Motherboard/ processor recommendations?

Status

Imsin

Old
Society
Freelancer
imsin sinstress again
I think its about time to build a new machine.

Any recommendations on a reasonable priced yet functional/upgradeable motherboard and processor??

If your looking for bang for buck, ASUS P5E Deluxe + Intel E8500

Upgradability means you'll want a mobo that can run an i5 or i7 intel chip. Tbh I don't know much about AMD's current socket and remaining life so I won't pretend to be able to give advice about their products...

If cheap is your primary driver and you're willing to give up some upgradability then you can get a pretty solid setup with the earlier mentioned E8500 or even a Q9550 and a intel socket 775 motherboard.

Also, what graphics card(s) are you running? Do you plan to overclock? What ram are you planning to use?

Here is a great resource for benchmarking chips against each other:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/

If cheap horsepower was my goal, I would do the following:
Find a LGA775 Mobo (1333 Mhz Stock) that OC's up to 1600 Mhz
Buy either the E8500 or Q9550
Buy DDR3 Speed Dual Channel Ram Rated for 1600 Mhz
OC the FSB on the Mobo to Run at 1600 Mhz, set ram to FSB at 1:1 ratio.

This will create the ideal condition between your ram and FSB running at equal clock rates and will also overclock your processor by about 20% using the default multiplier.

Wow, thanks Heap.

Cheap is not really my main concern, I just don't want to get sucked into the latest and greatest for big $$ and end up starting over in 6 months because it was an overblown fad.

Not sure exactly on vid card etc, just really decided to start gathering info and parts.

Realistically I will probably be on a budget of $600-$1000, figure I should be able to build a decent machine for that ( I hope anyways)

This thing with "upgradeability" is highly theoretical I think.
I don't think I've ever actually done it, at least not motherboard/CPU wise.

Better to just buy the best price/performance ratio of the day, and the next time you want to upgrade in a year or two or three, do the same again, with whatever tech. has the best price/performance then.

Also, if you plan on running windows and not stealing it, you will need a new license again next time anyhow, and motherboard is usually a minor cost in the setup.

Only thing I've ever upgraded is graphics card and HD/RAM

My 2c.

This thing with "upgradeability" is highly theoretical I think.
I don't think I've ever actually done it, at least not motherboard/CPU wise.

Better to just buy the best price/performance ratio of the day, and the next time you want to upgrade in a year or two or three, do the same again, with whatever tech. has the best price/performance then.

Also, if you plan on running windows and not stealing it, you will need a new license again next time anyhow, and motherboard is usually a minor cost in the setup.

Only thing I've ever upgraded is graphics card and HD/RAM

My 2c.

Holy Crap, you mention stealing windows and I get PM's (3 to be exact) throwing down because I am a thief. Thanks!!

Could a mod or someone please delete or lock this thread, it has gone way wrong.

Could a mod or someone please delete or lock this thread, it has gone way wrong.

Done. Sorry to hear some folks misunderstood your situation.

:locked:

Status
Back