Legality of radio within EU

Status

Chrome

Elite
Society
Kaos
Mono Chrome Monochrome
There has been some discussion recently in this thread about Atlas Haven Radio (AHR). A forum member posted a question about the "legal" standing of this operation, and it seems there are some unanswered questions about the legality of radio within the Entropia Universe.

I am starting this thread with the hope that the owners/operators of the various Entropia radio stations (Atlas Haven Radio, Jamhot Radio, et al) will verify their license information to broadcast (webcast, stream) copyrighted music. Providing this information in a prompt manner to the Entropia Forum community should quell any doubts about the legal status of these operations.

If the information on the following links are correct, then Jason Peterson, who is known as "Neomaven" (ingame) and also as 711 (owner/administrator of Entropia Forum), is the owner of Entropiaradio.com:

(Page 11)
http://www.mindark.com/press/financial-reports/documents/Annual_Report_2008.pdf

http://who.is/whois/entropiaradio.com/

Looking forward to your response.

Regards - Chrome

Well considering entropia radio which hosts ahr , jamhot.... is owned by the owner of this very forum, I'm sure you'll get the answer to your question. :)

Though I do question your motives to such a post. You would think that after being told in the previous thread who owns entropia radio that you wouldn't need to create a new thread on it. So it seems to me that you have some sort of agenda.. For what, to cast doubt? 711 of course would pay the fees associated for having the radio station, he's not going to risk being sued for illegally playing music.

It wouldn't be worth it.

Like or hate the radio stations, they (imo) bring a fun to the game that didn't exist before. True, we are not in a game such as second life... though alot of people enjoy the social aspects of the game, and the radios help to bring that to the game.

Yes, I went a little off topic to your question, however I just wanted to add that. :)

Thank you to 711 for allowing us to be on air :)

Last edited:
'licensed to broadcast" had crossed my mind when I decided to give it (undisclosed entropia radio station) a listen and realized the content involved. Not that I really give two pecs about it, I like music wherever I can find it, but I was always curious about what channels these operators had to go thru to make a (sorta) private broadcast legit. I was intrigued by the fact that the 'average' internet user will probably not stumble upon an Entopia themed streamed music broadcast web site; as I cannot imagine someone searching "atlas haven entertainment audio" on Google or so, which brings to mind that perhaps this is a form of 'private' exhibition. So, just does one draw a line in this situation?

:popcorn:

Ossi!

Though I do question your motives to such a post. You would think that after being told in the previous thread who owns entropia radio that you wouldn't need to create a new thread on it. So it seems to me that you have some sort of agenda.. For what, to cast doubt? 711 of course would pay the fees associated for having the radio station, he's not going to risk being sued for illegally playing music.

I thought I stated my motives quite clearly.

There was some questions in another thread about whether fees for permission to broadcast copyrighted music were being paid by AHR. I do indeed have an agenda. I posted this thread with the hope that "711" will address doubts that have already been expressed by myself and others.

Simply because someone else informed me who the owner of Entropia Radio is certainly does not confirm whether the owner has indeed followed protocol for internet radio licensing. The other thread had gotten "off topic", this new thread is specific for this particular concern.

Yes I was pretty sure you have an agenda. Thanks for clearing it up. :)
Like I said, talk to 711 about it. When in doubt go to the source.

I thought I stated my motives quite clearly.

There was some questions in another thread about whether fees for permission to broadcast copyrighted music were being paid by AHR. I do indeed have an agenda. I posted this thread to clear doubts that have already been expressed by myself and others.

Simply because someone else informed me who the owner of Entropia Radio is certainly does not confirm whether the owner has indeed followed protocol for internet radio licensing. The other thread had gotten "off topic", this new thread is specific for this particular concern.

I dont care if its legal or not..not my concern.

but please start spamming in the selling chat as this has been the 3rd weekend in a row there are petty arguments with people basicly yelling nanny nanny boo boo at each and making it so normal people can not even say hello to friends.

The selling channel is for advertiseing start using it please.

who cares about the fees?!?

Who cares if fees were paid since AHR runs for free... the more important question is, "Is permission to use the copyrighted songs being obtained prior to redistributing them?".. the fee question is somewhat wrapped up in all of that... but is only part of the issue.

Copyrights are a bunch of rights that artists have over their creations, including but not limited to creating derivative works, distributing the works, etc.

A lot of people think that they buy copyrights when they pay for cds and go and rip them... That ain't so, especially the right to redistribute...

Who cares if fees were paid since AHR runs for free... the more important question is, "Is permission to use the copyrighted songs being obtained prior to redistributing them?".. the fee question is somewhat wrapped up in all of that... but is only part of the issue.

Copyrights are a bunch of rights that artists have over their creations, including but not limited to creating derivative works, distributing the works, etc.

A lot of people think that they buy copyrights when they pay for cds and go and rip them... That ain't so, especially the right to redistribute...

I care if the fees were paid. :)

Actually, the fees do indeed provide internet radio webcasters with the permission to use copyrighted songs without having to go "directly" to the artists themselves, which of course would be an almost impossible task to accomplish given the sheer number of artists and songs available.

http://futureofmusic.org/article/fact-sheet/webcastingcarp-fact-sheet#15

Do you need a license to webcast?

Yes, in fact you need two. The first licenses the underlying musical composition, comprised of the written notes and lyrics (for purposes of copyright law, the musical composition is referred to as a “musical work”). These licenses are issued by the performing rights organizations, namely BMI, ASCAP and SESAC.

The second part of the license covers the actual recording itself - the sounds, including the recording artist’s interpretation of the musical composition, and the creative efforts of the producer, sound engineers and background musicians. (This is referred to in copyright law as a “sound recording.”)

Yes I was pretty sure you have an agenda. Thanks for clearing it up. :)
Like I said, talk to 711 about it. When in doubt go to the source.

Nice.

My first ever "negative rep" for me posting in public an important issue of concern to some in the Entropia Community, rather than me sending a PM to 711...

FYI, I did already PM him, hopefully he will respond.

Whatcha gonna do next vamp baby, bite me? :rolleyes:

giggles no, you're not my blood type :p

you're entitled to your opinion as am I... that's how it works in life :)

Nice.

My first ever "negative rep" for me posting in public an important issue of concern to some in the Entropia Community, rather than me sending a PM to 711...

FYI, I did already PM him, hopefully he will respond.

Whatcha gonna do next vamp baby, bite me? :rolleyes:

I think it is up to the radio stations to take care of themselves, leaving us free to listen to their broadcasts. A public discussion of the legality will only cast unnecessary scrutiny on EU radio and might lead to the end of the broadcasts.

I also am curious to you motives Chrome.

...I care if the fees were paid. :)

Why do you care that fees are paid?

Cheers :beerchug:

Unless you work for the responsible authorities or so, i believe they have no obligation to answer you. Surely i wouldn't.

My two pecs.

Yes they are licensed, yes they are legal. 711 foots the bill for the licenses/severs etc and enables us to bring this entertainment to entropians for free!

I'm know 711 did all his homework when it came to doing internet radio, and would never do anything illegal. It's his job.

Jamhot

P.S. It's not radio 'within EU' it's radio 'on the internet' as a whole.

Last edited:
I also am curious to you motives Chrome.

Why do you care that fees are paid?

Cheers :beerchug:

Jackfree has a point ..... same question crossed my mind ...

------------------------------------

Edit...

Jamhot answered you..... but, would still like to know why this subject interested you so much.

Yes they are licensed, yes they are legal. 711 foots the bill for the licenses/severs etc and enables us to bring this entertainment to entropians for free!

I'm know 711 did all his homework when it came to doing internet radio, and would never do anything illegal. It's his job.

Jamhot

P.S. It's not radio 'within EU' it's radio 'on the internet' as a whole.

this makes it prefectly clear the licencing is inplace and one of the chaps from AHR said the same, maybe not as clearly, in the other thread. issue closed.

unless there is an agenda here trying to cause trouble.

I don't think Chrome did a bad thing.

While I support the fruition of internet Radio stations, I also want them to be legal.
Hypothetically speaking, if there was no license in place, then this is just the kind of story that a MindArk competitor could run with the smear EU - all publicity is good publicity... or is it?

What's Chromes motive? Only Chrome himself can answer that, I presume he has some songs out there.

I see no problem with calling things into question within the public domain, especially when it concerns "the right thing to do".

Like JamHot says... all licences/fees/servers are paid for by the owner of this very own forum, aswell as the radio, 711.

Now like everybody else is wondering, what are you motives as this surely and clearly is a motion of distrust.

Greetings,

MistahE

Also would like to hear your motives Chrome, and if you care so much about it, why not ask the organizations that you need to pay if they done it?
(or is it so secret who have licenses that they wont let the public know about it)

A few years ago I used to be envolved with a radio station , they had to file reports of how many listeners and how many tracks they played every month and then pay a fee monthly to the Performing Rights Society. It was very complicated as everything had to be audited. Every month.

Has the internet made this easier ? Is it now just a case of making a monthly or a yearly payment and your good to go ?

For those of you interested in my "motives", I am a member of a Performing Rights Organization (PRO). As such, I do have an interest in internet radio.

I don't think Chrome did a bad thing.

While I support the fruition of internet Radio stations, I also want them to be legal.

I see no problem with calling things into question within the public domain, especially when it concerns "the right thing to do".

Thank you.

Like Radio, I too strongly support internet radio, as well as all the other forms of broadcasting that provide an opportunity for people to enjoy music. In addition, I also strongly support the rights of the musicians who create the music.

Yes they are licensed, yes they are legal. 711 foots the bill for the licenses/severs...
Like JamHot says... all licences/fees/servers are paid for by the owner of this very own forum, aswell as the radio, 711.

I thank you both for responding.

As stated in my original post, I look forward to a response directly from 711 as the owner/operator of the webcasting services.

...if you care so much about it, why not ask the organizations that you need to pay if they done it?
(or is it so secret who have licenses that they wont let the public know about it)

The U.S. Copyright Office publishes a list of Statutory License Filings available to the public.

I can tell you ... that prior to launching MindStar Radio last year in July, I had conversation with 711 that clarified for me that all licensing was in place, and the radio stations did not have to be concerned about royalty issues, or anything of the kind.

Also ... a while after I launched MSR, something came up that caused me to have a chat with 711 in order to clarify a specific concern. It had to do with individual licensing of the broadcasting software, and if pirated copies being used by DJ's would put the Entropia Radio entity in legal jeopardy. I asked, because there were individuals being considered as DJ's for MSR, and I wanted to make sure what the specifics were. He said that it's preferable that all DJ's have their own licensed (paid) copy of the broadcasting software, but if they didn't, the only legal risk would be to themselves. Just for the record, MSR requires any considered DJ to show proof of purchase to keep it legal.

I am quite sure ... that 711 has all legal requirements in place based on my own inquiries, and agree with some who have stated that the presence of the Entropia radio stations are for the entertainment of the community, but those outside of the Entropia environment are also free to listen. Also, we have to follow broadcasting standards set not only by 711 as the host and provider of the service, but abide by the EULA.

Perhaps ... 711 will eventually post in this thread and set the record straight, and while certain concerns are understandable (I had them too), according to 711, everything is in place regarding this operation. I too am grateful for this (free) hosting, which gives all radio stations an opportunity to provide a different level of entertainment to our community.

Hope this helps Chrome :)

Ahhh finally the motives. Thank you. Until you said what they were, from my viewpoint you looked like someone just trying to stir up shit for no reason.

Again though, I believe you pming 711 himself would of been more suitable instead of creating drama.

However, tomatoes, tamatoes.. and all that : )

For those of you interested in my "motives", I am a member of a Performing Rights Organization (PRO). As such, I do have an interest in internet radio.

EntropiaRadio does indeed pay monthly internet radio broadcasting licensing fees.

Also, the speculations in this thread (and even in the thread title: "radio within EU") that anything that happens on EntropiaRadio could reflect badly on MindArk or FPC are ridiculous. EntropiaRadio is in no way related to either MindArk PE AB, First Planet Company AB, or Entropia Universe. It is a privately owned website/internet radio station. To call it an "Entropia Universe Radio Station" or "radio within EU" is misleading and unfactual. EntropiaRadio.com is an internet radio station, like any of the other millions of radio stations on the internet. Nothing more, nothing less.

If anyone has any further questions on this issue, feel free to contact me via private message.

:locked:

Status
Back