Question: Laptop running EU badly

kintoo

Alpha
Me again :)

My new desktop PC broke yesterday so I "borrowed" my girlfriends laptop, The laptop seems to have the spec for EU (All green ticks on launcher) so why if I try to run the game in anything other than full safe mode I only seem to get 5-10 FPS?

The laptop is a HP G61-110SA
Windows 7
4GB RAM

The graphics card is a bit crap (See below) but my lappy should run on medium setting surly?
Any suggestions on how to get a bit of an improvement

Short version is, not much you can do.

That's not a "gaming type" of discreet graphics card. It works well for displaying text and using very low power. Notice the video card only has 64Mb ram and the rest it "borrows" from slower system memory.

It won't handle much over windows and solitaire. Sorry.

My wife and I are both using HP Pavalion tx2500 series tablets which also have lower end grafics, the way we put our settings is to start in safe mode, then turn avatars up to medium once in the game. This allows for acceptable frame rate without the pretty graphics, but the avatars and colors/textures are still visible.

narfi

grafik card must be better. sorry to say but MA made it for gaming PCs

Short version is, not much you can do.

That's not a "gaming type" of discreet graphics card. It works well for displaying text and using very low power. Notice the video card only has 64Mb ram and the rest it "borrows" from slower system memory.

It won't handle much over windows and solitaire. Sorry.

Thought as much, oh well it will at least run the game until I get mine repaired at the weekend. Cheers :)

grafik card must be better. sorry to say but MA made it for gaming PCs

I have got mit running now at a reasonable rate, I turned graphics to medium and set shadows, draw distance and water detail to safe mode and it seems to like it a bit better :)

I had horrible results with my radeon 8600M GT graphic card, but then in december new drivers came, and its like 400% better now, also MA continualy improve the game to run better with more cards.

yep...

Yep, even a dual core x64 laptop with a halfway graphics seems to screw up on occassion. I usually set Texture Quality on Max, set texture slider all the way to the right, and then either set object or avatar quality to medium at the most and leave everything else in safe mode... and even that doesn't always work since I get kicked off of the game just for standing in PA or Twin - which I'm guessing is due to server lag. Less crowded places seem to be fine though.

The Intel GMA 4500 is not a gaming level laptop GPU by any description. My girlfriend just bought an Asus (since I have one which I love), but got a $500 model with the GMA 4500 and the most modern game it can run WELL is Counter Strike: Source - far from the CryEngine2. Heck - I'm amazed that you can get it to run at all on that laptop, so be glad that you can.

If you decide to replace your broken desktop with a laptop, you may want to consider the Asus G-series laptops. In a warranty company study, Asus had the best life expectancy of all laptops. Take that and add in the fact that Asus is the designer and manufaturer of all their laptops (as opposed to most major brands which use barebones made by other manufacturers and then add their branding) and you also get a better price because the middle-man markup isn't there. Sorry for the shameless plug, but I've owned Dells, Gateways, and Asus' and Asus has more than earned my money (the Dells weren't bad, but they are much more expensive for what you get - I gave Gateway two goes... I'll be polite and not post my feelings about those laptops).

For anyone running on a laptop with an Nvidia discreet card - try using the modified Dox Optimized 185.85 driver - you will lose points on benchmark utilities, but you will gain actual in-game performance. Just run a Google search and you will find them. I'm using that driver on my 9800M GS and EU runs silky smooth.

Back