Hunting High Vs Low on Skill Returns

AckerZ

Old Alpha
Society
Dirty Dingos
Anonymous AckerZ Anonymous
Is there a major difference in skill awards when hunting mobs with a high level Vs mobs with a low level.

Say you do 10,000 shots on punys and 10,000 shots on Mulcibers would the skill points awarded be roughly the same or would you get more for hunting at a higher level? (Excluding defence skills)

If so is it due to player damage output, cost per shot etc?

I haven't tested this for a long time so not sure if it's still accurate.

There's a skill bonus for a kill, so killing more mobs with the same number ped spent will give more skills (ie. more skills from smaller mobs). There was also a bonus for mobs with 50hp or less.

Therefore, killing lots of small mobs gives more skills per ped than a few big mobs. However, you'll get more skills per hour hunting big mobs as you can pump a hell of a lot more ped into them (assuming you have a big weapon), plus there's a lot less looting and running around.

There is something called HP/level . Less hp per level awards more skills.
Eg. Atrox hatchling L23 with 230 HP = 10 hp per level will give more skills when you cycle same amount of ped on Atrox Young L17 woth 990 HP = 58 hp per level

Like anything else in Entropia now, the skills you get are proportional to how much you spent, so yes, but this is more accurately determined by the amount you spend per shot of your weapon (or swing in the case of melee), and not the level of the mob (obviously, the higher the level of mob you kill, the stronger your weapon has to be).

I don't have the exact formula but it's a calculation using the amount you spent and how many points of that skill you already have. The more of that skill you have, the more you need to spend to continue to receive the same amount.

Hope that clarifies.

EDIT:

slither is correct that when the mob dies, you stand a chance to gain additional skills, so it's possible that more kills might result in more skills, but from my experience, the skills you get from hunting mobs that are much lower level are very small increments and generally not worth it.

This guy has done quite a bit of testing on this very question and I found his post most helpful when I stumbled upon it some time ago:

How Hunting Skill Gains Work

Last edited:
There is something called HP/level . Less hp per level awards more skills.
Eg. Atrox hatchling L23 with 230 HP = 10 hp per level will give more skills when you cycle same amount of ped on Atrox Young L17 woth 990 HP = 58 hp per level
This is interesting, any chance to get a source on that?

cheers for the other posts:hug:

This is interesting, any chance to get a source on that?

It's very measurable, that's what makes caraboks the best noob skilling mob in game with their L4/10hp (there are a couple of mobs that are better but the spawns are useless). I believe it was first time noticed back when caraboks where L10/10hp, was hard not to notice that.

This is the purpose of HP/Lvl column on the wiki. Unfortunally, on wiki you can see it only on mobs' pages so can compare only maturities, but there is a spreadsheet to sort all mobs (some mobs like L12 Wolf don't seem to exist anymore).

Go through this post OP broadly explains what i meant in my post :)

It's very measurable, that's what makes caraboks the best noob skilling mob in game with their L4/10hp (there are a couple of mobs that are better but the spawns are useless). I believe it was first time noticed back when caraboks where L10/10hp, was hard not to notice that.

This is the purpose of HP/Lvl column on the wiki. Unfortunally, on wiki you can see it only on mobs' pages so can compare only maturities, but there is a spreadsheet to sort all mobs (some mobs like L12 Wolf don't seem to exist anymore).

Thanks for this really helpful. Are there any calypso mobs that come close to this off the top of your head?

Merps are an excellent skilling mob on caly, 50 hp for a level 5 young. But yeah carabok are as good as it gets for skill gains per peds spent with great mob spawns. And Arkadias merp aka the Oro is better than merps with having a higher level at the same hp

Bingo the best skilling is small mobs with the correct HP/Lvl ratio and the other variable is High Mob regeneration. You just don't get kill bonuses from mobs but also these certain types of mobs will just have a way way higher skill multiplier as well from damaging them. This then amplifies the kill bonus even more.

Thanks I'll try out merps

When I started on Caly I leveled Melee on Merps the added benefit is they are aggressive which is very good for evader skills where Carabok don't offer that.

With that said as far as skilling goes on Caly Molisk are one of the best skilling mobs with high regen and good HP/Lvl ratio was happy to get Bronze done before it was removed. Of course other planets have the best skilling from mobs and why I have killed millions of small mobs doing missions. Why not cycle less and get more skills is the way I look at it. I am a skill/mission junkie though and use certain professions on certain mobs to go for unlocks or the skills I need for HP.

Last edited:
Thanks for this really helpful. Are there any calypso mobs that come close to this off the top of your head?
Exarosaur young and mature is actually pretty close. Merp is also good as mentioned. A LOT better however is the Arret on Cyrene. 20 hp, L5.

A LOT better however is the Arret on Cyrene. 20 hp, L5.

Yea they are definitely good for some cross skilling the only problem is no mission reward at this time. I like to factor in the reward into skills per hour as well when determining mob grinding. This is why I ended up grinding Oro on Ark a long time ago. It's really easy to finish Stage 6 repeatable mission for 12 ped rifle reward and that adds up quickly with all the other skills so it's been a recommendation I use for ppl to fast track laser unlocks. I've done it 17 times back in the day working on cross skilling and unlocks. Now however I look more towards attribute rewards on good skill mobs which is where you will head after your skilling path is near complete.

So my main focus is most skills per hour when skilling and the reward can be a factor if it's easy or high PED value.

Like anything else in Entropia now, the skills you get are proportional to how much you spent

Felt like spending a moment on just this statement which is an old highly inaccurate thought. Not your fault just what many players thought before skill lines became transparent and we could see down to the decimal what we are gaining.

First the skills are in the mob, so the characteristics of the mob will reward skills accordingly not the PED spent. As mentioned HP/Lvl ratio and Regen affect this. Doesn't matter if you spend 1 ped a shot of 1 pec. You are going to generate a skill line it will have a base value or multiplier dependent on the actual mob. Spending more PED with a bigger gun won't reward you more skills on that mob it will only yield you the potential for more kills per hour thus being able to net more kill bonuses or make better use of skill pills. So before skill lines became transparent it was an illusion that PED spent generated more skills. The mob gives the skills the weapon only allows for faster potential farming. So you must find a mob that yields the best skills if your focus is on skills then determine your kill rate/pills etc....

Works the same way for defensive skills the skills are actually in the mob and it's more clear with this. There are a set number of defensive skills a mob has to offer and this has been tested many times. Once the mob is dry of defensive skills then NO ONE can get skills on it. The mob has no more skills to offer. This is why suicide skilling was destroyed with death timers ( that was so much fun ) and miss doing that when bored and thinking on what to skill next. However multiple players would state when defensive skills stopped on a Mulciber since it was now DRY so we knew to turret it and we could pull a new one if you were doing it in teams.

I do understand why an effort was made to change suicide skilling because imagine going to hunt a mob and someone already got all the defensive skills from it and never turreted them. The mob is just there dry of skills. Which sucks for the hunter killing dry mobs.

Knowing this if for some strange reason someone almost killed a mob let it regenerate, almost killed it again let it regenerate eventually it will stop giving skills for everyone. It only has so many skills to offer. The skills we get from mobs is completely dependent on the actual mob....what the player spends won't change the skills it has to offer.

Last edited:
Say you do 10,000 shots on punys and 10,000 shots on Mulcibers would the skill points awarded be roughly the same or would you get more for hunting at a higher level? (Excluding defence skills)
Ped based

Ped based

Nope, tested this.
Killing merp young for 100ped gave me more then twice the skill of killing kerberos.
The codex is the same, but some mobs have a hidden skill bonus or something similar.

I haven't it fully tested yet, but I suspect that their is a curve when you use bigger weapons. A 100dmg per shot weapon won't give you 10x the skill per skillgain compared to a 10 dmg per shot weapon.

If you want cheap skilling, you should shoot merp or phasm pup. If you want very expensive skilling shoot kerberos.

I don't think it is fully HP/LVL based either, unless merp and punies are a fluke. Although it is somewhat HP/lvl based.
I noticed that the higher lvl drones from the gauntlet which have the same stats otherwise compared to the variants in the wild, give indeed better gains.

That being said, if you want to skill fast, you prolly want to shoot some decent mobs instead of shooting merp young all day. While skills per ped is going to lower, skills per hour is going to be higher. And you won't die of boredom.

Nope, tested this.
Im just saying the the skill gained is based on peds spent, not shots.

If he said peds, I would of said that mulciber have more dodge and give more skills.

P.S. It explain what you saw. Kerb evade/dodge is terrible.

Back