Filter Skilling a waste of time?

Suicide

Prowler
Sajinol Suicide Jamison
I was just crafting the next load of filters and wondered. Is filter crafting a waste of time?

Sure we get the occasional hof. But mainly we make TT food and get TT BP for a loss. I just wondered. Is making mechanical items a total waste of ped? I know there are skills that are involved that effect other crafting and such. But is there and easier way?

Just pondering.

Suicide

A very good question we have there.

On the one hand, skilling on components is the cheapest way, and Basic Filters are the best choice.

On the other hand, you are right : Mechanics and Manufacture Mechanical Equipment will be quite useless to you in the future.

However, this is the way to go if you want fast Computer and Engineering skillgains, and I think components might just become useful again some day... :wise:

Well u can always search out a good skilling BP in another crafting area and use that u might only be able to produce 1/2 to 2/3's of the number of attempts u would have doing basic filters but u will be building skills more specific to the crafting type u have chosen

Franck said:
A very good question we have there.

On the one hand, skilling on components is the cheapest way, and Basic Filters are the best choice.

On the other hand, you are right : Mechanics and Manufacture Mechanical Equipment will be quite useless to you in the future.

However, this is the way to go if you want fast Computer and Engineering skillgains, and I think components might just become useful again some day... :wise:

It seems a bit obvious that the plan for these things are for vehicles... so i have to trust MA thinking that at some point there will be a need for these and a skilled person to make them.

If you look at what you are making (engines, filters, hoods, etc...) they all point to vehicles. The question is, is this something that will have a need for in the future? I read a post that shadow used to be TT food. So is there really going to be a need for skilled personnel? It would be cool if we could turn this TT garbage into something that means something... wink wink.. marco wink wink.

Suicide

Maybe you will be able to craft Jesters for cheap very soon... Who knows :rolleyes:

If so, get a friend to lend you a QR 40+ Jester D-1 BP and skill on it. At least you will have the feeling that you are doing something useful :)

Nevertheless, you will need more than ten times as much starting money to get the same amount of skills...

I think you already know this, but crafting weapons as a pro hunter is a very good idea, thanks to LWT :)

hehe good point... you can make a nice welcome mat out of filters tho for your apt :D

I skill on Basic Filters too.. cheap to make and the BP loots arent too bad on them. Yeah the skillgains come thick n fast too :cool:

Out of interest... hmm nah.. it's way off topic (another thread me thinks)

I've built quite a few basic filters, I'd hate to think how many actually. I built a BP up to the 100qr mark and kept going with it. I make a slight profit against TT, so if I work with 500ped of materials, I tend to make about 510ped of filters and waste product, which is nice.

Of course, the raw materials are rare at TT price! The skill gains are the important thing tho, it's a (reasonably) cheap way of skilling up, so I'd say no, it's not a waste of time, but it does take a lot of time, and they are useless at the moment. So it's you all really.

Oh... and if anyone has a few thousand lyst & oil at Tt price....... :D

Basic Bearings 163 6.54 PED Storage
Basic Coil 458 13.74 PED Storage
Basic Engine 60 3.15 PED Storage
Basic Filters 1000 10.00 PED Storage
Basic Filters 146 1.46 PED Storage
Basic Pump 1000 10.00 PED Storage
Basic Pump 676 6.76 PED Storage
Basic Servo 181 2.53 PED Storage
Basic Servo 1000 14.00 PED Storage
Basic Servo 1000 14.00 PED Storage
Basic Structure 97 2.28 PED Storage
Basic Structure 1000 23.62 PED Storage
Durable Hood 10 0.41 PED Storage
Durable Motor 36 3.66 PED Storage
Standard Compressor 640 17.43 PED Storage
Standard Core 795 10.81 PED Storage
Standard Damper 451 6.13 PED Storage
Standard Locks 90 5.40 PED Storage
Standard Valve 37 1.24 PED Storage
Standard Vents 18 0.31 PED Storage

.. as you can see. Im planning to be a Calypso mechanic.

Now if only I can figure out how this whole combustion engine works. Already I envision self-propelling moving vehicles leaving their tracks all over calypso.

Franck said:

You don't gain Computer skill by crafting components.

/Kjetil :cool:

I Hof'd on Lyst and Oil and have been making mad filters. I'm getting a decent return on it, but I'd rather be making shins. I Hof'd making basic servos once too, which was nice. Not to mention I can sell the BP once it gets to 100... I just wonder how you get above lev 5 bps?

PS. I also scan the auctioneer. I think I went through three or four scanners with an autoclicker. I even sold two completely depleted scanners for a 12 PED proffit in the auction... ha HA!!

Back