Gone is the line between virtual and real worlds

Erasmus

Provider
Erasmus Hedonismus
Treasure Island was still squarely in the virtual world. With CND, EU started to blur the line with the advent of disco and real world DJs. Then MA introduced the Entropia ATM card, and now banking (real or virtual).

The large number of threads on EF shows a growing schism between pure gamers and players also interested in other avenues offered in EU. It's not just the usual gripes about Ubers anymore, but gripes about the rich guys who are suspected of hijacking the "game".

Some players see EU coming at a crossroad where the gaming aspect is secondary to the "business" aspect. Well, that was MA's master plan from day one with the "real cash economy" and they never implied that EU was mainly for hunting and mining. What is happening now is that the economy is taking front stage over the gaming, which is quite upsetting to some players.

I don't think EU is coming to a crossroad at all, but simply reaching the scope (if not the size!) that MA had devised in the first place.

The business people need the gamers just as much as the gamers needs the businesses to buy/sell their stuff. And it's not one or the other: The best known and biggest business owners in EU are also gamers, they came from gaming.

The crossroad that EU is reaching is the point at which real world implications and complications directly affect the virtual economy, such as the recent problems with the ATM card and the future banking avenue. And almost certainly other new "things" involving real world businesses (whenever MA gets their PR act together). The real downside is that as EU steps firmly into the real world, like it or not, it also steps into the real world of business: Politics.

+rep for a nice post. :)

I agree with most everything you wrote, I would just like to add that you can still play EU as a game eventhough it's political, economic and service industries are developing.

That's what I like about EU! :yay:

It's up to the individual to decide which activities in-game you want to partake in.

Stoffer

Some players see EU coming at a crossroad where the gaming aspect is secondary to the "business" aspect. Well, that was MA's master plan from day one with the "real cash economy" and they never implied that EU was mainly for hunting and mining. What is happening now is that the economy is taking front stage over the gaming, which is quite upsetting to some players.

The overall vision for Entropia appears to be quite large, covering all sorts of virtual and real-virtual activities and relationships.

The problem is that right now all of their real-virtual, business stuff is fueled by the three main professions - Hunting, Mining and Manufacturing.

In other words the game component of EU is what keeps it alive, for without it things like TI, CND, Malls and Banks would simply not be able to operate.

People are rightfully complaining that MA is neglecting the game side of things in favour of the business side and it is something that I hope they address better this year than they did last year.

- Deathifier

this need to be repeated:

other words the game component of EU is what keeps it alive, for without it things like TI, CND, Malls and Banks would simply not be able to operate.

People are rightfully complaining that MA is neglecting the game side of things in favour of the business side and it is something that I hope they address better this year than they did last year.

thank you, mr. deathifier for your most true analysis. now frank, did you remember to make note of it?

this need to be repeated:

thank you, mr. deathifier for your most true analysis. now frank, did you remember to make note of it?

MA wont make note of anything, the things that they supposedly changed, then changed back due to community outrage was simply because it was WAAAY off the mark, i.e. team loots.
They will continue following the road-map from the end, driving backwards, as I said b4.

Simply my 2 cents.

I know, muddy. I'm only trying to be optimisitc.

Its ok....;)

Im trying also, even though it dont seem like it, I always am deep down....If I wasnt, Id be gone....:(

- Deathifier

Right, a judicious balance is required to keep EU healthy and MA has an attention disorder. Every time there is a new toy, they forget about all the others!

Back