My latency is killing me..literaly

sgp911

Old
Ir8 B8 b4Uc
When I first get in game if my latency is below 100, I'm happy. But it don't take long i start getting tons of fails and check latency... 400 to 600.
Look at these and you will see what I'm talknig about.

This what my latency normally looks like..
attachment.php

Here is when it is bad..
attachment.php

Then just a few minutes out of game..
attachment.php

attachment.php

Then back to normal..
attachment.php

It has been getting worse for the last few months.
I'm in the mid west of the US.
I contacted my Internet provider but they say it isn't them. Looks like Zayo .com is the culperet.
I don't know whet to do from here....

it's them. Zayo is taking you over the pond so you'd expect some latency there, but the jump is consistent 80-100ms even when you have bad lag. 400ms on hop3 to charter is unacceptable. Are you on a shared connection? Maybe someone else is affecting you.

That would be figuratively ;)

If it is zayo then find out what it is, remove it, try again. Do the usual malware scans (malwarebytes is good) and it may improve even more than ping issues.

Cheers
/Soko

Your 2nd, 3rd images seem to show that you have a problem with the connection to your ISP?

I assume charter is your ISP.

Anyone else running something bandwidth intensive within your LAN during that time? If you got a decent router, will not be a problem, but without knowing whats in your LAN, can't say.

I don't think it is a Charter problem.
This is a site in Canada ,watching a vid.
It's not bad..
attachment.php

Here I'm wathching a vid on a Denmark site.
Seems like when it hits the coast to go across the pond,the trouble starts...

attachment.php

I think I may have fixed the latency..so far..
I disabled upload QoS on my Netgear NightHawk router.. It disables CTF (Cut Through Forwarding) and sends your packets to the CPU,it was killing throughput.
I'll have to go a few day to make sure..

thnx for all the help

Not sure if the below will help :

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/12/03/intel_puma_chipset_firmware_fix/

There is a defective intel chip in alot of cable modems. Not sure if you on cable / something else (like I said previously, not familiar with your ISP). And even if you are on cable, I can't say if your modem has the defective chip.

I understand there is a class action in the US regarding this.

Lots of articles available, you may want to check if you have a cable modem.

Mine is an Arris TM902A but not the surfboard. I looked every where to see wich chipset is in it ,but no luck. I did do a firmware upgrade yesterday ,wich may have helped.
So far my latency is between 70 and 80 ms. That is way better than what I was getting b4.

Thnx

Amazing, the http://www.arris.com/resources/data-sheets/ Arris Datasheet site does not have your model, neither does the google links to ark.intel.com to puma 6 (all goes to 404).

Well, you said you got some firmware update, and puma 6 users were supposed to get an update recently. So maybe ....... *shrug* lol.

Maybe firmware did it.. all I know is my latency is a lot better.. I crossing my fingers for it to stay ... ;)

Thnx

Back