New Person hunting advice (Eco, Weapon, Fap, Armor).

Hotei

Guardian
Society
Miner's Mafia
Hotei Hotei Luck
Hi Mates,

I was working on this email for a disciple and figured that some of the information could be useful for others as well. Nothing new here, it's probably all recycled from previous posts in this forum. But this is the stuff that has rung true to me over my 7 years here and I figured if I could give back something, I'd like to.

Any thoughts, improvements, and advice are all welcome. It's from each other that we all get better.

I hope you enjoy, the copy of the email is below.

Hotei

The only way to get better at hunting is to find out what you are doing well and not doing well. This advice is for all of you that want to be more eco. If you don't want to be eco, then dont worry about it and carry on. Above all this game is to be fun, and I'm not here to tell you how to have your version of fun.

In that there are several specific tips to look at and some general assumptions:

General Assumptions:

1) You want to have fun, Basically meaning that Time spent is worth the ped spent. I specifically wrote this for people that wish to deposit PED that they can afford to lose for entertainment purposes. In theory this is still solid advice for non depositors as well.

2) MA is going to give you back 90% TT return on only the decay of your weapon, amp, and ammo that you spend on shooting mobs. 10% of it is going to them so they can continue to run this game. This 90% number is a hotly debated theory, but many logs have seemed to point to roughly a 90% TT return for the Long run.

3) The only way to profit in hunting is with MU. Currently for most players of our ability, that is very difficult (or extremely difficult) to do. So, the only thing you can do is hunt smart to make your ped last until your next deposit. Again, Maximizing the amount of fun time vs ped spent (See #1). I am not saying you will not find MU on mobs, do research on Auction, see what has some decent MU, ask friends what drop these items, look on Entropedia, or better yet, go kill some of mobs and see what they drop and record it.

4) You are going to track everything. Use a spreadsheet. Always record your decay on all of your weapons, ammo, amp, armor, fap, etc. Be sure to include in a separate column if there is MU on any of these items. Also log your loot, both TT and with MU then you can see the avg MU on that mob. Then start comparing things. TT vs TT, MU vs MU, etc. Basically, if you don’t know where your ped are going, you don’t know how to fix it.

Specific tips:

1) Bankroll

Do you have enough ped to kill at least 1000 mobs

An easy way to figure out how much ped it takes to kill one mob is this:

(Mob's HP / (dmg/pec of your weapon*100)).

An example:

If eco is 2.95 on your weapon and mob health is 1000, then:

1000/295 = 3.38 Ped to kill

So if a 1000 HP mob is 3.38 ped to kill and you need to kill 1000 mobs, you will need 3380 PED in bankroll to kill that amount.

The reason for this amount of kills is as follows:
It should give you enough number of kills to average out the good and the bad loot periods while hunting.

You will not have to TT your loot into the TT. This will allow you to save the loot for MU and get the most out of even the worst MU items.

This killing of 1000 mobs also takes time, so you won’t blow through your entire bankroll so fast. Ex, fun time vs ped spent.

As you can see, if you don’t have a huge bankroll, go after mobs that have less HP, there is no shame in that, and maybe challenge yourself in a Team hunt on bigger mobs for fun.

2) Weapons - Economy (Eco), Damage Per Pec (DPP)

You need to use the most eco weapon setup you can get for your skills, and for that look at Entropedia.

MU of weapons will dramatically lower your damage per pec, if the MU is high. I believe the MU you spend on weapons is probably not returned to you, and is most lost likely just lost ped.

An example of how Eco on weapons works.

Take a 1000 HP mob and two weapons with different dpp.

One weapon is 3.0 dpp, and the other weapon is 2.5 dpp. (A big difference, but the point is to illustrate the significant difference in Ped spent).

To kill a 1000 hp mob with no regen with the 3.0 dpp weapon costs 3.33Ped. ((1000/(3.0*100)).
To Kill a 1000 hp mob with no regen with the 2.5 dpp weapon costs 4.00 Ped. ((1000/(2.5*100))

If we kill 1000 of these mobs.

The cost to kill 1000 mobs with the 3.0 weapon is 3333 PED.
The cost to kill 1000 mobs with the 2.5 weapon is 4000 PED.

That’s a difference of 667 PED, to kill the same amount of mobs. Put another way, you can kill 1000 mobs vs 833 mobs for the same amount of ped (167 more kills) just based on what weapon you use.

Go with more Eco. Weapons.

3) Finishers and Taggers

Another thing to consider is to use a tagger and a finishing weapon. If your weapon has enough range to not agro all the other mobs around, then you’re ok. But its usually better to have one mob on you then 10.

As for a finisher, when there is only 5 HP left on a mob, u don’t need to shoot it with a weapon that does a min damage of 50, it’s overkill, it costs more, and its not eco. Besides using a finishing weapon of a different type is a nice way to slowly gain skills not in your main profession. Take a look at Melee, it's a nice way to slowly increase your health.

4) Defensive costs - Armor and First Aid Packs (Faps)

I truly believe that armor and fap costs are not reimbursed by mindark, and are lost peds. And even if I am wrong here, it’s just a bad practice to spend a ton of money on defensive costs.

The goal is to keep defensive decay costs at 5% or less of your weapon costs.

Ex.

(armor + fap) / (Ammo + amp + weapon) should be less then 5%

If you are above this 5% range, the mob that you are hunting is too tough for you, or you need to change up armor or fap to reduce the costs. (another option is to increase the damage per second that you do with your weapon, but that’s kind of advanced).

There is a tool on Entropedia that is called Armor advisor. I suggest that you keep the damage as low as possible so that you don’t die while fighting the mob. Typically you want to stay away from always getting 1.0 damage as your armor is absorbing too much damage and decay for the protection that it could give.

As for Faps, always go as Eco as you can. Good starting faps that will last you throughout your career will be the vivo T1, herb box, SI Heart. You will max these in that order as well, and as your skills gain, each one will then become more eco then the other.

Hopefully some of this makes sense and is more clear then mud :) I will have more to follow on different topics.

Last edited:
Back