Is it Safe?

Moocow

Alpha
Society
Temporal Destinies
James Moocow Holder
Hello everybody, today I want to talk about EU and its security.

A while back i got a 12k allophyl hof, I'm sure you have seen the pictures and such...yaddah yaddah... anyway, out of that 12k, i chose to withdraw 6k peds into my bank account.

I put in for the withdrawl around march first or so, and I got a confirmation e-mail saying that I had requested 590$ and that they "strive to get all withdrawls handled within 14 days"

Well a month later i had still not gotten my money, so I sent a support cause asking what was taking so long. I got a repy saying i would get my peds in 2-3 days.

Well in 3 days i think it was, i got a "Wire Feed" into my bank account, for 565$, 25$ less than i brought out, but i didnt want to haggle with MA about it, because it would just be a fiasco. The bank charged me 10$ to get the damn money as well, so in all i got 555$

I got my money and a week later i got a call from "Risk Management", a guy told me someone in Pennsylvania was making charges to my account, and i needed to shut off my card and get a new debit card.

Now thats my story, why the hell does it take 2 seconds to deposit, but a month to get it out? and what good is a gold card (I have one) for account security if someone ultimately steals your info anyway? Has this happend to any of you? or something along the lines of it?

Please tell :(

Here's my two pecs.... although I can't say anything for sure

I'm more than sure MA have nothing to do with the Pennsylvania Incident

I have withdrawn without fuss and I believe the withdrawal process to be very secure.

I would question your own systems security, and heres a question...

how often do you enter your bank / debit card details online, and did you think that it could be another source ?

just a thought... :):)

Withdrawal take a bit longer, since MA has to do a check for fraud etc.
The %off is the cost that the banks are charging for international wiretransfers.

The call you got from Risc Management has nothing to do with EU, Maybe you used your Visa card on an untrusted website?

the only place i use my vise is on EU, and in Real life, i have never ordered anything else online with it, which leads me to believe that when i withdrew from MA, somebody was able to get my card info.

When i talked to the banker, the guy told me someone had "duplicated my card" and was charging things to my account.

Thanks for the Replies guys :D

Hopefully this will change now when MA is there own banking company.

EDITED:
the only place i use my vise is on EU, and in Real life, i have never ordered anything else online with it, which leads me to believe that when i withdrew from MA, somebody was able to get my card info.

When i talked to the banker, the guy told me someone had "duplicated my card" and was charging things to my account.

That sounds like someone had scimmed your card IRL. It's easy for anyone to use the mobile camera to get your card number and the code on the backside and then use it on the intenet. Newer let your eyes leave the card when you use it.

But i live in the midwest, nowhere near Pennsylvania, how did they get my info then?

And it cant be just a coincidence it was after i got my withdraw can it?

Took me almost 2 month to widrow 15k.

But no problems all money arived no extra charge from no one.

I was scared at the time becose someone could deposit 30k peds if he wanted (once the CC is activated) but i feel safe now they need GC code to play whith youre account.:)

On avreage card you are covered up to 5k $ in case off fraude read youre contract.

GOLD cards are covered up to 30k $

there are two criminals involved in this case, one that copied your card, and another that bought the creditcard-details and used it to buy stuff. Possibly the address in pensylvania is a fake or drop-address.

scimming is not a person.. often a network and yu can sell ID's, cards and a whole lot more

need to add:

extra costs can be avoided IF YOU provide BIC/IBAN codes
afaik.
Did you do that?

Its a good theory, but is it because of the withdrawl i made from MA? or from something else?

Its a good theory, but is it because of the withdrawl i made from MA? or from something else?

Its for Sure 100% somthing else your card details have been stolen and used.

Ma wont have anything to do with it

someone had "duplicated my card" and was charging things to my account.

I would definately say this is due to something IRL and nothing to do with MA. There are so many ways your information can be discovered/stolen and I was going to state a few but it may give people some ideas :D

The question to ask yourself is : where did i used my CC in real life in the prior days ?

RL is well more engineered to steal your CC info as they are manipulating it for real and have access directly to the info... Any dumb 16years+ old person can do it with a duplicater slot and a 40$ wifi button-size camera placed just at the rightplace...

Virtually: harder to do, need alot of knowledge ... would mean they stole it online, hacked the database, if thats the case it would mean there serious hacker cause banking/wire database usually well protected. Especially if u never ever used your CC on something else than MA site... would mean them or third party are compromised, could happen, but OUCH! really not likely to be seen...

Not to mention that... A hacker attacking such institution are usually "dead" from bounty's before the FBI reach them... or their contractor made sure there no traceback to them... :cool:

What is a bic/iban

extra costs can be avoided IF YOU provide BIC/IBAN codes
afaik.
Did you do that?
I'm fairly sure BIC/IBAN does not exist here in the States? If it does, what is it, how do you get it, and how can you use it with MA to get rid of the international fees?

The only Bic I know of is used to light cigarettes. Yes, international fees do burn holes in your checking account, but I think you must be talking about something else?

And it cant be just a coincidence it was after i got my withdraw can it?

Yes it can.

Coincidence is a powerful clue towards causality and we are hard-wired to notice it. In some cases though we just have to admit that it was just coincidence and not related to causality.

Many people have withdrawn and had no problems. Many people who never heard of MA deal with card fraud daily. I think if MA was in any way linked to this kind of fraud evidence would have surfaced in another case as well.

There's nothing wrong with noticing the coincidence and suspecting causality. It's good you did mention it here. I hope that anyone who suspected fraud would try to share the information and that's why I think their is no other evidence of a connection. When there are no other cases reported to corroborate a pattern, it only makes sense to admit it was just a coincidence.

It sounds like your card company hasn't suspected you as being involved in defrauding them. That's a good thing at least. :)
These days it seems so many credit institutions are holding the customer responsible for frauds that the institution itself should be safeguarding against. :(

I have had this happen to me many years ago (but well before EU even existed i beleive)

I have also seen it many times when i was working for one of the international banks.

Usually it was due to one of the 'scams' mentioned above, in my case is was due to the well known scam that used to happen in alot of stores/restaurants (card was scanned, finger pad dusted or fitted with camera... copied card/details used to buy a bunch of things in all sorts of strange places in the world ;))

So no, I don't think it was related to EU in any way.

The reduced funds are due to international transfer/risk/processing fees as mentioned above (yes it would be good if this was clearer in the withdrawal process so concerns as expressed by the OP are avoided)

Newer let your eyes leave the card when you use it.
:wise:

Cheers,

Aly

Last edited:

Hi This is something that sadly became VERY common i Europe. Some gangs installs a Phishing device in an ATM machine, very often you cant tell thats a fake if your not VERY cautious. Your are able to withdraw from the ATM as usual, BUT that phisihing device stores ALL the cards data so the gang are able to duplicate your card. That in combination with a webcam or a digitial videocam from across the street and the bastards even manage to get your pincode. This is one explanation to what happend with your pennsylvania incident. This shit happend to me twice :S Once week before xmas . Was VERY fun to have explain what happend to my bank but got a happy ending at least. I dont belive for a second that this attempt has anything to do with your withdrawal from EU. Hope everything worked out for you and GL to you both in game and with that RL banking prob.

I've heard of people that are able to essentially "crack" the card companies account codes and are able generate a valid account number. They could've gotten your number this way.

Those people are a scary bunch...

cc issues

yep it is very easy to skim it irl even when you are watching them handle it. I have never had a problem with eu security. Id say you are more secure on eu than swiping your card at a gas pump. Yes it takes a while to get withdraw hopefully the new mind bank will resolve that issue.

Back