Lawyer Stories

Beki

Prowler
Society
=NotA=
Rebekah Beki Viera
I've just been reading one of the other threads and it brought to mind an e-mail I recieved at work regarding a lawsuit brought by someone. So I thought I'd post it here and see how many lawyer stories we can come up with. I don't claim to know whether or not this story is true but it did sure make me laugh.

Anyway, this person (who just happened to be a lawyer) bought a box of very expensive Cuban cigars and being a clever chap (lawyer) had read his home insurance policy very thoroughly and added the cigars onto the policy for an insured sum of 20k US$. Having had confirmation that they were indeed covered by his policy he then proceeded to smoke each cigar, obviously enjoying them.

Having smoked the box of cigars he then contacted his insurance company saying that each and every cigar had been destroyed in a series of small fires. When his insurance company refused to pay out he took them to court. During the case the Judge said that it was the most blatant frivolous and silly case that it had ever been his misfortune to sit on, but unfortunately the claimant was correct. The insurance policy did cover the cigars for fire damage and the Insurers were indeed liable for the claim and the claimants legal fees.

The insurance company (who also have lawyers) gleefully paid out and then as the victorious lawyer accepted his cheque, filed a complaint with the same court and same Judge sueing the man for Insurance Fraud, claiming that he had deliberately set fire to the cigars and was therfore an arsonist. Not only that but they also used the own man's entire evidence from the previous case to back up their claim.

The insurance company was successful in their claim and the man was sent to prison for 8 months, ordered to repay the insurance firm and also to pay their entire legal costs.

I almost laughed myself off my chair when I read this... I just hope that it is true ;)

ahh, nice story and fun to read...but....

Summary of eRumor:A man bought a box of rare, expensive cigars, then took out fire insurances on them. When he had finished smoking them, he filed a claim against the insurance company. The company turned down his claim, but he filed a lawsuit and won, getting $15,000 from the insurance company.

The Truth:A little too slick to be true, and it isn't. No evidence of this case has ever been found and it has been around as an urban legend since at least 1968 when we first ran across it and researched it.

google search of "cigar urban legend insurance"

google is your friend...

but again, funny story.

Regards,

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah :)

so the little twist about the counter lawsuit is just the "icing on the non-existant cake" :)

that is such a shame... I do like the story though :D

Back