Is success in mining tied to geographic location?

91corvette

Hatchling
I have so many stories about where and even when to mine for best results. From a business perspective I can not see MA structuring things in this way. Another theory is that it is all chance with your luck increasing based on implants and amount of PED spent on tools.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

MA/FPC/planet partner places per server or per area the parameters for ores/enmatter finds. So there are areas where you will never find some specific minerals that are very common on other areas.

But for the rest of the theories I agree: MA would be stupid to implement things like veigns, patterns etc.

Reason:
As soon as there is a logic behind it, sooner or later someone will find it and will make too much profit.

Example:
If you play roulette, it's made that the bank always wins (in the long run), no matter how you play. i think everybody agrees with me on that.

Still there are so many ppl in the world who play roulette "with a system" because they think, it increaes their chances.

So the best way is to make it randomly and just make the chances in a way that you (the company) win always in the long term. The more complex logic you implement, the higher are your costs, the higher are your risks and it doesn't increase your income... so why do it?

Well if each drop was random then you could do an entire run with out moving. I tried this with 100probes, standing in place with auto use on. No finds, so it's not completely random :)

Well if each drop was random then you could do an entire run with out moving. I tried this with 100probes, standing in place with auto use on. No finds, so it's not completely random :)

i think your the first person (as far as i know) who actually was willing to try this. there was a lot of theory's on this but i don't think anyone was ever willing to spend the ped for a test.:woot: :)

as for veins and such, there actually used to be a system like this, before they changed mining. before the instantly find claim, you used to get a claim signal, you would have to get very close to a find and then you would receive a claim to the resource. back then if you didn't manage to stake the claim you could re probe/bomb to try finding it again. also during this time multiple people could find the same claim and the first to get close would claim it.

and before this, which was before i joined the game, not only did you have to get close but you had to stand ontop of it and hit the print button on your finder to get the claim.

Spots you've mined already are blacklisted for a while - dozends of test prove that, just use search before you waste your peds on trying it again. :silly2:

lol from all examples you bring gambling again

MA/FPC/planet partner places per server or per area the parameters for ores/enmatter finds. So there are areas where you will never find some specific minerals that are very common on other areas.

But for the rest of the theories I agree: MA would be stupid to implement things like veigns, patterns etc.

Reason:
As soon as there is a logic behind it, sooner or later someone will find it and will make too much profit.

Example:
If you play roulette, it's made that the bank always wins (in the long run), no matter how you play. i think everybody agrees with me on that.

Still there are so many ppl in the world who play roulette "with a system" because they think, it increaes their chances.

So the best way is to make it randomly and just make the chances in a way that you (the company) win always in the long term. The more complex logic you implement, the higher are your costs, the higher are your risks and it doesn't increase your income... so why do it?

i think your the first person (as far as i know) who actually was willing to try this. there was a lot of theory's on this but i don't think anyone was ever willing to spend the ped for a test.:woot: :)

Woot I was the first to try something in this game :) My theory on this was people who say they could double bomb an area and find a resource in the same area. So I figured that it could mean that each search is random so sometime in June I gave it a shot :) In my opinion it did disprove the skill gains mining theory since I did gain skills doing it :)

Woot I was the first to try something in this game :) My theory on this was people who say they could double bomb an area and find a resource in the same area. So I figured that it could mean that each search is random so sometime in June I gave it a shot :) In my opinion it did disprove the skill gains mining theory since I did gain skills doing it :)

hmm no you where not quite the first one... and a little search on forum could've shown you that. :laugh:
(and save you 50ped)
However I like the way you expand your result to the skill based mining theory. very interestning.
Then again there is a reason why legion made his infamous I hate miners post. :D

For me the thing that finally showed me that the skill gains theory was BS was when I droped bombs in an area where there was 0 chance of finding any claims (zomhattan). Got a lot of skill gains and 0 claims.

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...89518-Mining-in-zomhattan&highlight=zomhattan

To answer the OP, geography is everything in mining. Knowing the location of the good stuff (and having the tools/skills to find it) is THE most important thing if you want to succeed.

markup markup markup is the name of the game

I understand that certain minerals may be found in certain terrain (although I would think that if this is the case there would be a chart somewhere online detailing which types of terrain support which types of ore/enmatter). The more specific question I have is the idea of veins or pockets of minerals. Let me explain.

About one week in I accidentally set off a charge while being chased in the middle of the wilderness. I found an unknown source on a hill and thought I would come back to it later as I did not have an excavator. I did not know these things expired. I checked the next day and I still had the claim. Another day later it expired (About 2 days after initial discovery). Now I know that find must have been somewhere between plentiful and extremely large (http://www.entropiaplanets.com/wiki/Mining) and am considering going back and looking for it but don't want to waste my time if it is just a crap shoot based on the odds as opposed to fixed resources in fixed geographic locations.

As stated before:
no veigns, no patterns on mining finds. This means: if your spot expired, it will not appear at exact the same position (it might happen due to random luck, but it's more than unlikely).

We should conduct a test where 100 people drop a probe in the same area at once, and see if more than 1-2 people find something.

We should conduct a test where 100 people drop a probe in the same area at once, and see if more than 1-2 people find something.

That would be interesting if produced different results then my 100probe drop. Of coarse everyone would need the same finder.

Now I know that find must have been somewhere between plentiful and extremely large

What's your avatar name?

If you got any claim larger than 50 PED you would have globalled, which would show up on entropiatracker.

I have so many stories about where and even when to mine for best results. From a business perspective I can not see MA structuring things in this way. Another theory is that it is all chance with your luck increasing based on implants and amount of PED spent on tools.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Interpreting this in a very basic way .....

Yes, there are particular areas where you are going to get more hits than elsewhere.

There are fields with certain resource sets within thosd fields. In the past some fields used to respawn fast while others a bit more slowly. Variables change when you move through the field, equipment types, and skill levels. Also your own avatar cycle and the system cycle play an important part in hit frequency IMHO. There used to be veins these days they are just a little more complex IMO. I think when you get a high hit rate its a dense spawn lots of times double bombing works well other times the spawn is sparse. To me mining resources spawn maybe not the type or amount but some type of locator to be found. Mobs are hunting locators and I think mining is similar we just dont visually see the locator until its picked up by the detector.

All you can do is to make your bombs/probes count.

1. Don't double bomb. This advise should be taken with a grain of salt as double bombing will often result in a hit, assuming your firth bomb also hit something of course, but in theory, not double bombing at all will ensure the highest hit rate.

2. Markup is what pays your bills. For obvious reason, and I don't care what Legion or anyone else say, you'll consistently profit or even break even on TT value, as this would be bad businesses for MA and the planet partners, however, the markup if paid for by the EU participants, not involving MA or the planet partners and this is the reason that it's possible to consistently profit mining.

So how is it done? Simple, you need to know where to find the expensive stuff and this knowledge comes a little at the time or with experience to be blunt. Some stuff you need better finders and thus more skills to find

Keeping track of it all isn't easy, at least I don't think so, which is why people have created various kind of programs to help. One of them is the one you see in my signature, another is entropia locations and I'm sure there's more.

3. Don't use amps, at least not before you know exactly what you're doing. Sure, it's fun to buy a big amp once in a while and use it on the asteroid or likewise, but it is like a lottery ticked. You can win, but you shouldn't expect to.

http://www.playmmo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8266
Various items are more common at various times. All items can be found in PE, at any time.
so, the possibility of finding any ores anywhere might be possible...

However...

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...-to-be-a-PoE&p=1676879&viewfull=1#post1676879
There will be only 15 sets of POE armor rewarded in this event. Each player can collect 1 or more if he/she has the parts needed.

that's not really true as there are many items that can only be found at certain times in certain places... but that still does not mean it's not possible to find something rare somewhere you'd not expect it (probably random with the percentage being much less in certain locations)

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...-Update-10.5&p=2205311&highlight=#post2205311
Flattery will get you everywhere! ,-)

hmm..... maybe cookies can get you better finds?

http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/11402
Everything is available for a price.

so... places like pvp might just have better ores as your cost is increasing as you mine.

If anyone has any free time. Can you mine this area and tell me what you get? (33822, 29619, 102) I think there is some HoF in the region.

I understand that certain minerals may be found in certain terrain (although I would think that if this is the case there would be a chart somewhere online detailing which types of terrain support which types of ore/enmatter). The more specific question I have is the idea of veins or pockets of minerals.

Yes, there are poorly documented ones on the mining forum, might wanna check the stickies there. Some players (like me) construct their own, private charts.

Let me explain.About one week in I accidentally set off a charge while being chased in the middle of the wilderness. I found an unknown source on a hill and thought I would come back to it later as I did not have an excavator. I did not know these things expired. I checked the next day and I still had the claim. Another day later it expired (About 2 days after initial discovery). Now I know that find must have been somewhere between plentiful and extremely large (http://www.entropiaplanets.com/wiki/Mining) and am considering going back and looking for it but don't want to waste my time if it is just a crap shoot based on the odds as opposed to fixed resources in fixed geographic locations.

I've had a tiny claim survive 4 hours (i was offline), possibly the bug may be related.

Deposits are not "in the ground", this was the case prior to the cry engine but not anymore. This means that a deposit which has vanished can not be reclaimed, same as failing to loot a mob.

To avoid problems like the one described above, avoid dropping bombs/probes very close to monsters you can't kill. A logic step in mining is to divert initial profits to buying a sleipnir which can help you circumvent such problems and many many others including the server-change mining bug.

Back