Question: Missions not worth doing (due to bad mu/spawn/etc.)?

LunaMoon

Provider
Lunareth Luna Moon
So I finished the Molisk iron mission a few days back and it didn't really feel like the reward was worth the effort and "investment" (peds and/or time). The lack of any markup loot, the Land area tax (yes I know there are other spawns but not as good), the low skill reward etc.

It got me thinking about investment vs reward, any suggestions on missions that aren't simply worth the effort at this moment?

Reasons can be anything from bad reward, to bad spawn and/or markup.

Obviously it is good to do missions for skillboosts and I know it is a luxury that "veterans" didn't have, but with so many choices for low-, medium- and highend missions, one can manage without doing all of them.

fyi: so far I have finished the shinkiba, foul, argo, molisk iron missions, currently working on cornun.

Also doesn't have to be Cally missions, feel free to comment on other planets missions that you feel aren't worth the effort.

Some of the daily's are hopeless.

Repesilex, wow, the only place I could find them was suggested by the mission and their few and far between, in amongst Combibo stalkers. When you intend to (and gear up for) a hunt for a specific mob, the last thing you want to be doing is having to take down something 10 times it's size in order to get at them.

With regard to the iron missions, I'm not entirely sure the intention was for people to camp a single mob in order to achieve them. I think they're meant to take a while as you hunt a variety of mobs at your level. But, as I often am, I could be completely wrong.

Some of the daily's are hopeless.
With regard to the iron missions, I'm not entirely sure the intention was for people to camp a single mob in order to achieve them. I think they're meant to take a while as you hunt a variety of mobs at your level. But, as I often am, I could be completely wrong.

I am sure you are right and most likely at a higher level I'll shift between a few mobs, but at these early stages I prefer to grind through the entire mission at once so I can focus on the next mob. Makes it easier gearwise not having to lock too much peds in different setups.

I can see how that would be beneficial, what I would say though is you pick an armour, and to be honest Adjusted Pixie is one of the best armours in the game for its low-end versatility, you would need to change that, perhaps snag some 5A plates for tackling the slightly larger mobs then the only thing you need to worry about is your DPS versus mob HP.

Well I miss a good swarm of Hiryuu, it has become slightly better but not sufficient to hope for finishing the IC within foreseeable time. And i've pretty much given up on Merp after 1000. You have one chewing at your shoelaces almost everywhere, but never enough to rake in numbers. There was a LA in the far west that had them exclusively, but this was long ago.

I didn't like the island missions that gave only mission (now called combat) tokens at first, but there is a bigger picture to them. May decide whether you want to go that route. I have some reservations about IC's where the mob is found only on taxed land, but still plenty to do before having to make up my mind.

The most epic mission chains are probably on Cyrene, the debate is still open on them as very few have finished them so far and parts still under development. The introduction of repeatable stage 6's with killpoints on Ark was a great idea imo.

The returns should even out over time, at least so they say, but with waves going up and down individual mileage varies. Afaik blaming bad results on mob species only does not reflect reality.

Last edited:
Well I miss a good swarm of Hiryuu, it has become slightly better but not sufficient to hope for finishing the IC within foreseeable time. And i've pretty much given up on Merp after 1000. You have one chewing at your shoelaces almost everywhere, but never enough to rake in numbers. There was a LA in the far west that had them exclusively, but this was long ago.

I didn't like all those missions that give only tokens at first, but there is a bigger picture to them. May decide whether you want to go that route. I have some reservations about IC's where the mob is found only on taxed land, but still plenty to do before having to make up my mind.

The most epic mission chains are probably on Cyrene, the debate is still open on them as very few have finished them so far and parts still under development. The introduction of repeatable stage 6's with killpoints on Ark was a great idea imo.

The returns should even out over time, at least so they say, but with waves going up and down individual mileage varies. Afaik blaming bad results on mob species only does not reflect reality.

Hiryuu

Merp

There are decent pure spawns of both mobs I'm pleased to report. :)

Hiryuu

Merp

There are decent pure spawns of both mobs I'm pleased to report. :)

Thanks, shall try when I get back. I was at the Hiryuu island in the midways, but still found it too thin to be worth my while. Maybe it has changed. Completely overlooked Ouroboros though (as lvl 95 tax evader, lol).

I believe the best place, currently, for Merp is at Ourobouros (I think that's what it is called.) It's the Medusa Island in the North East.

Thanks, shall try when I get back. I was at the Hiryuu island in the midways, but still found it too thin to be worth my while. Maybe it has changed. Completely overlooked Ouroboros though (as lvl 95 tax evader, lol).

The Hiryuu north of Fort Victoria isnt a thick spawn, but it isnt mixed with land based mobs attacking you, and hopefully should be sufficient if patient. If anyone knows a better location, please feel free to share it, and it'll be added.

I completed the Hiryuu mission a few years back and it took me a few weeks near the outpost North of Fort Troy where the mission broker was, so it has never been an easy or quick mission to complete.

Merp wont be a problem though.

Reactions: San
The Hiryuu north of Fort Victoria isnt a thick spawn, but it isnt mixed with land based mobs attacking you, and hopefully should be sufficient if patient. If anyone knows a better location, please feel free to share it, and it'll be added.

There is a spot with high maturities of them east of Boreas in the lone crater beyond the river, guarding the last of the soil samples and making it impossible for newbies to finish that mission early (don't ask me how often I tried when I was young). It's a long way to fly and they don't respawn fast enough to be worth spending time, but whenever I happen to be nearby I stop and clear them out. Adds a dozen or so to the tab and one is always hopeful that a stalker might drop something better.

Obviously it is good to do missions for skillboosts and I know it is a luxury that "veterans" didn't have

skillboosts are a small compensation for the lack of conditions for serious skilling. Back in the days we had the luxury of good conditions for skilling, which id prefer a 100 times more over skillboosts! From a veterans perspective i am happy i am through all the skilling that i have achieved back in the days. I pity the newbies a bit, because it has become a lot more expensive to skill up nowadays. On the other hand there is a great array of new weapons and items for newbies and midlevel players now, that have an enourmous advantage over the guns we used back then, especially in speed, low MU and high eco. (Bukin´s Blade, s10 fap, PBP-series for example)

I completed several of the iron quests including Araneatrox and Atrox and i am stuck in the thousands on pretty much all of them. When i did the quests i focused on evade and paramedic skills because they were way behind my hit and dmg skills and they started to move really slow in the 30s. In my point of view its not only money thorwn out of the window to aim for the big hit/dmg-related skill missions, it is also taking away the opportunity to skill something that make your weak skills catch up to the high ones. When a mission is done, its done, opportunity gone.

In my point of view the weakest relevant skill makes the hunter. Lets say you use a laser handgun for hunting close-combat-mob, the relevant skills are those which determine your hitlevel, dmglevel, evader and paramedic levels.

The problem is they do not go up with the same rate. When you reach level 10 hit, you might be level 8 dmg, level 5 evader and maybe only level 4 paramedic, depending on your choice of armor (bigger armor less faping). This picture will not change if you go up like this and "specialize" (worst word ever used from a MA official, and here is why), so when you reach level 100 hit, you gonna have level 80 dmg, level 50 evader and something about level 40 paramedic profession.

Big question now is, what level of a hunter are you now? Level 100? You cannot even use a level 100 gun! So you can handle a level 80 gun, because your damage level is 80. You are able to evade blows from a level 50 mob on a regular basis, but youre nowhere near evading blows from a level 80 mob on a regular basis. So how could you think, youre a level 80 hunter? And even worse, you cannot even outfap a level 50 mob´s damage, cause you are a level 40 paramedic only because of your fondness of big armors. How could you dare believe youre a level 50 hunter? So in this scenario the wannabe level 100 hunter should take a level 40 gun, fap, armor and go hunt a level 40 mob to get something like a full control of the situation with absolutely no bad surprises whatsoever. The example shows that naming hitlevels is not meaningful at all.

Sure you can hire a mod faper, borrow shadow from a friend and sib skill redeemer on Feffox Iron, but you should know better by now.

Back to the missions. So for me the weakest skill makes the hunter, i should say the weakest relevant profession level makes the overall performance. So this is what the missions are for, reducing weaknesses. This almost always means trying to raise your evader, paramedic and probably dodge level to anywhere near your hit and dmg levels. If you can afford it... so doing missions is probably the only way to really step up a "caste" (like from newbie to midlevel) by compensating the different growing rates of your relevant skills.

Reactions: Mac
In my point of view the weakest relevant skill makes the hunter.
Yup. That's why I said the Arkadia stage 6 repeatable killpoint missions are a very welcome addition. You can check whichever skill is lagging and do the mob with the relevant bonus until you're blue in the face. Someone has made a nice table here:
http://arkadiaforum.com/threads/max-maturity-hunting-excel-sheet.11689/

Okay, this is actually o/t, because it was about missions -not- worth doing. Just... :wise:

There is a spot with high maturities of them east of Boreas in the lone crater beyond the river, guarding the last of the soil samples and making it impossible for newbies to finish that mission early (don't ask me how often I tried when I was young). It's a long way to fly and they don't respawn fast enough to be worth spending time, but whenever I happen to be nearby I stop and clear them out. Adds a dozen or so to the tab and one is always hopeful that a stalker might drop something better.

Thanks San, I've added the location. :)

Thanks San, I've added the location. :)

It is actually listed on Entropedia, I forgot to look before I posted here. Many of those are still valid. Are you checking them out for the database here? Would be great if users could step forward more and help with verifying/falsifying the old info.

It is actually listed on Entropedia, I forgot to look before I posted here. Many of those are still valid. Are you checking them out for the database here? Would be great if users could step forward more and help with verifying/falsifying the old info.

Because I spent many hours going to locations on entropedia to find nothing there, wasting my time and fuel, I stopped using Entropedia for locations. We are relying on the playerbase to share good locations to help improve Creatures. Which is happening.
At the moment Oleg and I are working on getting mob scanned data in, all the land area mob locations in and instances. Yesterday I was investigating Cyclops Depths. :)

there is a great spawn of molisk S of MegaVolt

Already have that location for Molisk, I agree its a great spawn. :)

Because I spent many hours going to locations on entropedia to find nothing there, wasting my time and fuel, I stopped using Entropedia for locations. We are relying on the playerbase to share good locations to help improve Creatures. Which is happening.
At the moment Oleg and I are working on getting mob scanned data in, all the land area mob locations in and instances. Yesterday I was investigating Cyclops Depths. :)

Already have that location for Molisk, I agree its a great spawn. :)

You're not at all biased by the location, i'm sure. :lolup:

The armax mission is pretty blah in rewards IIRC, and there may be a better spawn than the one i'm using (near the plongus and the crater), but it's pretty bad.

Some of the newer missions with a different reward option for each step have some that are useless to me.

I suggest you download one of the tables that have been posted that list all the mission rewards and then find all the ones that give you skills you want. The reality is that since the "rebalancing" a few years ago, none of the missions give great skill rewards in terms of amount.

Also, try to combine dailies with Iron Challenge. That has the disadvantage of moving gear requirements, but it's more efficient when it comes to reward/kill.

You're not at all biased by the location, i'm sure. :lolup:

The armax mission is pretty blah in rewards IIRC, and there may be a better spawn than the one i'm using (near the plongus and the crater), but it's pretty bad.

Some of the newer missions with a different reward option for each step have some that are useless to me.

I suggest you download one of the tables that have been posted that list all the mission rewards and then find all the ones that give you skills you want. The reality is that since the "rebalancing" a few years ago, none of the missions give great skill rewards in terms of amount.

Also, try to combine dailies with Iron Challenge. That has the disadvantage of moving gear requirements, but it's more efficient when it comes to reward/kill.

It really is a good spawn, even if it was South of another TP! It even has a little cave there to explore. :D

The rebalance did improve matters for a lot of players in giving a skill reward at each stage rather than having to kill 16600 before getting one (many would give up or switch mobs rather than do that many)

The rebalance also gave attribute tokens which allowed you to implant them at a time of your own choosing rather then instantly. A +1 Agility taken at 80 would be better for a player than taken at 40.

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?240359-The-Mission-Matrix-Rebalanced

^ This is a sticky in the mission section of the forum.

Back