Question: Lasers&Scopes bonus on general skills?

Angel O2 Mercer

Marauder
Society
Rangers
Angel O2 Mercer
Hi,

I was wondering if lasers/scopes give skill bonus on general skills, like anatomy, or only on the profession of the gun (laser/blp, rifle/pistol, ranged damage, etc..).

Thanks.

Last edited:
From my own experience they give a boost to every single skill that is gained through mob interaction. You don't have to believe me, but defence is included. The only profession that is not boosted is for healing exception to the rule being anatomy since its also a wep skill. Boost on general skills? Yes.

My guess is that they only affect the Hit Profession skills. I'm basing this on the observation that while scopes do appear to increase your hit rate, they do not affect your damage interval.

I also think that the skill bonus is marginal, much in the same way that sib is.

If I remember correctly the skill bonus is a new parameter that was added to the attachments (I don't remember it being there the last time I played).

I suspect MA introduced the skill bonus to draw attention away from the REAL benefit, which is the Skill Modification percentage (notice how all the new attachments have high skill bonus and low skill mod?).

I think this was one of the factors affecting the price-crash of the old-time scopes and lasers, although they still offer the best skill mod per pec.

Well, at least to me, having SIB on a weapon makes a big difference on skill gains. That's why I was wondering about the general skills, anybody else has something to share here before I decide not to invest on any laser/scope? xD

I skilled a lot this past year to lv 44 hit not because I was hunting a lot, though I obviously was. But I firmly believe it was down to me using Jzar/Hunnirs relentlessly since before lv 20 hit & I've never used anything higher than an Isis LR41 L. So I've past a few people who've played longer. So having them on definately does give a bonus to my skills whether general or beyond. Try it yourself & see the results.

Last edited:
Too bad we don't have guys like Witte anymore to actually test it properly. Scopes and lasers didn't do jackshit in the old system, and while they appear to change something on a weapon now, it's still not entirely clear what this something actually leads to.
Obviously they give more skillgain, because more decay is more skillgain.

Maybe some of the hardcore hunters here could test it? Do a hunt without attachments and track Anatomy skill gains, then do the same hunt (in PED value) on the same Mobs but this time with both laser and scope and track Anatomy gains.

Or... you think the results could be just random and laser/scopes are useless for general skills? or is this another secret kept by ubers and/or MA? :D

Too bad we don't have guys like Witte anymore to actually test it properly. Scopes and lasers didn't do jackshit in the old system, and while they appear to change something on a weapon now, it's still not entirely clear what this something actually leads to.

Thats the only thing we know for sure, skills its linked to decay:wise:

Thats the only thing we know for sure, skills its linked to decay:wise:

Then H400 sould give you way less skills than cb19, or sweating naked should give you no skills - and that's not the case.

I have done tests, see my thread here https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...-Hunting-Log&p=2918659&viewfull=1#post2918659

tl;dr: On 10 x 3000+ shots runs, I NEVER had a hitrate of less than 83% at profession level 28 (average was 83.5%). To me it is very clear that they do affect your hitrate, (unless our assumptions about an 80% base hitrate are wrong).

This has been tested time and time again by many people.. currently Sachi is running a test and from the looks of it, the skill increase is only 1% extra on RANGED weapons. I could probably do a test as well since I have NOT been using lasers/scopes for a long time now. Usually during one session I will gain 20% in my hit profession WITHOUT lasers/scopes. I guess I can try WITH lasers/scopes for a little bit and track to see if I do increase my skills faster or not.. of course there also is the thing that you have to take into account, the higher in professional level you get the SLOWER the skill gains come also.

I'm no math wizard but I can clearly see % increase after every session in Hit Skills. I'll track this and let you know I guess :)

~Danimal

This has been tested time and time again by many people.. currently Sachi is running a test and from the looks of it, the skill increase is only 1% extra on RANGED weapons. I could probably do a test as well since I have NOT been using lasers/scopes for a long time now. Usually during one session I will gain 20% in my hit profession WITHOUT lasers/scopes. I guess I can try WITH lasers/scopes for a little bit and track to see if I do increase my skills faster or not.. of course there also is the thing that you have to take into account, the higher in professional level you get the SLOWER the skill gains come also.

I'm no math wizard but I can clearly see % increase after every session in Hit Skills. I'll track this and let you know I guess :)

~Danimal

Just to clarify this here, Sachi's test was not to measure whether or not attachments give increased skill gains (neither was mine), just whether they affect hit rate.

The hit ability increase was ~0.5 - 1% which is effectively a 5 to 10 level increase in Hit Profession level (which is huge).

A test to measure skill gains would be very useful, it will be interesting to see the results.

Ahhh... The laser/scope questions.

Back