Question: Gnome versus pixie?

iancampbell

Alpha
Society
Global Alliance
Christopher Chris Kinnison
Looking at the stats for these two armours, Gnome appears to be a bit better than Pixie - a bit more protection in both categories. Does this translate to any actual difference in use? And how does the eco compare for the two, assuming that you are hunting something that doesn't give you too many 1.0 damage rolls?

Entropedia is your friend on this one...

my guess is that the difference is so minimal that if you actually cared about the tiny savings one way or the other, this game is probably too expensive for you to begin with...

Get the Gnome

I would get the Gnome, extra 3 points of protection, and then look on Entropedia and select some plates to add some extra protection on top.
Enjoy

the pricetag on pixie vs gnome is almost the same.
the difference might not seem huge, but it is, especially if you like small argonauts. Unplated gnome is enough for argo young, and if you add a small plate (1a, 2a) I could do them up to guardian, without any problem.
gnome/2a is also nice for molisks and any other " a bit bigger" mob that maybe also does some cut damage.

it's twice as good, actually. Read the sticky about how armor works, buy some plates, and see why. :)

Gnome because the way it look! :D

only armor i currently use is gnome and gremlin, then plate with 6a or 5b when and where needed. anything inbetween the needs of the unlpated and plated armor i just fap between kills.

Id go for gnome. If u decide to plate it with 5b u can do atrox up to provider without any hassell(hof) :laugh: I use gnome 5b myself for impact mobs.

gnome is the supremacy of noob armour :D

Fyi

Its still low end armor but I like Kobold much more, it offers cold protection that adds Feffoids to your hunting list.

And consider Shogun its real good low end allround armor you could use vs drones.

Breaking even in hunting is obtained by the mutiple tiny savings. ;)

Go for Gnome !

And ped waste in game is obtained by the multiple purchases we make based on potential future savings :D

I like my gnome armour, don't get me wrong, but i'm not sure it's worth buying for protection purposes if one already has pixie...

in terms of economy, gnome might win ever so slightly, but only

a: if the two are being used to their full potential...

b: if you use it enough to justify the purchase price...

I also find that often, when I try to "save" by using lower level armour too much, I end up negating that savings by fapping more than I should...

I'm assuming a more experienced player would have looked up the info on entropedia to begin with rather than posting the question on the forum, hence directing the answer towards new players...

As most new players will end up upgrading armour sooner than later... i'd say go with pixie and get out there and hunt...

Its still low end armor but I like Kobold much more, it offers cold protection that adds Feffoids to your hunting list.

And consider Shogun its real good low end allround armor you could use vs drones.
Kobold works adequately against Drones, add a choice of 2B, 3B, 5C or even 6As for cheap Drone hunting.

However, Pixie vs Gnome: :)
Gnome has 11 Impact, better than Shogun (only just) vs Impact mobs, and as ~75% of all mobs do some or all Impact damage that's the priority to defend against.
Where Gnome really scores over Pixie IMHO is the tt value, roughly 2x the tt value of Pixie, which means it keeps protecting for longer. 5A plates are what I usually use giving 18 Impact 8 Cut. Due to how armour works it's quite effective vs small Atrox/Atrax. It also has only 1 less point of protection vs Impact than Ghost for a fraction of the cost.
Having had my set for over 2 years now it's the set that lives in my inventory, not in my storage. Again, because of how the armour+plate works it also gives 18 vs Feffs as well. It's also great for Sabas because it doesn't protect at all and therefore doesn't decay. If you need armour for Sabas then you're doing it wrong :D
And in Gnome + 1A/2A/3A/4A/5A plates is good for killing all the mobs needed to loot a full set of Shogun anyway. Go and see the Sabas for gloves ;)

As was said earlier, 5B plates and trox Provs are no bother. Guardians hit a little too much tho :(

In conclusion;

Gnome is just that little bit better all round. And it has that one quality that sets it apart as not being Pixie.
It isn't Pixie ;)

Last edited:
Pixie/(gnome/rascal) has low TT, which gives two big advantages for beginners and players on a budget:
- It doesn't cost to much to repair it to full the first time.
- If you accidently get yourself swarmed, you'll get a limited repair bill.

For the first point: Many beginners buy a full set of shogun or gremlin and then realize they don't afford to repair it, and after that they complain they die alot while hunting.

For the second point: How much you even try to abuse pixie, it's hard to get more than say 13 ped repair bill, while you easily can get 15 ped repair bill in a few minutes minute if you accidently land in the middle of an atrax swarm. You don't get as much in Shogun, but you will probably get some repair costs anyway...

Higher TT armors have the advantage of losing protection slower (and (L) doesn't lose protection at all until it's gone) - which is good for more experienced hunters who want to hunt for a long time between repairs and spend time away from repair terminals. On the other hand if you don't repair your armor frequently or you use (L) armor, it's hard to get armor repair cost under control.

Armor Advisor on entropedia is an awesome tool for comparing armor numbers based on mob choice.

Suprised nobody else hadn't linked to it yet.

Pixie + 2a is enough for feffs

Posted via Mobile Device

I only have 5b plates and 6a. So why to bought another plates set when gnome + 5b on feffs have prety low repairs...

A run on allos is like 2/3ped decay on gnome + 5b :silly2:

I only have 5b plates and 6a. So why to bought another plates set when gnome + 5b on feffs have prety low repairs...

A run on allos is like 2/3ped decay on gnome + 5b

because those 5b and 6a may be overprotecting you some time... If you get hit with 1 point hits 100% of the time when hunting something, you are overprotected and are paying too much on armor decay, in a very similar way to the way overkill works only in reverse... since it's overprotection... Try 3b or some lower level plates sometime. If you get hit with 1 point hits only part of the time, your normal health points take some damage instead of 100% of your pedcard taking the damage.

A run on allos is like 2/3ped decay on gnome + 5b :silly2:

There may be no reason for you to get 2a plates, but for a new player or someone playing on low budget, the price difference between 2a and 5b is huge.

Posted via Mobile Device

b: if you use it enough to justify the purchase price...

You can sell it again for presumably similar markup to when you bought it, so I see this as a moot point.

Definitely go for gnome, since it is so much more better looking (some might think you are wearing ghoul :D) and has better durability and few extra protection points ;)

Definitely go for gnome, since it is so much more better looking (some might think you are wearing ghoul :D) and has better durability and few extra protection points ;)

Whoo how many ppl would wear ghoul to hunt small Argos, but how many wear gnome for it ?
So look is not all to determine which armor is more likely worn in a particular hunting place :)

Definitely go for gnome, since it is so much more better looking (some might think you are wearing ghoul :D)

On the other hand Pixie can be mistaken for Spectre :laugh:

I use gnome+5bs for all kinds of mobs.. biggest mob I killed (or most hard hitting) by myself is a ambu provider I think.. but big atrax, medium atrox and such works really good with a ur125 and hl11 and up.. and the repairbill is always about 1-4 peds.. I would chose gnome over pixie every time.. and I have used both on and of for years..

Back