Getting started as a sylist

Fade

Stalker
Society
Masters of Chaos Chat
Caldonicus Fade Lore
Not sure If I really want to go this way long term, but I started doing some haircuts.

Talk about expensive to start ;)

So, I wonder...how much time/ped does it take before you can unlock any hairstyles that people are willing to pay for?

And what are the fair prices to charge...given that with my skill level, I will be burning a lot of gel.

And as far as advertising goes... does shouting out "haircuts!" work?

So, I wonder...how much time/ped does it take before you can unlock any hairstyles that people are willing to pay for?

The first few unlocks happen rather fast. As for styles that people are willing to pay for... some people are willing to pay for even the ava creation styles.

And what are the fair prices to charge...given that with my skill level, I will be burning a lot of gel.

Skill level has nothing to do with success rate in beauty...ever. It's amount of gel/spray you use that affects success, but you will be burning a lot of gel to skill for unlocks if you'll be skilling on one person for a period instead of going the long way and skilling only on customers. As for fair price, that is up to you really...there have been a lot of beautician price competitions lately.

And as far as advertising goes... does shouting out "haircuts!" work?

Yes. Hiring someone to advertise for you works too.

It all sounds so expensive ;)

so... let me get this right...

I could sell the chair for 2400 ped or so, buy some 5b plates, and do what I am most skilled at (hunting)...

OR

I can spend $50 a month for the next 6 months skilling, advertising, etc in order to make 3 ped a haircut.

Tough call...but I will have to go for the last one....cuz I am a freakin genius I am...

btw, this explains where all my ped went....

:laugh: That is correct. It is an expensive profession, but it is fun.

Good luck! :cool:

Talk to Ido... Think you can get some help there :D

Before really starting advertising in town for customers, i think you must at least unlock facial hair/haircoloring, which comes at level 5 and 10 for haircoloring.

Should be easier to make profit on that, since all the colors are unlocked at same time. Only problem then might be that, afaik, you can't change the haircolor on a style you can't do. At least it's what some others stylist told me, not sure if it's still true (never had that problem :D).

Sorg

All haircuts people were willing to pay for, but not anymore due to certain people.
The whole business is crap now and many stylists are leaving.
Good luck with your business though, maybe you will be one of the few who succeed....Though even Sorg is not profiting anymore.

All haircuts people were willing to pay for, but not anymore due to certain people.
The whole business is crap now and many stylists are leaving.
Good luck with your business though, maybe you will be one of the few who succeed....Though even Sorg is not profiting anymore.

Ehhh, not complaining yet, still skilling cheap ;)

how do you skill cheap?

does it work as well with 1 can of hairspray as it does with 10 gels? .. for skilling purposes, I mean.

And how many ped does it take, ya think, to get to the levels where you can do the kind of stuff that you can charge for?

If there was a universal messaging system, that would make getting contacts for jobs a lot easier. ;)

how do you skill cheap?

does it work as well with 1 can of hairspray as it does with 10 gels? .. for skilling purposes, I mean.

And how many ped does it take, ya think, to get to the levels where you can do the kind of stuff that you can charge for?

If there was a universal messaging system, that would make getting contacts for jobs a lot easier. ;)

The more gels you use, the more skillgain you get. I find that 20-25 gels (40-50 sprays) works best for skillgain/PEC (but I only got to 2k hair stylist before I chipped out, at higher levels I would imagine 40-50 gels, 80-100 sprays).

You can charge for any haircut really, if somebody thinks it looks nice then they should be willing to pay for it, since all the haircuts cost the same to do.
But once you can do facial hair and facial hair coloring, you will notice a larger influx of customers. When you unlock hair coloring, another larger influx of customers. That is, assuming you get any customers these days....Well, sure you can get customers, but whether or not you profit from them is the question.

how do you skill cheap?

By skilling cheap, i was meaning "paid by customers". ;)

To get to level 10, i would say 4K ped needed maybe? :scratch2: Hard to tell, but should cost about that i think, depending on the markup you get the spray/gel for.

Sorg

By skilling cheap, i was meaning "paid by customers". ;)

To get to level 10, i would say 4K ped needed maybe? :scratch2: Hard to tell, but should cost about that i think, depending on the markup you get the spray/gel for.

Sorg

Yes, 4k ped is a good estimate. That is about what I spent to get to level 10.

wohooo ):

I want to be a silyst too :)

gl all

The more gels you use, the more skillgain you get. I find that 20-25 gels (40-50 sprays) works best for skillgain/PEC (but I only got to 2k hair stylist before I chipped out, at higher levels I would imagine 40-50 gels, 80-100 sprays).

You chipped out? I seen you advertising thread heat do you start it from the very begining?

You chipped out? I seen you advertising thread heat do you start it from the very begining?

Yes I chipped out, and have started from the beginning. But I have unlocked facial hair again and am working on coloring again.

I want to be a silyst too :)

gl all

Naomi, are you actually considering getting into hair styling? Or just a joke?

Sorry for the off topic, Fade, consider this a free bump.

Why is the hair styling profession tanking? And, how much skill in terms of TT value would one get from using max spray and gel?

Didnt realize you guys wernt profiting. I purchased a hair chair. Ive just been doing it to society mates atm while i skill up. I did think i would be able to do my own hair though lol...but obviously cant.

Any advice? Sell the chair? They said you are nuts for buying it and say i wont make anything for a while. I told them i don't mind skilling up for a year slowly.

Sorry for the off topic, Fade, consider this a free bump.

You should know that I (of all people) would never hold it against someone if they went off topic ;)

Well, there is some concern about gel drop rates as well. Some think that MA now has their be-knighted stylists, and don't need any more. Price of gel, and low prices from those that are already skills, seems to indicate that it will be a losing proposition in the short run....but aren't most things in EU? For later adopters, though...we would lose more than the early adopters of course.

But I suppose you could consider it a risky investment in the future...what might EU look like a year from now, when we are finally skilled. What might people pay then? I don't think the market is all that big to start with, when you consider how tight a lot of people are with peds. Add to that, the cost for taking off helmets, resulting in some people just leaving armor on...and the market is a bit smaller.

I just don't know....

Last edited:
Why is the hair styling profession tanking? And, how much skill in terms of TT value would one get from using max spray and gel?

There is no max amount of gel or spray to put in (as far as I know), you can put in thousands if you like, but the max success rate is 54%.

Maybe I misunderstood, but stylists can't style their own hair?? Now that's just silly. I can understand surgeons can't operate themselves, but come on, this is hair.

Maybe I misunderstood, but stylists can't style their own hair?? Now that's just silly. I can understand surgeons can't operate themselves, but come on, this is hair.

Nope, unfortunately stylists cannot style their own hair.

You know what is really wierd is that hair doesnt grow in entropia, so hairstyles are really just wigs and we are all just bald underneath:)

Hate to break it to you, but...

... those are not our real bald head either.

hmmm... makes one wonder about Plato's forms.

Back