostly like won't work due to different environments, libraries, versions, etc, unless you happen to have the same environment that it is built for (or they just statically link everything...).

I'm using Arch Linux here, and compiling the patched version of wine is extremely simple with its build system. Basically I just use the exact same PKGBUILD script that was used to build the official package and I manually add the CE2 patch right after the source is extracted and continue building/packaging. This is distro-specific anyway, so you have to find out how to build patched packages on Mint, or (not recommended) resort back to the old configure/make/make install, or you could just switch to Arch, hehe :rolleyes:. The x86_64 wine package in Arch includes both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of wine so no chroot is required either. However you do have to set up a 32-bit wineprefix for EU as I detailed above.

I suspect the crash may be due to specific combination of wine/driver/hardware, but it is very hard to say without actually inspecting the error, there are just too many ways things can go wrong in the chain. It would be helpful if more people test EU on Linux and see what works or not. Would you post what hardware, kernel, driver and wine versions you are using to run EU?

Also as Valve is heavily pushing gaming on Linux now, I'd say the situation will improve as companies start to see Linux as an emerging gaming platform. Currently I'm glad EU works with wine and I can hunt and mine for more than six hours without crashing or major graphical glitches. :)

Last edited:
ABS FTW!

So much easier than *buntu or whatever...

Hmm, I feel a long and hefty discussion coming up in soc chat :vampire:

Posted from Ubuntu; linux for human beings :wise:

Btw, on topic;

If it doesn't run natively on linux; I don't concider it to run on it. Sure you can use wine and winetricks; but if
we keep on doing that, no-one (well, except valve) will make any games run on linux.

If it doesn't run natively on linux; I don't concider it to run on it. Sure you can use wine and winetricks; but if we keep on doing that, no-one (well, except valve) will make any games run on linux.

I completely agree. EU is the only thing I run through WINE and more than anything I wish that I didn't have to.

I completely agree. EU is the only thing I run through WINE and more than anything I wish that I didn't have to.

Two words: dual boot
I just got fed up with wine. And since they don't sell a computer without cramming windows in you throat I just took the easy way...

btw, don't you think that this means the last word is being said about ubuntu! I'll be online soon (after doing dishes); so get your arguments; we'll gonna annoy the living 'ell out of the other socies :D
J/K I'm doing the molisk event thingy; so I'll be prolly to busy loosing peds anyway :)

Yeah, not going to go arch. :p

The problem is, i like debian after building and maintaining some packages for my phone's debian-based OS for a while, but also have the need for recent wine and some non-dfsg stuff.

So when i moved and left my old box (which ran EU okay in wine on kubuntu but with the mouse problem all FPS games had, so i always used my XP dual boot for EU back then), i decided to install Frankenstein's monster Mint Debian 64 bit edition on the box i eventually built and it probably was a mistake. It's nice to use but apparently the cross compiling for 32 bit is unnecessarily FUBAR right now.

Now that they got the changes in X to fix the mouse issues, i was hoping i could get rid of windows completely. But, as i said, i've not been able to get EU to run for more than a minute or two on this box.

I wasn't aware of that buffer bug and patch, but if that makes it work for you then it's clear that the same bug that is in crysis is still in CE2. The problem is that the wine devs concluded after analyzing the bug that it truly is in the CE code and thus the patch (which simply reverts an optimization/clean up of wine d3d) can't be admitted to the code. So it's not just a matter of waiting for a new version of wine -- we'll have to always patch for the foreseeable future...

I have tried with wine 1.5.1x - 1.5.27 and recent kernels but always have crashes. Again, the fact that you had to use the buffer patch means that wine since ~1.19 is probably broken with EU to some degree.

I'm going to stick with dual boot for now and check out the build situation in a few months. Who knows, maybe i'll decide to go to another distro by then. :silly2:

I think we are going to stay with that patching for anything that uses CE2 until either wine or Crytek fixes that problem, which according to the wine bugzilla is Crytek's fault.

Arch >>>which i686 or x86-64
pacman:)
Cheers we love him:)

x86_64 of course, there is no point in using i686 unless you don't have a 64-bit CPU.

ABS FTW!

So much easier than *buntu or whatever...

Indeed, pacman, ABS and AUR (and package managing in general) are the reason why I have always stayed with Arch. Everything is simple, clean and easy to customize if you need to.

Has anyone done any research/experiment on GPU pass-through on some of the virtualization platforms? My idea is that you will run a guest Windows machine which has full control of the GPU that will be used for gaming and other 3D applications, while host Linux run other stuffs (ssh, browser, etc). This should practically make most of the 3D games work out-of-box under Linux. From what I have gathered is that only one system can access the GPU at a time, so if you don't run anything that uses GPU under Linux, this should work perfectly.

I just got fed up with wine. And since they don't sell a computer without cramming windows in you throat I just took the easy way...

btw, don't you think that this means the last word is being said about ubuntu! I'll be online soon (after doing dishes); so get your arguments; we'll gonna annoy the living 'ell out of the other socies :D
J/K I'm doing the molisk event thingy; so I'll be prolly to busy loosing peds anyway :)

The fact that you can'r buy a computer without winshaft is part of the probloem and as for *buntu, I'm not quite sure what you're getting at. *buntu is great and all, but keep moving father away from the idea that Linux pretty much represent. Freedom that is.

I think we are going to stay with that patching for anything that uses CE2 until either wine or Crytek fixes that problem, which according to the wine bugzilla is Crytek's fault.
The double buffer issue that is the reason for the needed patch is not gonna be "fixed", that much is pretty much certain. All we can hope for is that EU will move to CE3 at some point. Then again, we all remember the issues from the last big change.

Been playing EU with wine for almost a month. Here are some issues I have noted:

- I suspect there may be a resource/memory leak somewhere, if you visit too many areas (which causes lots of different objects/textures/shaders loaded), it will eventually crash. This is bad if you visit shops or TP around a lot. But if you generally stay within the same region, this will most likely not happen.
- There are sometimes graphical glitches if you left EU running for very long (>6 hours, for example): wrong textures, mobs snapped right on your head, ...etc.
- Fogs flickering. (I'm talking about the dome-like ones, like the purple one around Oshiri or certain areas of Rocktopia)
- Keyboard will act funny in crowded places. It is like the "KeyUp" event is not properly handled, so your avatar will keep walking forward even if you have released the 'w' key, and 'w' will be randomly inserted when you type in a text box.
- It seems to be a lot darker underwater. (Not sure if that is actually caused by wine or by design)

So I'd say it is fairly playable if you are just a regular hunter/miner and stay away from crowded cities.

Brand new Linux user here

Well i finally got to install Entropia on my Ubuntu.
Thanks to all the people that posted and helped all over the forums.

I still have a major graphic issue which no one else seem to have.

Unlike other people,my mouse ,sound and other graphics all seem perfect.

I have a different problem.the graphics flicker all around,it sometimes changes color,some green some other times its blue,other pink or black,just flickering,which makes it really hard to use Entropia.

I tried different settings on wine and different versions, different graphic card options,diffrent setings inside the game console,later ingame as well,also disabling some graphics I had on desktop(wobbly windows).

Nothing seem to help.

Finally i tried to elevate settings to high,and presto,all was fixed,all graphics seem perfect.

Problem is im useing a slow laptop with a mediocre display card,so on high my avatar changes to steve austin,everything goes slow motion..

So my question is there anything to do,so i could play my normal low or medium settings,untill i get my top PC(god knows when that will be.. :scratch2:)

Thanks in advance

hmm scratch that,after installing the new version plus some other stuff seems to run flawlessly now,woot

Last edited:
Well i finally got to install Entropia on my Ubuntu.
Thanks to all the people that posted and helped all over the forums.

I still have a major graphic issue which no one else seem to have.

Unlike other people,my mouse ,sound and other graphics all seem perfect.

I have a different problem.the graphics flicker all around,it sometimes changes color,some green some other times its blue,other pink or black,just flickering,which makes it really hard to use Entropia.

I tried different settings on wine and different versions, different graphic card options,diffrent setings inside the game console,later ingame as well,also disabling some graphics I had on desktop(wobbly windows).

Nothing seem to help.

Finally i tried to elevate settings to high,and presto,all was fixed,all graphics seem perfect.

Problem is im useing a slow laptop with a mediocre display card,so on high my avatar changes to steve austin,everything goes slow motion..

So my question is there anything to do,so i could play my normal low or medium settings,untill i get my top PC(god knows when that will be.. :scratch2:)

Thanks in advance

hmm scratch that,after installing the new version plus some other stuff seems to run flawlessly now,woot

Getting bugged about dual booting just for EU again.

Question for you and the others successfully running EU on wine: which brand of graphics card do you have?

I see PkmX has Intel and nvidia.

I have AMD, and I still can't get wine to even complete logging in before it crashes. I'm considering installing another flavor of linux just to try to get this working, but have my doubts that will resolve it.

...Question for you and the others successfully running EU on wine: which brand of graphics card do you have? ...

I have Intel and Nvidia too, and last time I tried the game run smooth.

Details: Intel Core i7 930 + EVGA GTX 260

Updated to latest beta catalyst driver 13.x. No joy.

Still getting a crash with the same exception error about the time the client finishes loading: Exception Address = 21096949

Here are the last log messages. Can someone with functioning EU in WINE please compare with your log as the client loads.
Code:
fixme:d3d:resource_check_usage Unhandled usage flags 0x8.
fixme:d3d:state_zfunc D3DCMP_NOTEQUAL and D3DCMP_EQUAL do not work correctly yet.
fixme:d3d:wined3d_buffer_preload Too many declaration changes or converting dynamic buffer, stopping converting
fixme:module:GetModuleHandleExW should pin refcount for 0x22140000
err:ole:CoInitializeEx Attempt to change threading model of this apartment from apartment threaded to multi-threaded
fixme:mmdevapi:AEV_SetMute stub
err:ole:CoInitializeEx Attempt to change threading model of this apartment from apartment threaded to multi-threaded
fixme:mmdevapi:AEV_SetMasterVolumeLevelScalar stub
fixme:dbghelp:elf_search_auxv can't find symbol in module
fixme:ieframe:get_location_url semi-stub
fixme:ieframe:ClOleCommandTarget_Exec Unimplemented cmdid 67 of CGID_ShellDocView

Just some update on the current status of gaming on Linux.

Recently there has been some support of GPU pass-through on Xen [1] and KVM [2], this means that you can have a Windows guest with direct access to your GPU and therefore have 3D acceleration with minimal performance loss. (Of course this also means that your host OS will not be able to use the GPU anymore.)

This is useful if you have two GPU's on your system (most laptops with a dedicated GPU), so you will have the integrated GPU on your Linux host for browser/terminal/X11 and the more powerful dedicated GPU passed to Windows guest for gaming.

Do note that GPU pass-through support is experimental and requires a lot of poking, tinkering and hackage to get it to work. From what I've gathered, AMD/ATI (also NVIDIA Quardo series) cards work better on Xen and you will have more chance on KVM if you have an NVIDIA card.

Hopefully these issues (and the difficulty of getting it to work) will be resolved in the near future as this can potentially make a lot of games work under Linux without dual-booting.

Unfortunately, my laptop has a i7-2630QM CPU which doesn't support VT-d so I cannot try it :(, but if you have problems getting EU to run on wine, you can give GPU pass-through a try (and hopefully get a lot more other 3D intensive apps to run as well).

Also for optimus laptops, NVIDIA recently released their new 319 driver which makes it possible to use your dedicated GPU as the main rendering card (that is your main X will run on the NVIDIA card) and have the output dumped to your Intel GPU for display. This improves the performance by a bit as it requires less copying compared to bumblebee.

[1] http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_VGA_Passthrough
[2] https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=162768&p=1

Last edited:
Hey guys, thanks for your efforts on trying to make EU run on Linux.

I'm using Ubuntu 13.10 on my desktop with a Nvidia gtx760.

Following your instructions I was able to install EU and run it under POL with wine 1.6-rc4-d3d_doublebuffer. I installed EU with the 1.4 doublebuffer you guys mention, but that version doesn't recognize my card so had to change it in the configuration later. 1.6 recognizes my card as a GTX 660.

My problem is that the game doesn't seem to load any graphics other than the GUI, meaning I only see blue all around, no land, no buildings etc.. also all the icons are replaced by a red X, which makes me wonder if everything went ok during the download.
I've tried Medium/High and Safe mode settings, nothing seems to work. At some point I could kinda see the floor and the layouts of buildings (just the floors), but now it came down to just blue.

Anyone else had this problem or knows how to fix it? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I've done some tweaking in the settings and got it to show some stuff, but not only doesn't load most of the textures, it flashes some colors about.

screenshot_903100.jpg

Last edited:
Cheers. Promising.. keep it up.

Well to be honest I have no clue on what to do now other trying random settings, I was hoping that someone who was able to make it run could help me out :)

Well to be honest I have no clue on what to do now other trying random settings, I was hoping that someone who was able to make it run could help me out :)

It seems to be a hit-or-miss thing based on hardware and software. It simply won't work on my current box and i've tried several distributions and several versions of wine.

The only thing i can suggest from what i recall is that the red x for items in inventory and the missing objects in-world suggests that you're missing some D3D9 functionality like pixel shaders. Installing DX9 and using it instead of the built-in libraries might fix it, but it might break it more. If it were just wine you were using i'd suggest you create a new wine prefix first, but you're using PoL and i haven't used that and thus don't know how to create a custom config.

Thanks mate, I'll have a go at that.

Back