Question: little question with discussion, "give disciples gifts?"

Alice

Slayer
Society
Rising Potentials
Alice in Wonderland
i think its an interesting topic, so what do you do with your disciples?
do you give them gifts? why?
or just when they graduate?

for me:
example will be with say opalo and 500 ammo, so 8.8 ped

i don't give disciples gifts, never worked out

with most i spend quite some time tp running from start, but i didn't see them again after a day
they don't even bother to come back to say "i quit"

giving them an opalo to experience hunting tends to end in these options, since sooner or later the ammo will be used up and loot wont pay for it anymore:
-deposit
can happen when the loot was pretty good during that time or you like the game
can as well happen after seeing sweating, deciding its boring, depositing for a weapon and ammo though

you start to value things more after this, especially tp runs and advice

-sweating
after your ammo is gone you decide to sweat your way to more ammo
you find sweating interesting and a fun way to challenge the game as nondepositor
those newbies are one of my favourites, they are pretty encouraged
they value a ped completely different than a depositor and tend to turn every ped around twice before they spend it on something stupid

-asking for more
first thing you learned in your EU experience is that you get free stuff, weapons and ammo
so, since its that easy, why not ask for more?
because you got it for free first you won't value item or ped gifts as much as if you had somehow worked for it

those i don't like generally, some get better and get the idea that it isn't as free, most don't and quit

-quit
your ammo is gone, your loot sucked, you don't want to ask for more stuff and face sweating for hours for a bit of ammo?
and deposit? honestly?
so you go without looking back or telling your mentor who spend time and sometimes peds for you that you gonna quit, making the time he spent (and peds) a waste

imo the "quit" option is the most likely one

i simply don't think that a 8.8 ped gift would make you play much more likely

on the other hand, i had 57 graduaters without giving gifts so far, and a quitting rate of ~80%

that brings me to ~200 disciples i had overall (likely more, who counts) of which 150 would be "failure" who quit without saying goodbye

and thats 1600 ped or 160$ i saved :)

i might mention that i started as sweater, and hence i see 8.8 ped with totally other eyes than a normal depositor
it can add up and that fast

on the other hand, now the disciple point of view, 8.8 ped are nothing when you play for longer (that means graduating at least)
if you don't have the patience to sweat/gather fruit or deposit or get the cash somehow else, for 8.8 ped, it isn't the game for you

on the other hand, advice from a mentor, more experienced person, society can make you save douzens and houndreds of peds
i value that far higher than some gifts
so not giving peds away for ppl to burn, but to tell them how they can get some and how to make them last longer

the last point, and also the least one, is it isn't useful when you look at the payback, financially speaking
say i would give someone this 8.8 ped gift and he even graduates
i get an alpha ME or EP 17 ME
those are worth like 3-5 ped

even if i would be able to sell them, i would lose 3 ped or more :

i also rarely give a gift to a disciple when he graduates
of course i could give the alpha ME i just got to the discple
but first, he liked has way better weaponry already at that point (especiall considering eco), and second, for the achievement of graduating i should give someone such a crap item?
thats a slap in the face imo (as it is for the mentor who gets it btw)

there are gifts when the ME item i get is something special, but else i simply don't see a real point in it for the above mentioned reasons

either way, happy discussion :D

No gifts... sound advice and a friendly TP run / tough spot rescue is much more valuable, and gives you and the new player a true feel of what the game is about... some nice friends, but mostly every man for himself...

Had to add: Sending them directly to EF and Alice's guides and Pinky's "noob" posts are a must :p

/Migi

PS: Just remembered i actually gave some stuff for my only disc. so far... lol but just when we were doing a TP, some exa or snab, can't remember now dropped some Pixi parts and i gave them to him. :cool:

i give them some gifts ... like clothes and stuff i craft

What I like to do to keep disciples motivated is the following: after I see signs that it is not just another one of those players who play noobs to get free stuff from their mentors, I give my disciples tasks, like gather a few K sweat and sell it for so and so much.

Once one task is completed, I take them to what I call a "sponsored hunt", which is lending them a TT weapon and some ammo (and herein lies the danger, but, like I said, I try to be somewhat sure it's not a scammer and so far I haven't had the misfortune of having a "disciple" running off with my stuff... yet), and go on a snable hunt or something like that. By the end of the hunt they return me the weapons and all loot, but get to keep the skills, some know-how on hunting and it's workings, and in case we loot some low-lvl armor parts they still don't have, I let them keep them, but only one of each body-part and armor type.

After the hunt I set some more tasks for them, and so on, and so on, until they gain enough money through the tasks (the tasks, not the hunts) I set to maintain themselves. Then it's mostly advice only, but when they get to that point, we're usually already good friend as well.

Btw, like Alice I also started out sweating (and with a fantastic mentor) so I do value all my stuff greatly as well.

I think letting disciples use your good unL gear once they graduate (as long as you are comfortable with it and know them well) is a sensible thing to do.

Heh, if I had not messed up and made a friend diciple early on in the game I would be harassing Alice right about now for mentorship :)

Good to see you still around helping newbies Alice, you prolly dont remember me but gave me a lot of help when it was due needed. Reached 50K sweat now I have, and thinking of testing things out when I hit 100K.

I wouldn't give gifts at first.

What I did with my one and only disciple was giving him tasks (like reach that TP on your own, gather xxx sweat) and he got some little thing as award for reaching it (a fap5, a pixie mask) ..

We went hunting together a lot, always on equal share option, which ofc helped him a lot at start.

When he graduated I also gave him a small gift - his first set of plates. (2A). But that was just because we became quite good friends and it was a great time beeing his mentor.

from that point he went the uber way quite fast, was soon way better skilled than me - but stopped playing a while ago.

Hey. I play for about 1 week. My mentor gave me little presents at the begining of the game witch helped me alot. I plan to pay him back as soon as possible, because i do not have the money yet. He does not want me to pay him back but i think i need to do this :)

So my oppinion is that small presents do not harm the discipol, but just helps him arround a bit.

This is just my oppinion,

Dalida

All depends on the disciple ;)

Certainly not in the first days but if they proved to be a worthy one :D yeh armor parts etc. i looted i sometimes give away.

But not into discipling atm since like u stated most quit and/or are a pain in the .....:eek:

Oh and also cause i'm fed up with the Frean-A mentor Crap :(

Yeah but, i have some sort of special ocasion. I know my mentor in RL :)

My view as a nub myself is that gifts should maybe be handled carefully. Just too many who missuse that, but of course, there are good people and bad people.

The gift us nubs get is tutoring in my opinion. Or let us nubs earn the gifts by doing work as someone suggested here. Quests, tasks and the like.

Early gifts encourage the scammers to pretend to be 'real' disciples, so please don't do that.

If you feel you must, then give gifts late in the discipleship period, or at the end.

When I was mentoring, I used to promise my disciples a share (50% or 33%) of the mentor gift. I never got anything valuable though.

But if you're a good mentor, the disciple should really be giving you gifts, rather than the other way around.

certainly nothing at the begining.

over time, it's not hard to see if they are actually doing anything. then, I don't mind helping them. an armour part to complete a set, a piece of clothing I made so they can look nicer - that sort of thing.

one of the biggest gift, which is highly undervalued, is having a skilled and experienced mentor actually helping you. this is a huge advantage in a combat team. or, for a miner who needs to have an area cleared. or, for a crafter who is unsure of what to make and how to recycle material.

becasue, I like helping people they usally get something, over time. of course, they've shown that they can take care of themselves and don't see me as a charity.

the really sad part is that most good disciples have been previously farmed and tossed to the wild after firing off 500 rounds through a beat up opalo or D1. there should be big warning signs at the new arrival zone saying not to choose a mentor with out putting some careful thought into it and doing some research.

I've got a great mentor. After trying to help a few new players with advice and the odd M2100, Opalo or pixie fragment and getting along well enough to add to each other's friend list, never to see them again, I've realized two things: One, I'm glad I didn't even think of taking any of them as a disciple (although I'll still help if I can) and Two, my mentor took a risk on me by giving me some good starting gear, advice and more. I'd already decided to stick it out, but how could she know that? Take a stranger's word for it? :silly2:

You know, when I first saw the title of this thread I thought it was about MA giving players who see their discipleship all the way through something in way of recognition for sticking around. Perhaps disciple-edition items somewhere between normal and mentor (although I understand mentor gifts aren't generally all that hot) or some low value crafting, mining or hunting stuff. Pipe dream, sure, it might motivate those who aren't sure about the game to stick around just in case, and maybe even deposit a few times along the way which would be good for MA.

On the subject of payback, I've already decided on it. I'm sure the intended recipient of this message will understand: strawberries are difficult to find this time of year, but I'm working on it! :ahh:

Hi.

I am not sure if i write this before, but perhaps need repeat.

I never take official disciples but i think have in the past 2 or 3 non-official disciples.

Only 1 time give gift one of that people. I think "1 opalo and 1k ammo" is not so much if not give someone all days.

I enter that gift in trade window and the guy enter noob clothes in window :scratch2:

I clear window and start again.

Not worked, i think with private messages i read, the guy hunted a little and then sell some ammo for buy mining tools and quit game when ped gone out.

So, at now i say "no official disciples", "no gift" but give all information i can when someone ask.

I like other post in this thread about give task to disciples and perhaps reward when task is done. And i think too people give more value to ped if must sweat for it.

Greetings. Milesio.

Still being rather new at this myself, I found my mentor to be a great wealth of information. Probably because he was sitting at the next computer over most of the time. Since I was his wife, I of course got lots of gifts, but he had some things that he did that I think would transfer well to other mentors. First, he always bought sweat for 6 ped/k He showed me some good places for sweating, and explained why you want to stand your ground when a mob attacks, as opposed to running it into the water, or into another player (something everyone really needs to learn). He would also take me swunting-I sweated, while he hunted, which gave me more opportunities to get sweat, and not constantly end up at the revive points. He gave me certain items he looted that I needed to use for tt value which allowed me to conserve some of that hard earned ped. He took me on tp runs, and came and healed me when I was learning to hunt, we just shared the loot evenly to pay for his decay in fapping me-my idea, not his. After I graduated, he took me to CND, something his mentor had done with all of her disciples when they graduated.

I no longer give gifts. Unless i really want to ;)

Actually, it is you who tought me Alice! And i fully agree with that.

What i normally do is flood them with information (i find it difficult not to) and urge them to sweat until they have enough to buy an opalo. When they get that they have learned the value of the gun, the value of ped and learned how to trade and work with the TT. All low risk (worst that could happen is that they loose a few hours time).

When they have the gun i go out hunting in team, most damage takes all loot and i pay for the ammo. This learns them not to waste shots and helps them greatly become more or less efficient in using an opalo.

When i am not on, they can sweat to repair the gun and buy a vivo t1. I normally do one or a few runs with them. Some like it and stick around, some dont and disappear. I even had one disciple that took the effort to contact me out of game to tell he didnt like the game as much after all and decided to go another direction.

But that is not very common ;)
PS: havent mentored over the last few months because i am too busy skilling.

Back