Impact of Scanning Robots on Skills

Korin Dante MDe

Prowler
I see on Twitch stream some players are scanning robots and killing them. What kind of impact does scanning robots makes in skill gains and how is scanning robots and then killing them is beneficial?

It's mostly to try and get extra skills towards robot looter profession, as it's usually the last of the 3 to level up to 100.

Can I do this with mobs also?

Yeah you can scan mutants and animals to boost those looter professions as well. It can be tedious at times but any little bit helps.

Don’t worry about scanning until you hit level 30 in the looter profession first, as this unlocks Xenobiology/robotology which is a looting skill that is only gained by scanning.

Back in the day skill gain from scanning was useful for loot returns. You could scan for an hour long range, then go out hunting and get some decent returns. The ped was soon loat again, but it was one of those things that worked with low budgets to stay active hunting 24/7.

You can't auto scan the same mob anymore (been like that for years now). The skill drops from scanning 'once' became so poor, it simply wasn't worth the effort for me.

Pretty sure alot of what was understeer hood, no longer applies in todays game. A hangover from the past.

Reparing kind of replaced scanning as a method to boost loots returns. But even that had its day with loot effect. Then harvesting trees had a time in the sun, although that was no where near as good as scanning or mothership repairing.

Codex, and looter skill replaced all of that now. Something will replace that down the line, to kind of reset the players again haha.

Rick.

Back in the day skill gain from scanning was useful for loot returns. You could scan for an hour long range, then go out hunting and get some decent returns. The ped was soon loat again, but it was one of those things that worked with low budgets to stay active hunting 24/7.

You can't auto scan the same mob anymore (been like that for years now). The skill drops from scanning 'once' became so poor, it simply wasn't worth the effort for me.

Pretty sure alot of what was understeer hood, no longer applies in todays game. A hangover from the past.

Reparing kind of replaced scanning as a method to boost loots returns. But even that had its day with loot effect. Then harvesting trees had a time in the sun, although that was no where near as good as scanning or mothership repairing.

Codex, and looter skill replaced all of that now. Something will replace that down the line, to kind of reset the players again haha.

Rick.
back in the days scanning skills were just to enter in some society that requested certain amount of skills, after few incidents all societies requested certain amount of skills with no scanning counted.

Btw if you scan a mob, the decay of scanner is returned in loot?

back in the days scanning skills were just to enter in some society that requested certain amount of skills, after few incidents all societies requested certain amount of skills with no scanning counted.

Btw if you scan a mob, the decay of scanner is returned in loot?

Yes & you get codex when scaning

Yeah you can scan mutants and animals to boost those looter professions as well. It can be tedious at times but any little bit helps.

Don't forget to also scan humans, and kill them after

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes & you get codex when scaning

Don't forget to also scan humans, and kill them after
Turret testing does not return shrapnel after scanning, so it is debatable that it comes back in loot, maybe in the bonus loot pool. But definitely counts for codex yes.

Reactions: Mac
Turret testing does not return shrapnel after scanning, so it is debatable that it comes back in loot, maybe in the bonus loot pool. But definitely counts for codex yes.
Can you explain this more, I'm out of the loop on turret testing for shrapnel, and what you mean by "counts for codex" I hunt low level drones every once in a while when I'm bored, I scan every one before I kill it, tag, scan, kill, for skills. Can't remember what my looter prof is but I think I get those extra ones you mentioned. I'd have to check.

Can you explain this more, I'm out of the loop on turret testing for shrapnel, and what you mean by "counts for codex" I hunt low level drones every once in a while when I'm bored, I scan every one before I kill it, tag, scan, kill, for skills. Can't remember what my looter prof is but I think I get those extra ones you mentioned. I'd have to check.
If you pump ped into a mob and turret it you get back 75% of the costs. As we can force a loot return at will, we use this to single out certain tools and make sure they are added to our loot return out in the field. For example, you may remember that the Cyrene HEART fap was bugged and did not return their costs in loot, we discovered this by turret testing. It has since been fixed. Scanning can be tested in the same method and no shrapnel is paid back from scanning costs.

Codex is simply a cost based system, it doesn't care if you get a loot return or not, if you spend money on a mob, it adds codex progression. For example if you get kill stolen, codex will still add the costs that you incurred, but you wont be getting any of the loot back from it.

Xenobiology/Robotology are only gained by scanning, so it's worth doing if you have the time and want to build those skills. but if you want generic animal/mutant looter skills you will have a better time cutting trees IMO. If you are just wanting to gain your looter, do trees first, until you start to bottleneck on analysis, then scan for the Xeno/Robo skills.

Oh and be prepared for a long slog. Scanning skill gains are slow as shit. And don't scan the same mob twice.

Last edited:
If you pump ped into a mob and turret it you get back 75% of the costs. As we can force a loot return at will, we use this to single out certain tools and make sure they are added to our loot return out in the field. For example, you may remember that the Cyrene HEART fap was bugged and did not return their costs in loot, we discovered this by turret testing. It has since been fixed. Scanning can be tested in the same method and no shrapnel is paid back from scanning costs.

Codex is simply a cost based system, it doesn't care if you get a loot return or not, if you spend money on a mob, it adds codex progression. For example if you get kill stolen, codex will still add the costs that you incurred, but you wont be getting any of the loot back from it.

Xenobiology/Robotology are only gained by scanning, so it's worth doing if you have the time and want to build those skills. but if you want generic animal/mutant looter skills you will have a better time cutting trees IMO. If you are just wanting to gain your looter, do trees first, until you start to bottleneck on analysis, then scan for the Xeno/Robo skills.

Oh and be prepared for a long slog. Scanning skill gains are slow as shit. And don't scan the same mob twice.
Excellent, tyvm for that explanation! I might go cut trees when I am done with my drone 1 mission, I bought a tt tree cutter years ago and I think I used it once, I'll have to figure out where trees are to cut, that's just the kind of low level time spend I'm looking for sometimes. :)

Rick.
I think the reason why they changed scanning as it used to work, to the new system was due to it was quite easy
to "exploit" the system by doing just that, scanning a lot and then enter an event that was based on highest loot
and grab a decent loot at the start of the event. Same for crafting, could also boost loot in events.
We mentioned this for MA and not that long after they "killed" scanning.

I just scan to get odd science gains and analysis skill always intrigued me from description, is my low cost hobby. :D

Would be good if could find any trees to cut down.

Search and you will find ;) more then enough decent areas for cutting trees.

Cutting trees suuucks you would think it's not any different than anything else ingame point a tool and autouse get loot and skills etc but its sooo boring i think even sweating is more exciting.

According to Wiki ANIMAL LOOTER PROFESSION
GROWS with exp in certain skills:

This is the table, i colored some zones for better understanfing:
YELLOW: Grow automatically , you just need to hunt animals and will get them from system
GREEN: are THE ONES that "Thou shalt pick from Codex reward" to speed up looter profession
the se have most relevant percent controbution to the Looter.
META: Intelligence is best pick for looter return BUT its impact is very lo
CUTTING TREES: Zoology, Biology, analysis is rewarded
Codex Type 4: Analysis is rewarded (almost all caly robots creatures and many animals (the bigger ones, i recall leviathan and Daspletors)
Scanning: Slow increase but in rare skills, xenobiology, analysis, zoology, biology

All the above mixed and added up helps to skill Animal looter profession faster but... as skinning alone contributes 35% to the profession, top activity to skill Animal looter.... is to KIll animals......

index.php

Last edited:
Cutting trees suuucks you would think it's not any different than anything else ingame point a tool and autouse get loot and skills etc but its sooo boring i think even sweating is more exciting.

Interesting, Harvesting is one of my favorite professions and hope they build on it. (although the addition to looter was nice) I'm also a skiller so enjoy the wide variety of great skills. It's the repair skilling of planet.

CUTTING TREES: Zoology, Biology, analysis

Would like to add that Harvesting (Resource Gathering) accounts for 31% of the Looter profession in skills. So if you haven't harvested you can raise your looter profession with cutting trees alone. When looter came out my animal looter was ahead of some far more seasoned hunters due to all my early skilling.

Since you do get: Perception, Alertness, Dex, Zoology, Biology, Analysis, Intel.

Interesting, Harvesting is one of my favorite professions and hope they build on it. (although the addition to looter was nice) I'm also a skiller so enjoy the wide variety of great skills. It's the repair skilling of planet.

Would like to add that Harvesting (Resource Gathering) accounts for 31% of the Looter profession in skills. So if you haven't harvested at all you can raise your looter profession with cutting trees alone.

Since you do get: Perception, Alertness, Dex, Zoology, Biology, Analysis, Intel.
Great, any particular place you could recommend people go to start cutting trees? I remember (what seems like a long time ago) there were not many places around to be able to do it, and the respawn rate was very low, so it just wasn't something you could effectively grind, maybe that has changed?

Great, any particular place you could recommend people go to start cutting trees? I remember (what seems like a long time ago) there were not many places around to be able to do it, and the respawn rate was very low

For some odd reason MA removed the best harvesting spot on Caly and just completely changed the landscape. You could just grind trees. Then there is a bug where they never fixed the glowing orb to detect trees. Which is annoying since that is a buff for the 2016 xmas ring and now it doesn't work. Then they changed the distinction of being able to visibly see harvestable trees at Fort Argus. They were green when all non harvestable trees were red.

Not sure why any of this has happened but feel like MA doesn't want me to harvest on Caly :unsure: so I don't. RT is by far the best place to harvest, although since Toulan added harvesting and actual BP's for materials they apparently added more dense trees. (haven't tested much there on it yet or the new spots) Just want to thank the Toulan team for caring about a great profession and hope they add more BP's.

So don't waste your time harvesting on Caly till MA fixes stuff. Just do it on better planets like RT and Toulan.

For some odd reason MA removed the best harvesting spot on Caly and just completely changed the landscape. You could just grind trees. Then there is a bug where they never fixed the glowing orb to detect trees. Which is annoying since that is a buff for the 2016 xmas ring and now it doesn't work. Then they changed the distinction of being able to visibly see harvestable trees at Fort Argus. They were green when all non harvestable trees were red.

Not sure why any of this has happened but feel like MA doesn't want me to harvest on Caly :unsure: so I don't. RT is by far the best place to harvest, although since Toulan added harvesting and actual BP's for materials they apparently added more dense trees. (haven't tested much there on it yet or the new spots) Just want to thank the Toulan team for caring about a great profession and hope they add more BP's.

So don't waste your time harvesting on Caly till MA fixes stuff. Just do it on better planets like RT and Toulan.
TYVM! I don't get around much, not a fan of space travel since they changed how my old hanger worked to take me to the crystal palace, this might be a reason to do some.

Back