Question: Mining for Beginners: Drill at Once?

If you find a mining resource...

• Drill at once (before bombing/probing anew in the same area).

Votes: 99 58.9%
  • Drill later.

Votes: 10 6.0%
  • Drilling later or at once makes no difference.

Votes: 40 23.8%
  • Depends on your skills lvl.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Undecided/abstain.

Votes: 18 10.7%

• Total voters

GradenFoss

Stalker
Graden (Switch) Foss
At first, my apologies, should this thread better be postioned under »Mining« in the Entropia Universe Professions section. However I consider it a n00b question. :ninja:

I haven’t been mining a lot. My claims are mostly IIs-IVs, with a handful of Vs and VIs (both Ore and EnM).

In the meantime I read up quite a lot about mining. Quite confusing. On my lvl I can’t confirm any theories and suspicions so far. The skill points dealt out by the system seem completely random to me. (It is known, that good random distribution can erroneously appear as rule-based, because there will be well-ordered behaviour within random chaos.)

I also do not understand, how it should be logical that I find a distant resource at point B with one bomb/probe from point A and that I can find a second resource bombing/probing at point B, which turns out to be closer to point A than the first one (if you do the math), which however didn’t register as result of the first bomb/probe. :scratch2:

So now my question: If you bomb/probe and find something, is it better to drill at once and get it out of the ground and then carry on with bombing/probing; or doesn’t it hurt any to bomb/probe along ten or twenty times and then come back and collect all finds. Or, put in another way: If I don’t drill at once might there be possible finds concealed?

Has drilling later any benefits at all?

drill it immediately, always a risk of forgetting you had a claim, and the time running out.

doesn't influence other finds i think

drilling later has a benifit when it's a big global, then you don't have to worry about weight issues with the rest if your trip

Last edited:
If its something rare you might want to leave it up as a marker and bomb the directions you didnt come from.

Noob here too,
but I drill immediately.

Just because I like having the stuff on hand, not on a sheet of virtual paper. =)
And it means that if I die, I can just go somewhere else, and don't have to run/ tp there again just to get it.
Also, it's easier to keep a count on what % returns you're getting while on the run.
Last thing, it's a lot easier finding your claim with the finder, than using the coords.

Just what I've found out. (I'm at 260 surveying as of today)

It's better to drill immediatly. Some people have seen their claims disappear, because the system went down, or becuase they forgot maintenance was near.

In my experiance it really depends on how you mine, though my mining days are along way behind me in general.
If your a random bomber then drop another bomb when i get a claim message from the last bomb and see what happens..but drill immediately
If your a CND miner then finnish you run of dome b4 extracting anything, bearing in mind most cnd calims last for hours/ days.
If your a Land area miner then split the two previous rules, any claim over 3 hrs continue running and come back to extract l8r.
Dam i'm glad i'm not a miner any more, i like to continuously run forward not 100 meters forward , 50 meters back lol:lolup:

I also do not understand, how it should be logical that I find a distant resource at point B with one bomb/probe from point A and that I can find a second resource bombing/probing at point B, which turns out to be closer to point A than the first one (if you do the math), which however didn’t register as result of the first bomb/probe. :scratch2:

So you think resources are in the ground? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Skelethor

If you get a decent claim... might be worth droping a couple more in the area to see if your on a lucky streak...

otherwise, probably best to drill and keep moving...

the claim might be hard to find or more difficult to extract later, and wasting claims is never a good idea.

Oh Mother Earth

So you think resources are in the ground? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Skelethor

Sure.

First you dig the pixels up.
Then the earth, mud and muck.
And then...

:yay::yay: ... :confused: ... :(

I also believe that you can fly to CND. :D

Btw it’s »n00bs Corner« –– whaddaya expect...? :hammer:

Last edited:
If you get a decent claim... might be worth droping a couple more in the area to see if your on a lucky streak...

otherwise, probably best to drill and keep moving...

the claim might be hard to find or more difficult to extract later, and wasting claims is never a good idea.

This is pretty much how I feel too, plus you never know when you might lose connection or something.

Dig them up straight away, its just a waste of time running back looking for your claims. Only time I dont apply this is if I find a big find and want to finish my run without getting heavy. In that case I would go back to the claim and extract before tp:ing to storage.

Depends on your technique.
If I'm on a purely mining run (ie; no armor, dont intend on shooting any mobs etc..) I will leave claims until end of run so I don't mess my rhythm and direction up.
If I'm just dropping bombs in between places/mobs, then I'll drill them so I don't have to backtrack.

There is no right or wrong, only your way and mine ;)

If I claim a resource I tend to rebomb the same spot I'm standing on, usually (ore's) this will result in 2 or 3 claims in a row :D

Not always though, and do not try this with big amps :D
Although for others this might work out

I get it out directly except if its real big (XX Lyst or so)
in that case I finish my run and dig it out after that.

It is highly likely that resources are not generated until you drop a bomb. There are probably not a bunch of resources just sitting there waiting to be found. More likely when you drop a bomb, there is a chance (based on location, your skills, your equipment, a random element, &c.) that you will find a resource.

One time I dropped a bomb, found nothing, took two steps, accidentally dropped another bomb, and found a resource a few meters away. It seems to track your location, though, because if you stand in the same spot, it seems you can drop bombs all day and never find anything.

Hi,

my advice has to be taken considering the fact that I'm not a pro miner. It's my hobby ;-)

For me there's two different methods of mining, and these require two different methods of extracting:
  1. Carpet bombing:
    Usually done for a quite small area where you KNOW there's stuff. Trying to run most straight lines with fixed distances, dropping bombs/ probes at same distances. Goal is to cover all and every point of the area, getting most out of it.

For this I extract later. Extracting immediately would disturb my line, would bring me off of my path. And since the area is uaually quite small it's not that problem to find my claims to collect when done.
  2. Travel bombing:
    When I don't know exactly where to mine, just have a bigger region where I know there's desired stuff (btw., you know the mining charts, for Eudoria and Amethera? Invaluable!), I'm running just over the place dropping when "I'm feeling lucky".
    This includes changing areas when the current one has bad results, even sometimes changing continents.

Here I extract immediately. These are often quite long runs, and extracting later would be a pain where it hurts - running/ TP'ing back all the way, searching for every single claim ...

Rebombing/ claims in same location:
I'm quite sure claims are "created" at drop time. Not sure, for sure. But I have had cases where I had most carefully carpet bombed an (empty - no claim) area, and running back through it accidentally dropped another bomb - bingo. Or when I ran after a ways higher skilled participant, and, for fun, dropped at the exact location he did - and got a claim where he didn't (even with his ways better skills and better finder).
So "carpet bombing" wouldn't make this much sense, right? ;-)))

Anyway, I had 5 claims in a row yet, just by dropping again after (immediate) extracting. #6 was a NRF, then I started auto-running back, through the area where I had my 5 claims. Felt lucky, dropped a bomb and got one of my best claims ever ;-)

Rebombing often works, in my book. :)

Have fun, and huge claims!

Hi.

You have one hour only for little claim. One hour pass very quick, you can lost connection or be killed by a mob, perhaps claim is in not easy terrain, drill when you find.

Greetings. And Good luck.

Additional Question

Well, thank you all for your replies and your input so far.

Keep on mining m8, u will find the answers sooner or later :rolleyes:

That maybe holds some truth, indeed. I have lately been »upgraded« to IX, XI finds (I didn’t say 9/11, did I :o:). Oil and Lyst, that is, which however went straight into my Basic Filters diploma and considerably reduced the costs of my crafting attempts––I might even have come away with a small profit in that particular instance...

It is highly likely that resources are not generated until you drop a bomb. There are probably not a bunch of resources just sitting there waiting to be found. More likely when you drop a bomb, there is a chance (based on location, your skills, your equipment, a random element, &c.) that you will find a resource.

If that is the case––and I would tend to believe it is (even if I messed around with Skelethor’s remark earlier :cool:)––, then drilling at once or later would in all probability not effect the outcome of later bombings/probings.

Concerning rebombing/-probing, I do that too. I’d hate to leave an area without a last »No resources found.« :)

I usually travelbomb. I tried carpetbombing thrice, with appalling results. Now that however I have discovered some areas which give me finds on a regular basis, I might try to carpetbomb there in the future.

On a lighter note, I did in fact forget to mention that it is entirely possible you’ve been left no choice whether to drill at once or later. Thanks for that reminder go to the Allophyl Old Alpha which mauled me today as soon as I received my claim deed. :D

Which leads me to my additional question.

Although size and resource is always in the deed, the finder sometimes does not register size and/or resource. Has that any significance to anyone’s knowledge, if you get a »Size: Unknown« and/or »Resource: Unknown« message?

Which leads me to my additional question.

Although size and resource is always in the deed, the finder sometimes does not register size and/or resource. Has that any significance to anyone’s knowledge, if you get a »Size: Unknown« and/or »Resource: Unknown« message?

This is part of an old feature. You used to have to walk over the claim by following the finder to get the claim to 'pop'(and recieve the deed) so it added some suspense. Also through the changes there was a time when sometimes you would know by the finder that you were gonna global but you still wouldnt trip the global till you walked over the claim, so you could call your friends before you even walked over the claim :)

Too Bad...

This is part of an old feature. You used to have to walk over the claim by following the finder to get the claim to 'pop'(and recieve the deed) so it added some suspense. Also through the changes there was a time when sometimes you would know by the finder that you were gonna global but you still wouldnt trip the global till you walked over the claim, so you could call your friends before you even walked over the claim :)

Thank you for the information.

Too bad... I’d hoped, it somehow could help one with mining. :bomb:

Drill immediately! It is a real pain to have to go back and track down claims with coords for a few reasons. One is time, the other you may be wasting ME to get back to them. Also by leaving them there your just showing other people your good mining areas. So if you want to waste time, ME and give up your good areas please leave them for me to see. I always appreciate it. ;)

I think most people have seen lone markers sitting there forgotten by the finder, it's easy to do when you have a lot of finds and get attacked maybe as well.

Anyone not great at navigating should get the claim up for sure.

My general plan is line of sight, if I can see them (or am sure they are in easy range) I keep looking, then extract the lot before moving on.

In PvP areas 3 and 4...you leave them ...go back later and don't forget to thank the GDs lurking close by for minding them for you :D

t

In PvP areas 3 and 4...you leave them ...go back later and don't forget to thank the GDs lurking close by for minding them for you :D

t

Errrm... Not planing on going into PvPs 3 and 4 in the nearer future––at least not for mining. :o:

Back