High End Armor (UL vs L)?

Rave

Stalker
Society
Freelancer
RP Rave Prospector
Upon reading through various trade threads and armor threads, I'm trying to get some input on whether or not UL armor is a better option than L (high end).

I haven't played in a long time (a year and a half or so) so I'm a bit out of the loop these days. But being an old school player, shadow was always something of an accomplishment to work towards. With that in mind, in the next few months I will be considering moving up the armor tree. I have used both Rutuba and Spartacus armor many times in the past, and have been very happy with the protection offered. Both armors have similar, overall close range protection to shadow.

With what I have seen, Shadow (M) sets are somewhere between 75-85k PED, with a set of Rutuba or Spartacus going somewhere between 2500-3500 PED, depending on availability through drops. That means for that same 85k PED you can approximately 30 (L) sets. That will obviously last a good while, but we also have to keep the UL decay in mind. I'm not entirely sure on the decay rate of the Shadow, which is part of my predicament.

I plan on staying with boots on the ground in Calypso (I don't care about all this space stuff lol, I come from a time when only Eudoria existed).

Any thoughts on what becomes the best option in the end? High-end (L) armor, paying maybe 3k PED a week (but worrying about supply and demand, increasing MU% if even available) or the glorious Shadow armor, paying a one time ~80k PED with regular repairs (and avoiding future supply/demand/availability)?

My old school hunting usually keeps me around the big trox, if that matters to anyone.

Thanks in advance for your 2 PECs!

~Rave :dunce:

EDIT: Also, anyone know where the Sentinel (M) set is? I was never able to complete mine a few years back, because Peatie outbid me on thighs, bah! And possible price?

Last edited:
I agree with what you've written but if you are here for the long haul then high-end UL wins everytime.

One key fact you haven't considered is tiering. Keep tiering your UL stuff and you'll have a mighty fine piece of armour. Watch your L pieces tier up and wave bye bye to them every time they hit 3% - that sucks big time.

I agree with what you've written but if you are here for the long haul then high-end UL wins everytime.

One key fact you haven't considered is tiering. Keep tiering your UL stuff and you'll have a mighty fine piece of armour. Watch your L pieces tier up and wave bye bye to them every time they hit 3% - that sucks big time.

Ah, yes, I didn't even think of that - very good point. I usually don't even get a decent tier before my L items break :eyecrazy:

Yes it is true that you can purchase many spartacus armor sets for the price of shadow, however... How often do you hunt? If you hunt a lot like I do you will need a good UL set otherwise if not then an L set will be absolutley fine :)

What I did was tried both out and found it just got very costly to maintain L and if you are on different planets pieces are hard press. But its up to you, that is just my two pecs :)

~Danimal

Yes it is true that you can purchase many spartacus armor sets for the price of shadow, however... How often do you hunt? If you hunt a lot like I do you will need a good UL set otherwise if not then an L set will be absolutley fine :)

What I did was tried both out and found it just got very costly to maintain L and if you are on different planets pieces are hard press. But its up to you, that is just my two pecs :)

~Danimal

Well, since I have no intention of leaving Calypso, thats where the parts are found. And, yeah, the issue is how often I'll have time to hunt (with college and work). But it seems like the shadow could be an investment, and you know you'll always get some money back. Unless the game completely tanks lol... And Rutuba also has a bit more protection. Ah, decisions! Plus, trying to even find a shadow set for sale :laugh:

If you really burn 3 K in high end (L) amor in around a week ---> go for Shadow no question

If you really burn 3 K in high end (L) amor in around a week ---> go for Shadow no question

Well, what does decay look like with the Shadow is one of the questions I'm looking at. That could impact the decision if it evens out.

Play a lot (eg. burn a lot) > UL, otherwise L

/wave@Rave

Similar situation here, but gone quite a while longer than you (and NO, I'm not back :p ). I recently got a set of Rutuba and it works great for my purposes. I'm not grinding big mobs, I just don't have any HP anymore, so I'm just using it to keep me alive when I take hits when I'm healing someone else who is. Otherwise, fuck the armor, I'm going naked w/some eco imp gear on lower level mobs, that's all I need for now. As you said, you can buy a lot of good relatively inexpensive L gear for the price people are asking for UL...

I guess it all depends of your defensive skills too because it makes the decay wayyy less on UL. I guess It depends on the skills and budget to what to choose. I personly prefer UL but now im doing some tests with (L) armor for a while.

...And, yeah, the issue is how often I'll have time to hunt (with college and work). But it seems like the shadow could be an investment,...

it seems you made your decision already, you are just looking for validation on the forums :)

when you grind hardcore with L - you piss peds in the wind..

You can`t get back L markup, but you can get most of UL markup back.

How about using a " cheap UL armor / no armor " and go with an eco-fapper on big mobs?

For example:

I do proterons naked with imp-fapper. Let's say 50peds/hour.
I think my armor&fap decay would be about the same in 1 hour and I can't kill so many because of fap-breaks.
If you need to fap more the regen mobs will cost more to kill too.

The only thing is your hunting time is limited to the fapper time.....

Last edited:
How about using a cheap UL armor and go with an eco-fapper on big mobs?

I've always tried to be as self sufficient as possible in EU, makes me feel special :laugh:

Its better to pay the big lump sum of the decay on the UL shadow, in the long run you will safe money.

Its better to pay the big lump sum of the decay on the UL shadow, in the long run you will safe money.

Assuming you can sell it for what you paid for it...

Assuming you can sell it for what you paid for it...

Well, even if you don't get 100% what you paid, a good point was made that you get NONE of the PEDs back from L armor.

And yeah UL is where I'm headed :dunce:

EDIT: Also, anyone know where the Sentinel (M) set is? I was never able to complete mine a few years back, because Peatie outbid me on thighs, bah! And possible price?

oh boy, now's your chance!!! :yay:

Sentinel for sale! <--- (Shadow Arms though)

Well, even if you don't get 100% what you paid, a good point was made that you get NONE of the PEDs back from L armor.

And yeah UL is where I'm headed :dunce:

It's that clear cut. I'm gonna quote one famous uber from another read on EF.

Naomi said:
Then one starts to wonder, what is the use of having the best stuff in game, if it doesn't provide me with anything?
Instead of using Foerippers and Mod Mercs, I could have used big L guns all the time, you say I would have lost more then I have now, because of the markup? FORGET IT, the big-ass UL items have devaluated more then I could ever have used in L items.

Full thread here.

Reactions: Mac
Back