Mayhem Moving Forward

Slyk

Prowler
Havenn Slyk Ragnarok
I think this is the appropriate time to ask, to get ahead of any last minute forum replies for our in game news.

It doesn't seem at all coincidental that Summer Mayhem was cancelled this year last minute. It was stated in 2021 to be the first subject of the new Mayhem revamping, which we then saw play out in Halloween and Easter following. We all know that Easter mayhem was exploited by avatars by accepting a mission for a second time, allowing them to gather thousands more tokens (more than any mini mayhem event can provide) than others - if they happened to enter the instance at the right time and circumstances (for all we know, this could have been more easily and thoroughly exploited).

Pretty big coincidence to state this mayhem event was cancelled in 2021 to be revamped, was one of the more complex and enjoyable mayhems and was cancelled only after we saw obvious exploitation of the new mayhem system. Obviously the easiest route to ensure that this wouldn't happen was to cancel the event which relied on any code to provide a mission or reward and instead, have a direct loot event.

Knowing this is likely the entire scenario, I feel it's the appropriate time to ask - what about other mayhems? Will we see a Halloween mayhem, Merry Mayhem only being FFA?, etc.

I know as a player, I can't expect to get these answers, but there is a difference between mystery and shady behavior. Mystery would be an accouncement that something was brewing in space, wolchev has harnessed the power the mayhem transmogformer, anything of a month prior to a mini-mayhem. Instead we saw, day 1 - a question from a player about mayhem, day 2 - a reply from Ludwig stating it was cancelled, day - 3, 'Oh we totally planned for mini-mayhem', unrelated to day 1 and day 2 occurances.

So, if we could get some input on Halloween, Merry and Easter mayhems moving forward - that would be great.

Thanks

Well you aren't new here, so you probably know how MA works and this behavior shouldn't be a surprise. That doesn't mean that your questions aren't invalid and make a lot of sense to me. In my experience and opinion MA doing SOMETHING even if it's not great is better because they usually do NOTHING. So I rather have an event gone than it continue as is and be exploited. Would I like a fix? Would I like new BACKGROUND GRAPHICS for the mayhems I've stared at for 120 hours?
Would I like a new mob texture instead of using stupid Daikiba or Evis?? YESS
But this is MA - they don't communicate, they don't do squat, and if they do it's un-original, least effort possible, and not player based.

Hey, at least we got some comments from our community manager, but probably filling the quota for the year....

Well you aren't new here, so you probably know how MA works and this behavior shouldn't be a surprise. That doesn't mean that your questions aren't invalid and make a lot of sense to me. In my experience and opinion MA doing SOMETHING even if it's not great is better because they usually do NOTHING. So I rather have an event gone than it continue as is and be exploited. Would I like a fix? Would I like new BACKGROUND GRAPHICS for the mayhems I've stared at for 120 hours?
Would I like a new mob texture instead of using stupid Daikiba or Evis?? YESS
But this is MA - they don't communicate, they don't do squat, and if they do it's un-original, least effort possible, and not player based.

Hey, at least we got some comments from our community manager, but probably filling the quota for the year....

Thanks for your reply and thoughts. I agree that it should have been removed, honestly. Not even from the points I've made above about the fragility of the event code itself.

From a pure numbers standpoint on boxes, if we had a year of migration/summer mayhem with boxes and the 10 mod nanos + everything used over the last few mayhems to net single users 30,000 boxes in a shorter duration, the box market would never improve and boxes would continue to devaule into being negligible loot, their contents going along with it, and the power creep from excessive amounts of op rings (hey summer 2020, only 115 of you exist).

I guess my overall point here is, there are so many reasons that summer could/should have been cancelled. So many reasons why boxes should/have been removed from migration loot. Though the messaging of it all feels dishonest to me. Which worries me for the future.

If it's a question of delaying mayhem or cancelling them outright because of exploits. Why doesn't Mindark just perma ban once and for all any repeat offenders? Are they worried about loss of revenue if they permaban? Surely loss of revenue from not having a mayhem or putting summer boxes in the loot will be seen as well?

I have less reason to hunt migration because part of the reason I hunt it is gone with no summer boxes in the loot. I like opening boxes.. I can't be the only one....

I would really like for MA to address exploitation in real solutions, not by cancelling events to avoid the exploits.

Is that really too much to ask?

I wonder too what is the reason behind no summer mayhem.
There must be an economic motivation, since I found MA being only driven by economic motivation the last decade.
There is something we don't see, that is missing. Maybe they don't want to dump too much tokens in the market in a short time so 2.0 weapons don't devaluate.
Maybe migration already brings in enough money in their reasoning. Maybe they only want instances to give tokens?

I think in retrospect things might become more clear. If I learned anything is that MA is really great at caring for MA and seldom makes any economic mistakes (besides buying castles and stuff). If their programmers were as good as their economic team; wow imagine that :eyecrazy:

For me, I don't think I'll do migration in any extend. It is indeed better to save up for halloween mayhem. Mayhem Tokens and TT loss are the new meta after all.

It could be as simple as their Mayhem guy takes summers off these days.

I have a feeling they are going to switch it to "mini mayhem" events and move them to different planets. This way its more of an "fun activity" as opposed to a "competitive event." Doing so would be a great way to give back to the land deed owners who dont make squat on them anyway (See: CP shares last month for reference)

They are testing the waters and changing things. Adapting because on my view in a near future boxes will not be allowed anymore, first Europe then USA. Just wait...

Players are introduced to gambling very early these days and on my view, even if its only appearance items inside those boxes, they shouldn't be allowed. In this case for MA it was a wonderful plan because keys require fresh money and not money already in game.

Mindark finally also realized that giving personal instance to everybody it's the Bots dream, come every 5 hours to check things...

A good Summer to everyone!

Back