Question: How much to accumulate before getting going?

iancampbell

Alpha
Society
Global Alliance
Christopher Chris Kinnison
Just what the thread title says. For many reasons, including being saddled with a RL business that has been severely affected by the "credit crunch", I can't afford to deposit - anything. Especially as I'm a Brit and the exchange rate is awful. So let's consider that subject closed, shall we? :rolleyes:

So far, I have managed to get my OJ's repaired, buy an Omegaton pistol and have a half-decayed (or so) Isis CB5 that I won in a noob event, along with a set of Pixie arms I never use. I also have an enmatter refiner, and that's important. Oh, and I have 7 PED. The seed corn was sweating, like everyone else's, and lately I've been making it easier (and more profitable) to sell the sweat by first making it into ME. (Yes, I am taking equipment decay into account.)

Skills? Well, Evade is good for my age (about 2 weeks ingame), but the only professions at 1 are Sweat Gatherer and BLP Pistoleer - I used up a free basic BLP (L) pistol earlier. Hunting loses money, at least at my current level of skill, and I am quite sure that crafting and mining would too - especially as I can't afford any failures right now. So, of course, that leaves trading.

I can manage to spot opportunities, I think. The question is quite simple, really. How much money is needed to really get started in it? And clues as to what sort of item would be a good idea to trade in would be welcomed, too.

One thing I already knew from RL (and it's even more so, I suspect, in EU, where living costs are zero) is that trading velocity just about always trumps margin as long as you have SOME margin. Correct here, or not?

I am posting this because continual sweating is driving me mad. If I can't find a way out of that particular grind, I might just quit. Which would be sad, because I like the concept of EU.

Sweat sweat sweat then sweat sweat sweat - look for fruit/stone maybe TI around the lake was good for me. just avoid the houses if it pops up on thier land u can not pick it up (happened 2 times to me fruit and Burkite)

I would collect no less than enough sweat to sell to get 25 ped for ammo, 50 ammo ped would be better imo. Then swunt when u hunt. the sweat will help to offset the cost of hunting and can be the difference from losing to breaking even. Will also make the hunt take longer so more fun.

Assuming your evade is low (not sure if you got full repaired armor) range is your best freind so shoot from as far away as possoble and walk backwards when doing that. Opalo may be better in range than pistol but costs more and more ammo so you got to weigh that out for yourself.

Get Nea's TP if you do not have already. always people around swamp and PA offering runs to take new players there.

If hunting is your skill and you going to sweat to make up losses in ammo I suggest 30-50 ped to start. Here is a great thread if your interested in doing it this way. https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/n00bs-corner/151494-my-swunting-experiment.html

An alternative method is to get 50 -100 ped and start buying and trading stuff to make a few extra ped. If you do it this way you have to make sure to set a mark and never fall below it though, say 50 ped to begin. That way you will have always have the money to trade for something if a good sale is saw.

Anyway you do it will be a grind and a challenge. Bust off luck to ya. ;)

Swunting is the way to go - be strict on yourself, sell things at MU when you can, spend the time to find a good sweat/ME buyer - make friends with them. :)

Keep track of your progress as you swunt, to make sure your sweat levels dont fall behind. The reason I have split my hunts up in the way I did was to emulate starting off with 40 PED, as well as to keep on top of my self. When doing a long 80 PED hunt it's easy to drop WELL behind in sweat. I have found that loot returns on average have been around 60-70%. When loot is being silly, go sweat/collect TPs/trade. Although I started off with 40 ped, it's possible to still do this with less, say 20 peds, though you will find it will be slower going at the start.

The reason I swunt at all is to skill up - I do not find hunting fun sadly. If I want good online FPS I can download Fear Combat for free. Focus on character development if you are like me, set goals. Occasionaly spend a little extra to make your character look cool. And of course make friends, do events. Social and ava development are the only fun things in this game I reckon (though some team hunts can be fun - but maybe that comes under social). GL!

Probably the easiest form of trading is to buy small amounts of resources (ore/enmatter/wools/hides etc) from other players at below market rate. Then save up enough of a resource to put it on auction at market rate. Seeing that the auction fees start at 0.5PED you need to save enough to make a profit. eg; if you buy something at 102% MU and sell on auction at 103% then you need to have 50PED of it just to break even.
Basically the less PEDs you have to start the slower it is going to be to build up. If you have 1000PED then you can buy almost any resource and build up multiple stacks and have constant turnover. If you only have 20 PED then you will be limited to buying small amounts of higher MU resources (>110%, buy at 105% or less) and thus limiting your market (90% of resources will be under 110%).

It can be done on less if you are careful and patient, but I would want at least 100PED to start with.

Gypsy

Last edited:
It looks like you already had a few free events under your belt, so keep that going obviously.

There have been a few mass hunts using opalo and 20 ped ammo, 2 out of 3 were profitable so far, but they target mobs that are capable of seriously nice loots (uber HOFs), which means that with 100 or so hunters sharing they are due a nice profit sometime soon...and they are always great fun which is the real point. I would sweat enough to get on the next one independent of whatever you do, it won't be far off now.

Trading requires patience and larger quantities ...there is a really good post here on EF by Hardwrath that is well worth reading, high detail from someone who talks sense.
https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...smart-making-most-your-ped-4.html#post1941292

It deals with 15 dollars a month depositer scenario, but can be adapted to suit anyone I think...if they have the patience and will to do it.

I'd certainly look down the back of the sofa, scrape 10 quid together and keep an eye on Ukash for a special offer for 1st deposits there, free guns etc come around with that method and are a nice item to trade if you don't use them.

GL

t

Back