Loss of sound when alt-tab or windowed

John_connor

Dominant
Banned
Society
NEVERDIE
Hi Guys

When crafting I always play in windowed mode to check my email etc while I auto craft and just keep the left site of EU visible so I can see chat.

Since today's update however when I do this and click on another program (Firefox for EG) I lose the sound from EU when it loses?

Anyone else having issues with sound in windowed or when you alt-tab out of EU?

Hi Guys

When crafting I always play in windowed mode to check my email etc while I auto craft and just keep the left site of EU visible so I can see chat.

Since today's update however when I do this and click on another program (Firefox for EG) I lose the sound from EU when it loses?

Anyone else having issues with sound in windowed or when you alt-tab out of EU?

I can't say about this particular VU since its still downloading, :laugh: but I remember I had a mute when alt-tabbing since VU10 and no more for some months. (Or is it due to my XP -> Seven upgrade?)

Same here, I'm using Win7x64, no problems whatsoever, but after the VU, all of the sudden all PE-sound is gone as soon as another window gets 'focus'...if I have mp3 playing I get both PE and mp3 while the PE window is active, but as soon as I click on another window, the PE sound disappears :(

[edit: support case opened]

Last edited:
Same here, I'm using Win7x64, no problems whatsoever, but after the VU, all of the sudden all PE-sound is gone as soon as another window gets 'focus'...if I have mp3 playing I get both PE and mp3 while the PE window is active, but as soon as I click on another window, the PE sound disappears :(

[edit: support case opened]

Can you send me the number and I will quote it in mine

support reaction

support said:
Thank you for your report. I have forwarded the issue to members of the responsible team for further investigation. Any irregularities found will be adjusted. Please follow the News sections on the website for further information and developments.

message too short? how can that be?!

message too short? how can that be?!

hehe standard cut + paste answer, I am a bit annoyed as when I am crafting and reading emails at least normally I can hear PM's and chat/trade requests etc.

same thing here, i used it to watch forums/movies while i was hunting...now i have to pay more attention lol

My support case has been sent:

Your support case 189418 has been sent.

Loss of sound when EU window does not have focus:

I normally play EU in full screen mode but while crafting I play in windowed mode so I can see my chat and read emails etc however Since today's update when I do this and click on another program (Firefox for EG) I lose the sound from EU client so I can not hear if I get a PM or chat/trade request.

Before I sent this ticket I posted on PCF to check if it was just my PC

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...208295-Loss-of-sound-when-alt-tab-or-windowed

and can confirm at least 1 other use has this issue

Case: <removed in case they don't want it posted>

Can you please check this out and sort asap as when I am crafting 5k clicks on basic filters for skills I do enjoy looking at other stuff :)

I have the same issue as well.

When the EU client is out of focus there is no audio.

More annoying is the fact that the audio buffers store what sounds are played during that time and upon engaing the window all sounds in the buffer are played simultaneously at double the set volume.

Hope a fix comes soon.

Chaz.

As far as I remember playing EU on XP lost sound when focus is on another app, but until 11.8 Win 7 retained sound no matter what you had focus on.

Just got a reply

Hi,
Thank you for your report. I have forwarded the issue to members of the responsible team for further investigation. Any irregularities found will be adjusted. Please follow the News sections on the website for further information and developments.
Thank you for your patience.
Kind regards,
Gabriel| Planet ROCKtropia Support

:(

I'm not sure this is an issue. When you switch away from one program to another, you also switch between sound channels of these programs. With the exception of music players, which are specifically designed to play music at the background, it's a normal behavior.

Sometimes I have another game opened in a different window, or get a Skype call, and I don't want EU sound to follow me around when EU window is not in focus. So I say, leave it as is please, it's pretty much how it should be

Another thing I've noticed is that when starting up, it does work as it should...
1 I start PE and log in
2 I switch to my browser and let PE boot in the background
3 while reading my emails or some website, I hear the PE sounds come in..while it is still in the background and does not have focus...
4 I switch to PE and away again and the sound is gone again...

So for some reason the feature or bug doesn't kick in until PE has fully booted up or so...I forwarded this to support already, have you noticed something similar?

IvoL

One other thing ive noticed.

When the EU client was not the window of focus you used to be able to move your mouse over the window and the mob/avar HP bar and names pop up as if the window was in focus.

This along with the sound gives me the impression that the setting for the client window itself in the EU executable has changed to disable window transparency or a change to program priority. This explain both the audio and mouse sensitivity differences.

So its not a bug as such, just a change in window 'type'. Would like it set back to its previous functionality though.

Chaz.

I have the same issue as well.

When the EU client is out of focus there is no audio.

More annoying is the fact that the audio buffers store what sounds are played during that time and upon engaing the window all sounds in the buffer are played simultaneously at double the set volume.

Hope a fix comes soon.

Chaz.

Most annoying thing, agreed.

One other thing ive noticed.

When the EU client was not the window of focus you used to be able to move your mouse over the window and the mob/avar HP bar and names pop up as if the window was in focus.

This along with the sound gives me the impression that the setting for the client window itself in the EU executable has changed to disable window transparency or a change to program priority. This explain both the audio and mouse sensitivity differences.

So its not a bug as such, just a change in window 'type'. Would like it set back to its previous functionality though.

Chaz.

i agree lets get it back hopefully, or have a selectable option (preferred tbh...i like reading forums and have a small screen going that has EU running, but when watching a movie i prefer sound off...meh

Yep, the missing sound when EU is in background is anoying (Seven x64), I don't hear the sound of incoming messages when I'm having a pause.

:mad:

I got a new answer from support :( :mad::

Hi,

Thank you for your update. However I have been informed, that this is an intentional feature from the design team and not a bug.

I wish you a good day in Planet Calypso!

Kind regards,

Gabriel| Planet Calypso Support

In my opinion this is very much not an improvement! :(
I'll reply that I would prefer them to make this an optional setting...

Something else I noticed, when in full screen mode. When you alt tab out, all the fans on my system immediately power down. It's as if EU goes into hibernation mode when you're not in full screen, or not directly on the screen.

I see that as quite a good feature.

You have to be kidding me... A feature?

Really? If I tab out, and stuff is going on in entropia and I tab back, it fucking explodes in my speakers because it all plays at the same second, hofs, globals, "crafting processing bar"... Fucks me off every time, esp. since it is MUCH louder than the normal volume...

You have to be kidding me... A feature?

Really? If I tab out, and stuff is going on in entropia and I tab back, it fucking explodes in my speakers because it all plays at the same second, hofs, globals, "crafting processing bar"... Fucks me off every time, esp. since it is MUCH louder than the normal volume...

Yes this is quite annoying, I am having this same EXPLODING feature as you are. Perhaps this is where the exploding ammunition all went to? :scratch2::laugh:

~Danimal

OK, I've not had the increased volume thing yet. Yes, that wouldn't be a great experience.

Back